Recycling isn’t just for cardboard, soda cans and plastic bottles. There are a lot of things around the house that can be recycled into something new.
Do you have a bunch of stubby, broken crayons? Feel bad throwing them out even though no one wants to use them because they’re so small? Instead of throwing them out try melting them down and reshaping them.
Making recycled crayons is a fun, easy project to do with kids. You can also use the recycled crayons for fun party favors or small gifts.
How to Make Recycled Crayons
- Small, broken crayons
- Silicone ice cube tray/candy mold/muffin mold
- Metal baking Sheet
1. Divide the crayons into piles according to color, keeping similar colors together.
2. Remove all of the paper wrapping from the crayons.
3. Fill each try with broken crayons pieces. You can choose to keep the crayons solid in color or to make rainbow crayons.
4. Place the silicone tray on top of a metal baking sheet and transfer it to a preheated 250 degree F oven.
5. Bake the crayons for about 10 – 20 minutes, or until they look melted. Baking time will depend on the size of your molds and how full they are with crayon pieces.
6. Remove the metal baking sheet from the oven and cool at room temperature until hardened. Alternatively, you can chill them in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes for faster hardening.
7. Once cooled, pop your recycled crayons out of their trays.
While SC Johnson is the sponsor of the 30 Green Days Challenge, all opinions and comments within this post are my own.
Fabric rosettes seem to be everywhere right now, but I don’t care because I happen to think that they are the cutest things! Today I’m sharing some adorable rosette finds from the web. Several of these have great DIY instructions while others are items sold on Etsy. Nikkala of The Crafting Chicks shows you how [...]
Not only is it incredibly easy and fast whip up a batch of homemade sugar scrub for yourself, jars of homemade sugar scrubs make great inexpensive gifts for any occasion. This homemade sugar scrub recipe is something you’ll want to take note of for the upcoming holiday season, but don’t forget to pamper yourself once [...]