MAY

Strawberry Mascarpone Scones with Honey Milk Glaze

Breakfast and Brunch, Scones | 22 comments

I don’t really remember what I had thought to say about this recipe. Lately I have so many thoughts swirling around my head and never a moment to write them down. As soon as my head hits the pillow the thoughts come rushing in and I know what I am going to say about what recipe, about what experience I had, about something a child did.

I never want to get out of bed to write it down even though I seem to have the perfect story to go along with the recipe I plan to post the next day. I go over it in my head, telling myself that I’ll remember it in the morning. I only remember that this sleepy conversation with myself happened at all about half the time. And about half of that is how often I actually remember what it was I was musing on. This is one of those times where I remember that I some thoughts to share, but I have no clue what they are. So, I’ll make up something new. And probably less interesting. But it will have to do.

Scones, scones, scones. We love them in our house. I did a little experimenting late Saturday morning and came up with this recipe. Eric and Madeline were off for a run in the jogging stroller for some quality daddy-daughter time. (She is all about daddy right now and it’s making me a little jealous. ok, more than a little jealous) With Logan home to keep me company the house didn’t feel so lonely. He colored and I baked. I watched him draw several portraits of me baking cookies. My love for cooking is either starting to make an impression on him or it was a not-so-subtle hint that he wanted chocolate chip cookies and not scones.

The scones are gone; lasting just over 24 hours. Scones should come with a warning that says if you have a husband who loves baked goods that they must be hidden. These are every bit as good for dessert as they are for breakfast. Or maybe even a post-midnight snack. Eric says he woke up at 3 am on Sunday, ate three, and went back to bed. There were two left Sunday morning when I went down for breakfast.
Strawberry Mascarpone Scones with Honey Milk Glaze
  • 2 Tbs honey
  • 1 1/2 c strawberries, diced
Honey Milk Glaze
  • 1/2 c powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbs honey
  • 2 tsp milk
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest. Mix well and set aside. Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and honey. Using two knives, cut the mascarpone cheese and butter into the flour mixture. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the egg mixture and the strawberries. Gently stir until it forms together. Knead on a floured surface a few times – be gentle so you don’t squish the strawberries. Divide dough into two equal portions. Flatten into 8 inch rounds. Bake at 375 degrees F on a parchment paper lined sheet for 20-30 minutes. In the meantime, combine powdered sugar, honey, and milk for the glaze. Set aside until scones have cooled. Cut each round into eights. Cool on a wired rack. When cooled completely, drizzle with glaze.

Audrey - May 25, 2009 @ 10:23 pm

Found these (and your blog) through Rebecca at Ezra Pound Cake. These look wonderful…I really want to make them as soon as possible!Thanks!

bakerchick103 - May 25, 2009 @ 11:13 pm

I love scones, and those look totally yummy! I, too, found your blog thru Rebecca. What a great recipe!

Anonymous - May 25, 2009 @ 11:23 pm

Our strawberries are about to ripen, and this is the first thing I’m going to make! Thank you! (though I must break the pattern, I found this through Stumble.)

Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates - May 25, 2009 @ 11:53 pm

Oh yummy!!! I am definitely going to make these! And I just noticed the other day that Costco carries Mascarpone cheese – who knew?Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - May 26, 2009 @ 1:09 am

Lisa – I had no idea either. I will have to check it out; thanks for the heads up!

Katja - May 26, 2009 @ 1:49 am

This looks so delicious, thanks for the recipe!

Anne - May 26, 2009 @ 2:38 am

Thanks for the recipe, these look so good!

Susie - May 26, 2009 @ 2:43 am

I saw these on Foodgawker – I think I’m going to make them for my BFF who just loves scones! Beautiful recipe!

angela@spinachtiger - May 26, 2009 @ 2:28 pm

A winning recipe and nice pictures.

Lauren - May 26, 2009 @ 7:04 pm

Love how great this looks and your strawberries look amazing, unfortunately will have to wait till they are more in season, to get anything that resembles that here.

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) - May 27, 2009 @ 12:16 am

Where the heck do you buy mascarpone cheese???

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - May 27, 2009 @ 1:37 am

Carissa – I got mine at Smith’s. In an above comment, Lisa says she’s seen it at Costco. I’m sure Whole Foods (or one of those type of stores) would have it as well.

BrinaMSU - June 01, 2009 @ 12:05 am

Hello Everyone, I would like to share some wonderful information with everyone!!! I am a college student at Michigan State University and last week we had a speaker came to my classroom and had the whole class try a product called Miracle Fruit. It’s a piece of candy that make’s everything sour turn sweet. This product could be good for diabetic’s, people with weight problems, and increase your fruit intake This stuff is astonishing. It’s so amazing that I felt the need to tell everybody else about it. You really should try this stuff guys, it also make’s bitter stuff like beer taste ten times better. I feel the need to share this product with people. I am posting the website below! Trust me, you won’t be disappointed. http://www.theworldsbestfruit.com

Steph - June 01, 2009 @ 3:41 pm

Hello! I just found your blog, and I love it! I also used to live in NM (Rio Rancho). I live now in the midwest. Thanks for sharing these great recipes!

MotherSea - June 19, 2009 @ 12:28 pm

ok, so there i was: hands all sticky, in the middle of the kneading process, when i notice my sugar still sitting in the mixing cup. HA just wanted to make sure you knew that the directions didn't say when to put it in. thanks for the recipe!

Felicia Eis - July 01, 2009 @ 12:27 am

Ooooo yum!!! I found your recipe through Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates and I am so glad that I did because I made scones this morning but I was going to look for a recipe that did not use whipping cream as that stuff can be expensive :P Yours looks really good and easy!!

Debbie - July 03, 2009 @ 8:25 pm

I'm a big fan of scones and of strawberries – and these scones look mighty tempting. What a lovely afternoon supper for summer! Grab my cup of tea and a scone and I'll be set!

bakergirlcreations - July 22, 2009 @ 6:53 am

Katie, I made these and they were fantastic! Thanks for a great recipe.

Mirien - February 15, 2010 @ 12:15 am

We love scones and make them frequently, but this is the best recipe I've ever tried! I made them for my family for Valentine's day breakfast and the recipe made enough for all of us (we have 6 children) but we wish there were more. I'll be making these again soon–thanks for the recipe! Oh, and I didn't have mascarpone cheese so I used cream cheese, and I used half whole wheat pastry flour and half all-purpose.

Stephanie @ Dessert Before Dinner - July 26, 2011 @ 11:44 am

Did you use salted or unsalted butter for this recipe? I recently made a recipe with mascarpone cheese and have some extra I need to use.

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — July 26th, 2011 @ 12:50 PM

I usually use whatever I have on hand.

Stephanie @ Dessert Before Dinner - July 28, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Just made these scones this morning with apricots and ginger. Thanks for the inspiration!