JAN

Pear Almond Scones with Honey Almond Glaze

Breakfast and Brunch, Scones | 29 comments

I was in Utah a little over a week ago and had the opportunity to get together with one of my blogging friends, Maria (who I met last summer and then again at BlogHer Food). We scheduled a morning to hang out and cook together.

During our drive to Utah, Maria and I chatted back and forth through twitter about our menu. I was practically drooling with anticipation after our 10 hour car ride. We made Baked Fritatta with Artichokes, Sun Dried Tomatoes, and Feta (which you can find over at Maria’s blog), Pear Almond Scones with Honey Almond Glaze, and had a granola parfait bar. For drinks we had orange juice and grapefruit water. All you do is slice up wedges of grapefruit, like you would do with lemons, and add them to a pitcher of ice cold water.

The brunch was a huge hit with my family and a great way to celebrate delicious food and great friendships. Maria was such a thoughtful person and made me go sit and talk with my family while she cleaned up the mess. I hope Maria and I have the opportunity to get together for some fun in the kitchen again soon.

Here is the recipe for the Pear Almond Scones with Honey Almond Glaze. If you’ve had bad experiences with dry, dense scones, don’t worry! These scones have a nice crumb and are kept incredibly moist by the diced pears.

For the Baked Frittata with Artichokes, Sundried Tomatoes and Feta recipe see Maria’s blog.

Pear Almond Scones

• 1 3/4 cup fresh pear, peeled and diced

Honey Almond Glaze:

• 2/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • milk, to reach desired consistency

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, almond extract and honey. Using two knives or a pastry cutter, cut the mascarpone cheese and butter into the flour mixture until you have coarse crumbs.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the egg mixture and the pear. Gently stir until the dough forms together. Knead on a floured surface a few times – be gentle so you don’t squish the pears too much. Divide dough into two equal portions. Flatten into 8 inch rounds and transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Score each round into 8 equal triangles.

Bake at 375 degrees F on a parchment paper lined sheet for 20-30 minutes. In the meantime, combine powdered sugar, honey, and almond extract for the glaze. Set aside until scones have cooled. Cut each round into eights. Cool on a wired rack. When cooled completely, drizzle with glaze and sprinkle with sliced almonds.

Jessica - January 25, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

Those scones are drool-wrothy. I love how big they are and the pears look amazing!

Pili - January 25, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

They sound absolutely amazing!Scones with tea are an brilliant combination!

Duchess of Fork - January 25, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

These are beautiful! I've been playing around with a sweet/savory scone recipe for a while now. May have to try this recipe base. Have a great day!

Meghan - January 25, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

Pear scones sound fantastic! Your pictures are great! Just came from Maria's blog – sounds like you ladies had a wonderful brunch!

Amy from She Wears Many Hats - January 25, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

I bet y'all had a blast. The scones sound delicious.

Jason Sandeman - January 25, 2010 @ 2:24 pm

These are lovely! I especially love the teasing photos of berries. They are quite a shock to the system this time of year. I sent this to my Pastry Chef for some inspiration. Thanks!

Maria - January 25, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

Love the scones! I am so glad I was able to taste them:) I had a GREAT time cooking with you! Come visit again…and soon!

RecipeGirl - January 25, 2010 @ 2:37 pm

Wow, they look so good. I'll bet the mascarpone cheese helps out with the moistness too. Wish I had joined you girls- sounds like it was fun!

Rochelle - January 25, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

These look great! I've never tried to make scones but I want to get started on some now!

Jan (Family Bites) - January 25, 2010 @ 2:59 pm

Mmm…delicious! I love how friendships can start via blogging and social media – it sounds like you had a great time.

The Food Hunter - January 25, 2010 @ 3:12 pm

Those scones look really good. I've got to try them

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - January 25, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

Yum… Those scones look amazing! Love all of the photos of your brunch… You two definitely make a great team in the kitchen!

tspegar - January 25, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

Wow! These scones sound fantastic! I am jotting down ingredients to make them this weekend.

Active Foodie - January 25, 2010 @ 4:54 pm

I love scones and these look delicious! I've never made my own and would love to try! Sounds like you gals had fun too!!!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} - January 25, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

Sounds like you and Maria had a blast together! This brunch looks awesome! You guys are quite the team. These scones with the almond, mascarpone and pear sound so good. The sweet of the scones and the savory of the frittata are a great combo for brunch.

Megan - January 25, 2010 @ 5:11 pm

Everything looks delicious. What fun to hang with Maria and cook a wonderful meal. I love the scones!

The Blonde Duck - January 25, 2010 @ 6:24 pm

Popped in from Maria's! It's so refreshing to find delicious and healthy looking baked goods on a cooking site! And I love pears!

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom - January 25, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

I only started making scones last month and am hooked. They are fairly simple to make and delish! I wish I could've been a fly on the wall when you guys cook this wonderful menu! The pictures are lovely.

Sara Tea - January 25, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

wow! these are so beautiful. Ill need to give these a whirl, for whatever reason making scones always intimidates me!

Dana - January 25, 2010 @ 9:53 pm

Those sound delicious. Dry scones are the worst and these look so moist!

cedar chests - January 26, 2010 @ 2:47 am

The scones looked so amazing! I like the glaze so much! I am now drooling over the photos!

Trish - January 26, 2010 @ 3:54 am

Are you serious? These are incredible! Yummy and great photos!

Morgan - January 26, 2010 @ 5:47 am

Scones look delish!!! I am surprised to see strawberries and blackberries in January though; I will have to save this recipe for the summer when I can find all three of those fresh and in season. Thanks Katie for the recipe.

Patsyk - January 26, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

What a fun way to spend time with another foodie friend! Those scones look incredible!

Amy @ Cheerful Cookery - January 26, 2010 @ 5:56 pm

The glaze. The glaze is enough for me – looks so delicious, and I love a sweeter scone, so the pear would be perfect. They look so light, too – delicious!

The Short (dis)Order Cook - January 26, 2010 @ 7:17 pm

Saw this recipe linked on Maria's blog and I had to come over and say hi and check out the recipe. These look scrumptious. I love scones of any type.

Stacey - February 10, 2012 @ 3:40 pm

Amazing recipe – smells delicious even as you make them!

S. Davis - January 02, 2013 @ 7:01 pm

A little confused – not enough liquid to make the glaze with ingredients listed. Did anyone else have this trouble?

• Katie

Katie replied: — January 5th, 2013 @ 11:04 AM

if it is too thick, try adding a little milk until you reach the consistency you desire.