JUL

Grilled Vegetables with Flatbread

Grilled Vegetables, Main Dish, Vegetables, Vegetarian | 16 comments

In a couple of hours I’m on my way to the Albuquerque airport for another trip. Crazy, right? I only got home from Utah after attending Evo Conference three days ago and I didn’t even bother to unpack my suitcase. But, really, who passes up a trip to Scottsdale, Arizona for a day of hands-on cooking with other food blogging friends? It is going to be a blast!

IMG_4590-2

Before I left I wanted to share this recipe for you. Another thing that you just don’t say no to. Grilled vegetables. YES PLEASE. One of my favorite things about summer cooking is throwing vegetables on the grill. Grilling your vegetables gives them so much flavor. I love to use grilled veggies as a side, on a pizza, in pasta, or in this case on flatbread with a delicious Walnut Dressing.

One thing I loved so much about this recipe for Grilled Vegetables with Flatbread was how quick it was to prepare. Grilling the vegetables took at most about 10 minutes to prepare and the walnut dressing only took a few seconds (once you toasted the walnuts – don’t skip that!). A great gourmet weeknight meal. What is your favorite gourmet weeknight meal?

IMG_4601-2

Vegetables with Walnut Dressing
from Food & Wine

• 2 zucchini, sliced diagonally 1/3 inch thick
  • 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
  • 1/2 pound thick asparagus, peeled
  • 1 red onion, sliced 1/3 inch thick
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 1 small shallot, very finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
  • 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest

Preheat the oven to 350°. Light a grill. Brush the zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus and onion with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables over high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred in spots and tender, 15 to 18 minutes (NOTE: this took more like 5 minutes). Transfer the grilled vegetables to a serving platter.

Meanwhile, spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for about 12 minutes, until fragrant. Let cool completely.

Transfer the toasted walnuts to a food processor. Add the shallot, thyme, lemon juice, lemon zest and the 1/2 cup of olive oil and pulse until the nuts are coarsely chopped. Season the dressing with salt and pepper and drizzle over the grilled vegetables. Serve.

IMG_4603-2

Grilled-Vegetable Flatbreads
from Food & Wine

• Vegetables with Walnut Dressing
  • 8 pocketless pitas
  • 2 ounces fresh pecorino cheese, shaved (1 cup)

Light a grill. Cut the grilled vegetables into bite-size pieces and scatter over the pitas. Carefully transfer the flatbreads to the grill and cook over moderate heat just until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the flatbreads to a platter and drizzle the walnut dressing over the vegetables. Scatter the pecorino over the flatbreads and serve.

Note: I think next time I might try tossing these vegetables with some pasta and Athenos Feta for a simple grilled vegetable pasta salad.

Jessica @ How Sweet - July 07, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

Those flat breads look delicious! Grilled is one of the only way I eat my veggies.

Elle - July 07, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

Oh my gosh, that looks so good! We love grilling vegetables and using them in all kinds of ways. Also, roasting big batches in the winter to use in different ways during the week.

TKTC - July 07, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

This looks amazing…putting it on the docket for my mom's visit over the weekend.

Pili - July 07, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

Yum! Sounds absolutely amazing!And I love grilled veggies too, a must try for me!

Aggie - July 07, 2010 @ 5:04 pm

This sounds amazing, I could totally eat these for dinner any night. Will be trying soon. Have fun in AZ!!

Nick (Macheesmo) - July 07, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

Looks beautiful. Man I wish I had a grill. It's really killing me these days!

Cookin' Canuck - July 07, 2010 @ 8:52 pm

Beautiful photos, as usual! This kind of dish is right up my alley and I love the sound of the walnut dressing. Have a great time in Arizona!

We Are Not Martha - July 08, 2010 @ 3:17 am

Perfect!! I have a new flatbread obsession and I love that this one is packed with veggies :) Sues

Amy from She Wears Many Hats - July 08, 2010 @ 11:37 am

This looks fabulous! And you'd never know it was that easy – it looks so sophisticated. Will definitely be trying this soon.Enjoy Arizona! That sounds so cool.

sara - July 11, 2010 @ 3:33 am

i bookmarked this in my last issue, looks great! Your photos look ultra professional, very impressed :)

Trudy ~ veggie num num - July 12, 2010 @ 2:40 am

Everything about this looks and sounds so delicious… walnuts make a wonderful dressing and with the roast vegetables.. so simple a delish!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - July 13, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

Looks beautiful! I saw this recipe in F&W and wanted to try it… Your version makes me want to try it even more!

Anonymous - July 16, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

Who doesn't LOVE feta?DJlunaradam@att.net

Meg T - January 20, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

I made this tonight and put the roasted (don’t have a grill) veggies on Trader Joes pizza dough with some parm cheese. I baked it and then broiled it for the last little bit. Served it with the dressing. SOO good!! Thanks so much for posting this!

• Healthy Kitchen replied: — May 14th, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

This looks absolutely scrumptious! One problem, my boyfriend is allergic to peanuts… any ideas for the dressing to sub out the walnuts? I understand the walnuts would give that nutty and fatty flavour we all crave and don’t want to lose that but may have to sacrifice it and use a balsamic dressing. Thoughts?

• Katie

Katie replied: — May 14th, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

Just look for walnuts that are not processed in a facility that handles peanuts and you should be fine if he only has a peanut allergy.