Bacon Blue Cheese Grilled Flatbread with Arugula
One thing that I love about recipes like this Bacon Blue Cheese Grilled Flatbread with Arugula, is you don’t have to have a set recipe. It’s fun to think outside the box. Look at what you have in the fridge and how you can put that together into a new recipe.
So often when I am cooking dinner it becomes a process of what do I have and how can I put it together into something delicious rather than deliberately following a set recipe. Of course that doesn’t stop me from writing a recipe as I go so I can recreate that dinner if it is a hit and later share it with you!
I happened to have some flatbread in my freezer along with slices of Butterball Turkey Bacon, leftover baby arugula, red onions, and blue cheese.
I love the flavors of blue cheese with balsamic and arugula and I just knew that including crumbled slices of Turkey Bacon would only add to the flavor. Rather than taking the time to make pizza dough and cook a pizza, I decided to serve it almost like a salad on top of some grilled flatbread.
While Bacon Blue Cheese Grilled Flatbread with Arugula isn’t something that I would serve the kids, though they’d eat the flatbread alone and Madeline would scarf down the bacon, it was a delicious light dinner for myself on an evening that I was only cooking for myself.
Sometimes mom needs to cook something that she wants to eat even if no one else likes it – and that is okay!
- 4 individual sized flat bread
- Olive Oil
- 2 ounces baby arugula
- 1 red onion
- 10 slices Butterball Turkey Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Balsamic Syrup
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Balsamic Syrup
- In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar to a boil. Cook over medium-low, stirring occasionally until reduced by half. Stir in the honey and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the Flatbread:
- Cut the onion in half, and then cut each half from end to end into thin wedges. In a medium-sized skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, lightly brush both sides of each flatbread with olive oil. Using a Panini grill, grill each side of the flatbread. After grilling, top with arugula, onions, and crumbled bacon. Drizzle with the Balsamic Syrup and then sprinkle with the blue cheese crumbles. Eat immediately.
Prepare in advance: you can partially prepare this recipe in advance by cooking and crumbling the bacon and caramelizing the onions and then proceeding with the rest of the recipe when you are ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 450Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 39mgSodium 1011mgCarbohydrates 67gFiber 2gSugar 13gProtein 17g