It’s grilling season.
I’ve been waiting for this moment for what feels like an eternity and now all I can think about is grilling.
Truthfully, it doesn’t even matter what it is; if I think it can be grilled, I’m going to try.
Because food just tastes better when it’s grilled.
Especially during those first few warm days of spring, when the birds are signing, the sun doesn’t set until after 7pm and everyone can be outside until it gets dark.
These are the nights that we wait all winter for.
They’re the nights that make living in a snowy, cold place worth it.
While we do eat burgers all year round in my house, it isn’t until the Spring when we really start to get creative.
The grill just gives us so much more room the test new recipes and flavor combos.
This particular recipe was a total win.
We started with lean ground turkey, created think patties with a well in the center, dropped a dollop of creamy goat cheese.
Goat cheese happens to be lower in fat and much healthier than a cow’s cheese like cheddar.
After adding the cheese, we folded the meat over the goat cheese and popped them on the grill.
While the burgers were doing their thing, we decided we needed to have toppings.
And what goes better with goat cheese than bacon, right?
We used peppered turkey bacon (from Trader Joe’s) and also caramelized some onions for a bit of sweetness to counteract the tang of the goat cheese.
The first bite was good.
A juicy burger with a fabulous array of toppings.
But the second bite (and the third and fourth and fifth) was magical.
All of a sudden our burgers turned into ultra creamy, semi-tangy, cheesy bites of heaven.
And now I must say, I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to regular burgers again.
You’ll have to try it to believe it.
What is your favorite way to prepare burgers?
- 1 - 1 1/4 lbs ground turkey breast
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 4 - 6 strips turkey bacon (regular bacon will work)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or as needed)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Form the meat into four even patties. Flatten with your hands and make a well in the center with your thumb. Place 1 oz goat cheese into each well. Wrap burgers around goat cheese and pat gently into 1" thick patties.
- Place on grill and cook 5 - 7 minutes per side depending upon your taste.
- While the burgers are cooking, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon, add onions and sauté until softened completely and starting to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
- When burgers are done, remove from grill and let sit for 5 minutes. Transfer to plates, top with bacon and caramelized onions.
- Enjoy a top a regular hamburger bun or a lettuce wrap (whichever suits your fancy). And of course, enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 370Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 132mgSodium 537mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 54g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.