JAN

Chicken with Tarragon-Mustard Sauce

Main Dish, Poultry, Product Reviews, Quick Meals | 22 comments

Pleasant Hill Grain was kind enough to ask me if I’d be interested in testing out one of the pressure cookers they sell. I hadn’t ever used one, but it’s something I’ve been wanting to learn about for a while so I jumped at the chance.

The model I received is the 5.0 L Duromatic Top Model. Along with the cooker, I received a copy of Pressure Cooking for Everyone. I have lots of recipes in this book marked to try. They all sound delicious and most are accompanied by beautiful photographs.

I’m embarrassed to say that the Kuhn Rikon Pressure Cooker was so simple to use that I couldn’t figure it out at first. I thought, “it has to be more complicated then that.” I couldn’t understand what I was supposed to do with the dial on top of the lid and how exactly to control the pressure of the cooker even though I had read the user manual thoroughly. Guess what? Pleasant Hill Grain is so helpful that they have a full image tutorial on the pressure cooker. If you still have questions, check out the FAQ on pressure cookers. Still need help? Pleasant Hill Grain is very helpful! Lucky, I didn’t need quite that much help. I was just over thinking the process.

Inside the cooker are helpful 1/2 and 2/3 markings to guide you when filling the pot according to your recipe instructions. The lid locks on so easily and once you learn how to gauge the pressure you’ll feel silly for ever thinking it was ever difficult or confusing to use a pressure cooker. I am definitely not an expert on pressure cooking, but I have used my cooker several times now and it’s something I’m glad I know how to do, especially on busy nights.

I know some people worry about the possibilities of exploding pressure cookers. The Kuhn Rikon is entirely different than pressure cookers of the past and is equipped with several great safety features to insure that exploding doesn’t ever happen. Pressure cooker has never been easier or safer.

Now, about the recipe. This was so simple to put together. It might look like a long list of ingredients and complicated instructions, but you can literally start dinner less than 30 minutes before dinner without much prep-time. Once you have the method of pressure cooking down you’ll be even faster. The chicken is so unbelievably tender, you’d think you’d slaved the day away on it and the sauce has tons of flavor.

Chicken with Tarragon-Mustard Sauce

• 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 2 stems fresh tarragon
  • 2 tablespoons half and half
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Sprinkle the dried tarragon, salt, and pepper all over the chicken.

In a 5-7 quart pressure cooker, heat the oil over medium-high heat. In batches, cook the chicken turning once, until lightly browned on both sides, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.

Remove any remaining oil. Add the butter and heat over medium heat. Add the shallots and stir until softened, about 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and saute about 1 minute. Pour in the wine and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits in the cooker. Stir in the stock and add the fresh tarragon.

Return the chicken to the cooker. Lock the lid in place. Bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust the heat to maintain the pressure. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and quick-release the pressure. Open the lid, tilting it away from you to block any escaping steam. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Discard fresh tarragon stems.

Skim any fat from the surface of the cooking liquid. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over medium heat. In a small bowl, combine the half and half, mustard, and cornstarch. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture until completely dissolved. Cook until just thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.

Paula - bell'alimento - January 07, 2010 @ 11:45 pm

I have been wanting to try out a pressure cooker as well! Looks delicious Katie!

Cristie - January 08, 2010 @ 12:06 am

I have been afraid of my pressure cooker, you've given me hope! The chicken looks wonderful.

Jessica @ How Sweet - January 08, 2010 @ 12:56 am

I have never used a pressure cooker – this looks so delicious and moist!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - January 08, 2010 @ 1:25 am

Looks amazing. I think my mom has a pressure cooker, but I have only ever seen her use it for canning. I'll have to give one a try. Perhaps that's a good use for the Williams-Sonoma gift cards I have from Christmas!

Cindy - January 08, 2010 @ 1:41 am

I would not be able to get by without my pressure cooker, I have worn out exactly 2 in 34 years of marriage and am on my 3rd one.

Georgia Pellegrini - January 08, 2010 @ 1:42 am

Looks delicious. I bet the pressure makes the flavors meld together really well.

MeetaK - January 08, 2010 @ 8:30 am

i do not use my pressure cooking half as much as i should usually to make dals or legumes dishes. this sounds awesome though! love tarragon and mustard!

Amanda - January 08, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

Beautifully photography… love the recipe… and wow! A pressure cooker! How fun!

sarah @ syrupandhoney - January 08, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

I've never used a pressure cooker before, so thanks for the review!

tastyeatsathome - January 08, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

I have never used a pressure cooker either, so I'd be right there with you, all confused on how to use it! And I'd be afraid of using it incorrectly and it exploding! :) Looks delicious.

Stacy - January 08, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

My boyfriend's mom gave me a pressure cooker and it scared me! Thanks for this recipe–I will finally give it a try!

lorna sass - January 08, 2010 @ 6:18 pm

Thrilled you're spreading the word about pressure cooking. Let me know if you'd like a review copy of any of my "pc" books and pls check out http://www.pressurecookingwithlornasass.wordpress.com which has lots of recipes. Happy cooking! Lorna

Claire (Culinarygoddess.com) - January 08, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

Looks great! I've never used a pressure cooker and have always wanted to try it

Amy from She Wears Many Hats - January 08, 2010 @ 9:17 pm

It's been years since I used a pressure cooker. After a butter-beans-on-the-ceiling mishap I haven't pulled it out again. The other night we were watching Iron Chef and saw a new one being used and I thought we needed to give it another go. So glad you posted this recipe – it really looks delish.

FC88 - January 09, 2010 @ 2:04 am

Your post reminded me that I used to have a pressure cooker given by my mother-in-law and I was so afraid to use it. I must go find out where it is now. The chicken looks so delicious.

Kitty - January 09, 2010 @ 12:25 pm

My Mom used a pressure cooker and I have been using the same one for 23 years of marriage. They are so helpful when u are short on time and want to prepare a tasty dish. Also great for cheap cuts of meat and u can make excellent vegetarian recipes. If u are afraid of them, get one of the Lorna Sass books: Cooking Under Pressure comes to mind. She also wrote one for Vegetarian Pressure Cooker.If you don't use a Pressure Cooker, u are missing out on one of the very best time savers for the kitchen. I highly recommend you give it a try. The new pressure cookers such as the one reviewed here are easy and safe to use. Thanks

Kitty - January 09, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

Wow. I just looked at the cookers offered on this site and they have so many that look fantastic and free s/h on $99+. Click the link in the review to see them.

DailyChef - January 10, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

I think I'll have to get one of these

Pauline - January 10, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

That looks really good. The sauce really makes it. Wow. I wish I had tarragon and Dijon mustard. This would be a simple, good dinner to make.

The Waspy Redhead - January 10, 2010 @ 9:21 pm

Pressure cookers always seemed so intimidating, though I'm alwasy fascinated when I see them used on TV. This makes it seem a bit more approachable. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous - February 01, 2010 @ 12:37 am

I love Rodgers "Pressure Cooking for Everyone." I got it at Williams Sonoma on clearance for, like, $3.99, and frankly I like it better than the Lorna Sass ones. It seems like so many of her recipes call for a hard-to-find ingredient, and then I'm just turned off to doing it.I find, though, that I add a lot more salt and other spices than he says. Otherwise, for me, they're a little on the bland side.I'm looking foward to trying your adaptation.Melanie

Gwen - May 18, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

sounds great! will try tonight. I have had my Kuhn Rikon pc for a couple of years now and it would be the one "thing" I would save if my house cought on fire! ;-) I use almost every day from making my own baby food to shredded chicken tacos. love your blog.