This Rosemary Roasted Chicken is super moist with a crispy skin. Enjoy tonight for dinner and repurpose the leftovers in another dish tomorrow!
Creating This Crispy Roast Chicken Recipe
I love being able to roast a whole chicken this time of year. I know, I can buy one already roasted at the store. But you know what? I don’t think they taste as good and it’s really not that hard to do it myself.
And if you still need convincing, you can completely customize the flavors of your chicken when you cook it at home and guarantee that you eat it at its freshest. This Rosemary Roasted Chicken was so moist and flavorful. We enjoyed it last week for dinner along with some potatoes and Maple and Bacon Brussel Sprouts.
Another thing I love when roasting a whole chicken is using the leftover meat for an entirely new meal the next day.
I wasn’t able to take photos, but we used the leftover meat from this recipe for panini sandwiches the next day: whole wheat bread, chicken, bacon, provolone, caramelized red onion, and avocado. SO GOOD!
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Rosemary Roasted Chicken Ingredients
You need a few basic herbs and spices to make this juicy roasted chicken, plus your citrus of choice. Here’s what I used for the whole roasted chicken:
- Whole chicken
- Fresh rosemary
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
For the complete ingredient list and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post for the FREE printable recipe card.
How to Make Rosemary Roasted Chicken
I know roasting a whole chicken may seem intimidating, but it’s actually easier than you’d think! In the recipe card below, I’ve given very detailed instructions on how to roast a whole chicken, including the whole chicken roasting time.
Here’s an overview of how the juicy roasted chicken is made:
- In a small food processor, combine the rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange zest, orange juice, and garlic. Pulse a few times until it looks like pesto. Add olive oil, salt and pepper and pulse to combine.
- Using your hands, rub the marinade all over the chicken.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 8 hours to allow the marinade to infuse the meat.
- Remove from fridge about an hour before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place chicken in roasting pan breast side up and place in oven. Roast for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 400°F and roast until done.
- Remove from oven, then cover loosely with aluminum foil and let stand 20 minutes before slicing.
The above is simply a quick summary of this recipe. Check out the free printable card at the bottom of this post for all the detailed instructions.
How Long Do You Roast a Chicken?
This rosemary roasted chicken recipe calls for a 5-pound whole chicken. In total, the whole chicken roasting time be roughly 1 hour 25 minutes to 1 hour 55 minutes.
The chicken will first roast at 425ºF for 10 minutes, then then heat needs to be reduced to 400ºF. The chicken will cook for another 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes at the lower temperature.
What to Serve with Roasted Chicken
This rosemary roasted chicken pairs well with pretty much any veggie or salad. Here are some of my go-to roast chicken sides:
- Orange and Fennel Salad
- Oven-Baked Seasoned Fries
- Copycat Olive Garden Salad
- Garlic Bacon Sauteed Green Beans
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Blue Cheese Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
Don’t see what you’re looking for here? You can always head over to check out the recipe index to look for more recipes.
How to Reheat Roast Chicken
If you’ll be reheating large amount of leftover roast chicken, I recommend warming it in a 350ºF oven for about 10 to 15 minutes (or until heated through). Place the chicken in a baking dish, add a few splashes or water or broth, then cover tightly with foil. This will prevent the chicken from drying out.
If reheating a smaller portion, place the chicken and a little water or stock in a covered saucepan. Warm over medium-low heat until hot.
What to Do With Leftover Roast Chicken
If you wind up with leftovers of this rosemary roasted chicken, lucky you! Here are some recipes that use leftover roast chicken:
- Creamy Chicken Potato Chowder
- Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups
- Chicken, Beet & Arugula Quinoa Bowl
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Southwest Chicken Salad Wraps
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Here are 40 recipes to make using leftover chicken!
More Easy Chicken Dinners:
This easy Tarragon Chicken recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes and can be made in your pressure cooker!
This Baked Honey Mustard Chicken is one of our favorite recipes. Chicken tenderloins are baked in a sweet and savory honey mustard sauce with sprigs of fresh rosemary.
In this Creamy Orange Almond Chicken and Rice, golden brown chicken breasts are smothered in a creamy orange almond sauce and served alongside an almond rice pilaf.
This Orange Marmalade Chicken is a sweet and spicy simple Asian-inspired chicken recipe for dinner. Serve it with rice or quinoa and a side of your favorite veggies.
These Baked Chicken Taquitos are so easy to prepare, you’ll be amazed. Wonton wrappers are stuffed with chicken, cream cheese, and salsa verde.
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
- 1 whole organic chicken, patted dry (about 5 lbs)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh rosemary leaves
- one orange, zested
- one lemon, zested
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of half and orange
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- In a small food processor, combine rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange zest, orange juice, and garlic. Pulse a few times until it looks like pesto. Add olive oil, salt and pepper and pulse to combine.
- Using your hands, rub lemon-oregano marinade all over chicken. Using your fingers, gently lift the skin on either side of the neck and rub plenty of marinade directly onto the breast meat, under the skin. Don’t forget to get some inside the cavity (where the organs were).
- Refrigerate for 2-8 hours to allow the marinade to infuse the meat. Remove from fridge about an hour before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Place chicken in roasting pan breast side up and place in oven. If desired, place small red potatoes all around the chicken and brush them with olive oil or melted butter. Roast for ten minutes. Reduce heat to 400°F and roast about 1 hour and 45 minutes, checking for doneness after 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove from oven, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let stand 20 minutes before slicing.
Adapted from Simple Bites
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 159Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 20mgSodium 1639mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 1gSugar 9gProtein 6g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.