Our Christmas vacation was different than expected, though actually truly enjoyable. I feel like there was a good balance between doing nothing and accomplishing something. I stayed offline almost the entire time and it was certainly a nice break from the day-to-day blogging routine.
We watched movies, stayed in our PJs, tackled lots of chores – Eric busy painting the parts of the house that hadn’t been done and touching up boo-boos made by the kids, Logan and I going through closets and doing a major de-junking of the house. The house feels so uncluttered and great now.
The part that was different than I expected was the food. I had envisioned us cooking and baking up a storm over the break from school and work, but I wasn’t really much in the mood to cook once our vacation started.
I think partly because we didn’t have company. I ended up not even making our Christmas dinner. We were all too stuffed from eating Christmas goodies all day long that a big meal didn’t sound good to us.
Instead we ate the meal originally planned for Christmas on New Years Day. It was nice in a way because by then we had gotten most of our work done and could enjoy a nice dinner. We had this Winter Salad with Oranges, Fennel, and Pomegranates as part of that meal. (You might recognize a version of this salad in photos along side Chicken Marsala)
I’ve always had a hard time with salads in the winter. Or really, produce in general during the winter. I love fruits and vegetables but the varieties are so much more limited. I’m trying to embrace what winter has to offer and figure out creative and different dishes that feature those offerings.
This Pomegranate, Orange and Fennel salad is one of my new favorites. It tastes so bright and un-winter-y during this time of year.
What are your favorite un-winter-y winter dishes to eat?
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
For the Salad:
- 1 head butter or romaine lettuce
- 3-4 medium oranges
- 1 large pomegranate, arils removed
- 1 medium to large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- pinch sugar
- Wash, dry, and tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Remove the peel and pith from the orange by cutting the top and bottom off, and then cutting away the remaining peel around the middle portion. Cut the orange into sections or into rounds.
- Salad may be prepared in a large glass bowl, platter, or on individual serving plates. Layer the salad as follows: lettuce, fennel slices, orange, lettuce fennel, orange - repeating until all of these three ingredients have been used. Top with pomegranate arils.
- To prepare the dressing, whisk the vinegar, juice, oil, salt, pepper, and sugar together. Serve along side the salad.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 312Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 8mgSodium 448mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 10gSugar 25gProtein 5g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.