One of our new favorite treats for breakfast or an afternoon snack are these Orange Spice Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Streusel. I love baking with fall spices. They’re so warm and cozy, especially on a cold and windy day like today, and make the house smell so nice.
Today’s Holiday Recipe Exchange theme is just that: FALL SPICES. Get all of your cinnamon, clove, allspice, and nutmeg recipes ready to share in the Spice Islands Fall Spiced Recipe Exchange. I can’t wait to see what you all have to offer and test out some of the recipes in this week’s exchange.
I’ve made these Pumpkin Muffins a couple of times in the past few weeks and they never last long in our house. Madeline loves the sweet, crunchy topping. Of course, what kid wouldn’t? But I’m a big fan of the whole package deal.
I already have an idea I want to try for next time I make them – Pumpkin Spice Cranberry Muffins.I love fresh cranberries and I think a handful or two of chopped fresh berries would really take these muffins over the edge.
Join Jamie and me this week in sharing your Fall Spice Recipes for a chance to win a great spice gift set from Spice Islands. Jamie and I are both on a spiced pumpkin kick this week. Be sure to check out her scrumptious recipe for Pumpkin Cupcakes with Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting when you head over to My Baking Addiction.
Looking for more Pumpkin Recipes?
Be sure to check out these 25 Pumpkin Recipes to Try this Fall – So, if like me, you have a pumpkin hoarding problem you now have a very good excuse. I’ve just shared my favorite Pumpkin Recipes for you to try this fall.
What is your favorite “fall spice” to cook or bake with?
For the Streusel
- 2/3 cup toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Muffins
- 3 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (can sub half whole wheat)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons/4 ounces) butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 medium eggs, room temperature
- 1 - 14.5 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops pure orange essential oil
For the Streusel:
- Put the nuts for the streusel topping recipe into the work bowl and pulse to roughly chop. Add remaining crumb topping ingredients and pulse until mixture is crumb-like. Remove crumb topping and set aside in a small bowl.
For the Muffins:
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400°F. Spray the insides of muffin cups with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium-large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine.
- Add the softened butter to the bowl of a stand mixer. You may also use an electric hand mixer and a large bowl. Beat the butter in the bowl on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Slowly add the granulated and brown sugar, continuing to beat, until the mixture is fluffy and light, 2-4 minutes. Scrape down the sides with a spatula as necessary.
- Add the eggs, one and a time, and at medium speed until incorporated. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add in the pumpkin, sour cream, vanilla and orange oil and continue beating on low speed. Note: The mixture may look curdled. This is normal. In thirds, add the flour mixture. Be sure to scrape the sides down as needed and combine just until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared muffin cups. I like to use a large cookie scoop that is a scant 1/4 cup in size. Sprinkle the tops with the pecan streusel.
- Bake the muffins for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F, then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for 6 - 12 minutes more, until the muffins are cooked through and the tops are golden.
- Allow the muffins to cool in their pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack until ready to serve.
- Note: The zest of an orange may be substituted for the orange essential oil.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 182Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 29mgSodium 126mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 2gSugar 16gProtein 4g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.
How To Participate
For a chance to win a Spices Baking Gift Set (details of prize specifics below):
- Write and post a recipe on your blog featuring FALL SPICES (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, etc.).
- Include “Come join the fun at the My Baking Addiction and GoodLife Eats Holiday Recipe Swap sponsored by Spice Islands.” in your blog post.
- No blog? Just leave your recipe in the comments section.
- Add your link to the widget on either GoodLife Eats or My Baking Addiction (we have the same widget code, so only add it on one site).
- Submit your post before Nov. 9, 11:59 PM.
- Anyone can participate in the link up, but the prizes will ship to US addresses only.
- More detailed info are available here.
Link Up Your Recipes:
Love any of the recipes featured in today’s Holiday Recipe Exchange? If so, be sure to to use the Ziplist Web Recipe Clipper to add your holiday favorites to your online recipe box.
‘); // ]]>
This Week’s Prize:
Spices included will vary slightly from what is depicted in the photo. See below for a listing of what is included in the Holiday Recipe Exchange Treasure Chest of Spices.
Treasure Chest of Spices:
- Ground Allspice
- Whole Allspice
- Beau Monde Seasoning
- Ground Cloves
- Cinnamon Sugar Grinder
- Poultry Seasoning
- Whole Nutmeg
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Sea Salt
- Rosemary Garlic Blend
- Orange Peel
- Lemon Peel
- Ground Cardamom
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Pure Vanilla Extract
Prizes provided by Spice Islands.