These Baked Wonton Chicken Taquitos are so easy to prepare, you’ll be amazed. Wonton wrappers are stuffed with chicken, cream cheese, and salsa verde. They make a great addition to your next football viewing party as a great appetizer and they freeze well, so you can assemble them ahead of time!
Click HERE to save this recipe for Baked Chicken Taquitos to Pinterest!
Chicken Taquitos – An Easy Wonton Wrapper Appetizer
Before you say anything, yes, I realize chicken taquitos traditionally aren’t made with wonton wrappers.
But when I’m trying to get a semi-healthy appetizer or dinner on the table quickly, nothing beats the ease of using wonton wrappers to make these baked chicken taquitos.
I’m pretty confident that you and your whole family will love this easy Mexican appetizer. It’s full of my favorite ingredients — salsa, cheese, and shredded chicken.
Well, I call it an appetizer, but my family enjoys these baked chicken taquitos as a main dish at dinner too! Serve alongside rice, chips and salsa, and refried beans and you’ve got yourself a full meal.
Click HERE to save this recipe for Baked Chicken Taquitos to Pinterest!
Baked Chicken Taquitos Ingredients
The ingredients in these chicken taquitos are super simple! You’ll need:
- Wonton Wrappers
- Shredded Mexican Chicken
- Cream Cheese
- Pepper Jack Cheese
- Salsa Verde
- Cooking Oil
For the complete ingredient list and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post for the FREE printable recipe card.
How to Make Chicken Taquitos
Shredded chicken is super versatile for weeknight dinners. I almost always keep small, 1 – 2 cup, portions of my favorite Shredded Mexican Crockpot Chicken in the freezer.
I love the flavor that this chicken adds to really simple at home Mexican fare, like these Easy Baked Chicken Taquitos.
Once you have the chicken taken care of, all you have to do is combine a few ingredients (cream cheese, Mexican cheese and Salsa Verde) with the chicken.
Then roll the creamy, cheesy chicken mixture into Wonton rolls. Then, brush with oil and bake.
You’ll combine cream cheese, Mexican blend cheese, and Salsa Verde with shredded chicken. If you prefer a different type of cheese, try Monterrey Jack, Pepper Jack or even just regular cheddar.
The above is simply a quick summary of this recipe. Check out the full recipe in the free printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for all the detailed instructions.
Chicken Taquito Filling Variations
You don’t have to limit this recipe for baked chicken taquitos to chicken! Feel free to stuff the wonton wrappers with a variety of ingredients. Here are a few ideas:
Meat Variations for Baked Taquitos:
- If you prefer pork to chicken, I like this Slow Cooker Southwestern Pulled Pork.
- For Beef Taquitos, use the shredded beef from these stuffed poblanos in place of the chicken.
Salsa Variations for Baked Taquitos:
- Any favorite store-bought brand of salsa verde will work. But, if you prefer homemade, try making a batch of this green salsa – it is worth the extra time!
- To mix up the flavors in these tasty Easy Baked Wonton Chicken Taquitos, try a regular red tomato based salsa in place of the recommended Salsa Verde.
- Another fun idea is to use my favorite Homemade Chile Gravy Enchilada Sauce instead of a salsa.
Vegetarian Baked Taquitos:
No meat? No problem! Swap the meat for equal amounts of beans.
I recommend using half refried beans and half whole beans because the beans provide some texture. Black or Pinto Beans both work great.
Tips for Making Baked Chicken Taquitos
If make ahead appetizers are your thing, I recommend making the filling ahead of time but holding off on assembling or baking until you’re ready to serve.
Enjoy these simple Taquitos straight out of the oven for best results. Once cooked to safe handling temperature, you’ll have a baking sheet full of crispy-on-the-outside, hot-and-cheesy on the inside chicken bites.
Baked Chicken Taquitos FAQ
Got questions about how to make these cheese and chicken taquitos? Here are the answers to a few commonly asked questions. Feel free to leave any other questions in the comments on this post and I’ll respond with answers.
Do I Have to Use Wonton Wrappers?
No! I love how easy the wonton wrappers are to use. In my opinion, they’re the perfect size and you don’t have to fuss with any extra steps to make them pliable, but feel free to use corn tortillas if you prefer.
Because corn tortillas break easily when rolled, it is best to steam them first before rolling, then proceed with the recipe as usual.
Can I Fry These Chicken Taquitos?
Yes, you can fry these if you prefer. A fryer works best, but you can also use a large skillet as long as it is deep enough to accommodate approximately 2 inches deep of oil.
For a fryer, follow the manufacturer instructions for adding oil and heating.
Fried Taquito Cook Times:
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- Add 3 taquitos at a time and fry until golden brown and crispy, approximately 2-5 minutes.
- Drain on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
How to Freeze Chicken Taquitos
To Freeze Unbaked Chicken Taquitos:
- Follow the recipe as written through the assembly step, but do not spray with oil.
- Then, transfer the baking sheet full of the prepped taquitos to the freezer. Freeze until solid.
- Then, transfer the frozen taquitos to a labeled zip top freezer bag.
- To cook, spray the frozen taquitos with oil and bake according to the recipe temperature until heated through, golden and crispy.
To Freeze Baked Chicken Taquitos:
- After preparing and baking the taquitos according to the recipe, cool completely.
- After cooled, transfer the baking sheet full of the taquitos to the freezer.
- Freeze until solid. Then, transfer the frozen taquitos to a labeled zip top freezer bag.
- To reheat: place the taquitos on a baking sheet and cook at 400 degrees until heated through and crispy. Alternatively, small batches can be reheated in the toaster oven.
What to Serve with Baked Chicken Taquitos
All your favorite things for dipping! Salsas, queso dips, guacamole, and sour cream.
Other side items that go great with this chicken taquito recipe are
- pico de gallo
- shredded lettuce
- pickled or fresh jalapeños
When to Serve this Chicken Taquitos Recipe
Homemade taquitos are so versatile! You can serve them on many different occasions, such as:
- An easy dinner recipe for dinner tonight.
- Cinco de Mayo Party.
- A freezer meal that works great for lunches.
- When you’re hosting on game day or throwing a party for the Super Bowl or March Madness.
Try these Homemade Chicken Taquitos!
Next time you’re looking for a a simple party appetizer or easy weeknight meal, give this recipe for cheesy taquitos with chicken a try!
Did you love how easy they were to make and that they’re baked and not fried? Leave a comment below and give it a review for others to see what you thought of this great recipe.
On Instagram? Share your photo and tag me with @goodlifeeats and #goodlifeeatsrecipes. I’d love to see your photo of this chicken taquitos recipe!
More Easy Appetizer Ideas
Check out some of these favorite recipes, or browse the ingredient index archives for even more great appetizers.
Ultimate Easy Nachos Recipe whips up in a pinch and make Super Bowl appetizers super simple to prepare (and serve), leaving you with more time to socialize, eat, and enjoy the game!
Do you like Guacamole? Give this Deconstructed Guacamole a try for something different. It features all of your favorite guacamole elements, but in a deconstructed manner.
Get More Easy Recipe Ideas via Email
Did you love this recipe for Baked Chicken Taquitos? Sign up for Good Life Eats Email Updates and never miss another recipe!
- For the Chicken Taquito Filling
- 1 1/2 cup Crock Pot Mexican Chicken
- 1/4 cup Salsa Verde
- 2 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (for garnish, optional)
For the Chicken Taquitos
- Chicken Taquito Filling
- 16-20 Wonton Wrappers
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons crumbled Queso Fresco or Cotija Cheese, for garnish
- Restaurant Style Salsa or Salsa Verde
- Sour Cream
Making the Chicken Taquito Filling
- Prepare the Crock Pot Mexican Chicken. After it is done cooking, chop it into chunks. Set aside.
- Combine the salsa verde with the softened cream cheese and mix until combined, using a hand mixer if necessary.
- Then, stir in the chicken, pepper jack cheese, and chopped cilantro using a wooden spoon.
Making Chicken Taquitos
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease the baking pan with oil. Set aside.
- Using a pastry brush, brush one side of each wonton wrapper with a small amount of oil.
- Divide the chicken and cheese mixture evenly between each of the wonton wrappers, placing it on the non-oiled side.
- Add the chicken mixture to the center of the wrapper and roll up, leaving the ends open. Then, place rolled wrappers on the prepared baking sheet with the seam side down.
- Repeat until all wrappers have been used.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of each rolled wonton wrapper with a small amount of olive oil.
- Place the pan in the oven on the middle rack and bake at 400 degrees F for 15 - 25 minutes, flipping them halfway through, or until crispy and golden.
Serving the Chicken Taquitos
- Place the baked taquitos on a plate and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro and crumbled cheese for garnish.
- Serve, immediately, with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole for dipping.
Do I have to Use Wonton Wrappers in this Recipe
No! I love how easy the Wonton Wrappers are to use. In my opinion they're the perfect size, and you don't have to fuss with any extra steps to make them pliable.
Feel free to use small corn or flour tortillas if you prefer. Because corn tortillas break easily when rolled, it is best to steam them first before rolling, then proceed with the recipe as usual.
Can I Fry These Taquitos?
Yes, you can fry these if you prefer. A fryer works best, but you can also use a large skillet as long as it is deep enough to accommodate approximately 2 inches deep of oil. For a fryer, follow the manufacturer instructions for adding oil and heating.
Fried Taquito Cook times: Heat the oil to 350 degrees F, add 3 taquitos at a time and fry until golden brown and crispy, approximately 2-5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
How to Freeze Taquitos
To Freeze Unbaked: Follow the recipe as written through the assembly step, but do not brush with oil. Then, transfer the baking sheet full of the prepped taquitos to the freezer. Freeze until solid. Then, transfer the frozen taquitos to a labeled zip top freezer bag.
To cook, brush the frozen taquitos with oil and bake according to the recipe temperature until heated through, golden and crispy.
To Freeze Baked Taquitos: After preparing and baking the taquitos according to the recipe, cool completely. After cooled, transfer the baking sheet full of the taquitos to the freezer. Freeze until solid. Then, transfer the frozen taquitos to a labeled zip top freezer bag.
To reheat: place the taquitos on a baking sheet and cook at 400 degrees until heated through and crispy. Alternatively, small batches can be reheated in the toaster oven.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 210mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 11g