FEB

Mixed Greens with Oranges and Balsamic Steak

Beef, Main Dish, Main Dish Salads, Quick Meals | 15 comments

I had blood oranges for the first time a year or two ago. I loved them. I have always enjoyed citrus. Navel oranges, Cara Cara Oranges, Clementines, Mandarins, Lemons, Limes, Grapefruit. I enjoy them all and was glad to have yet another delicious fruit of citrus variety to eat. Plus, blood oranges are so pretty with their glossy red insides. And I’ve always been a fan of pretty things. Who wouldn’t be smitten by these beauties?

IMG_1597-2

I haven’t ever been very accomplished at describing the subtleties of different flavors. I guess that is something I should work on developing. In the meantime, here’s what Sunkist has to say about what blood oranges taste like: “Take a bite and you’ll become a fan of the intense orange taste that hints of fresh raspberry.” That sounds about right. Who wouldn’t want to eat an orange that tastes like that?

IMG_1607-2

When I saw a towering pyramid of blood oranges last week while at Sunflower Farmer’s Market, I knew they were destined to be made into something delicious and pretty for my blog. It needed to be something that would really showcase their beauty.

I decided on a salad with mixed greens, radishes, navel oranges, blood oranges, and steak. A salad seems simple – maybe even a bit of a cop-out creatively speaking – but the flavors ended up complimenting each other so well. I was definitely pleased with the results, both in taste and beauty.

Mixed Greens with Oranges and Balsamic Steak

• 1/4 cup gorgonzola
  • 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oi
  • 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper

Slice your choice of steak into strips. Combine the vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Toss steak strips with the vinegar mixture. Let sit for 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut the peel off of the oranges all around the edges and slice the oranges into rounds. Thinly slice the radishes. Set aside. For the dressing: Combine the orange juice, oil, mustard, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine. Set aside.

In a saute pan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the beef. Sear on either side, about 1-3 minutes per side. Remove from heat. Fill a dinner sized plate with several handfuls of mixed greens. Top with sliced radishes, oranges, steak, and a sprinkling of cheese. Drizzle with dressing. Serves 2 as a main dish.

Jessica @ How Sweet - February 24, 2010 @ 12:04 pm

That salad looks incredible and refreshing. I love steak salads.

Divina Pe - February 24, 2010 @ 2:59 pm

Really gorgeous salad with so much flavor.

Maria - February 24, 2010 @ 2:59 pm

Leave the steak off of mine and add more oranges:) Looks great!

GrilledShane - February 24, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

I agree with Maria. I am not much of a steak fan, and think this would make a great vegetarian salad. Either way, fantastic. Great photos!

Tasty Eats At Home - February 24, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

Oh I am in love with this salad. Making this ASAP!

Untypically Jia - February 24, 2010 @ 6:23 pm

Oh my gosh that salad looks to die for! It reminds me of a steak and strawberry salad that the girls at Church made 6 years ago for my wedding shower!

Rachel - February 25, 2010 @ 1:38 am

Your photos are absolutely gorgeous. What type of camera are you using? I'm looking for an SLR and would appreciate recommendations.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - February 25, 2010 @ 2:06 am

Hi Rachel – info about my camera can be found on my FAQ here http://www.goodlifeeats.com/2009/08/faq.htmlI am loving my new DSLR, I only recently switched. I spent a lot of time researching prices/models and even testing them out at the store before settling. Good luck in your search!

my spatula - February 25, 2010 @ 6:11 am

so beautiful! my idea of a perfect salad is yours.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - February 26, 2010 @ 4:52 am

What a wonderful salad… I love the bright colors of the oranges!

Jessie @ simplysifted - February 27, 2010 @ 1:45 am

Hi Katie – I just found your site from a link on Joy the Baker. Your pictures are so beautiful! This salad looks amazing. I think I'm going to have to make it this week.

MeetaK - March 01, 2010 @ 6:31 pm

very refreshing katie. i love blood orange too but usually eat them pure – liking it in the salad!

Dee - March 28, 2010 @ 2:45 pm

Yummmm! I think that even I could convince all of the men and boys in my house that Salad IS the Main Course! (Carnivore heaven around here!)

Karen - April 23, 2010 @ 3:13 pm

Katie, this salad is gorgeous. I want a huge bowl!

Maris (In Good Taste) - April 23, 2010 @ 4:22 pm

There is something about steak + citrus that's such a great combination. Looks amazing!