FEB

White Chocolate Coconut Blondies

Brownies and Bars, Chocolate, Dessert | 27 comments

Would you believe it if I said I’ve never made Blondies before? I’ve never eaten one either. I know – how horrible. That’s what you’re thinking isn’t it? Because that’s what I’m thinking now that I’ve eaten one. Or a few. Or maybe one more than what a “few” means.

So when I saw this recipe on my friend Jane’s site (If you like meal planning, head on over there sometime because Sunday nights she posts her weekly menu. Every single week. So fun!), I thought that I better make them.

You know what was one of the most fun things about today though? I got to use my new camera to take pictures of this new (to me) recipe. And my very favorite 2 year old is finally interested in helping me out in the kitchen. I’ve enjoyed these fun times with Logan for several years that now I can share with Madeline too.

I think she just does it because she’s finally realized that I let her lick the bowls, spoons, and whatever else she can get her tongue on. She’s a smart one. Picked up on that little tidbit from her brother, I think.

I have now been initiated into Blondie-hood, or the Order of Blondies, or whatever you call it. I like them very much (I’ve already eaten 4) and I’m sorry it took me so long to make them. I decided to add lemon zest and toasted coconut to the bars for a little extra something.

White Chocolate Coconut Blondies
adapted from Chunky Blonde Blondies

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 of a vanilla bean
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup white chocolate, chopped into chunks
  • 3/4 cup toasted coconut
  • 3/4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped, divided
  • zest of 1 lemon

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla bean*; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the white chocolate, coconut, 1/2 cup nuts, and lemon zest..

Spoon into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan; spread to evenly cover bottom of pan. (Note: spraying a spatula with spray oil helps when you’re spreading the batter) Sprinkle with remaining nuts. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until top begins to crack and is golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack, then cut into bars. Makes about 2 dozen bars.

*Cut the vanilla bean in half, then cut a slit down the middle in the half you are using. Use a knife or spoon to scrape out the beans.

Maria - February 05, 2010 @ 2:49 am

They look great and the photos are very nice:) You need to try blondies more often!

Jan (Family Bites) - February 05, 2010 @ 2:59 am

Katie – I've never made blondies either…funny isn't it? I should maybe start with these ones!

Kristen - February 05, 2010 @ 3:09 am

I've never made or eaten blondies before either! Not sure why…. but yours look delicious!Are these pics with your new camera?

Cookin' Canuck - February 05, 2010 @ 3:17 am

Your photos look great. Have fun with your new camera! I must admit that I have never made blondies either, but this recipe – with the coconut and macadamia nuts (yum!) – looks fantastic.

Amy from She Wears Many Hats - February 05, 2010 @ 3:22 am

Katie! The photography is stunning – way to go.

Michelle (What's Cooking) - February 05, 2010 @ 3:23 am

I am new to your blog (thanks to Twitter!) and just wanted to say what a great feel it has. I feel right at home :-) I LOVE the photos of your daughter licking the whisk! It makes me so happy when I see people cooking with their children.

Jamie - February 05, 2010 @ 3:24 am

I love blondies and yours look delicious! Your pictures look fabulous…we have great taste in plates! ;)

Laura - February 05, 2010 @ 3:24 am

Yummy, gonna have to give your version a try too!

Ashley - February 05, 2010 @ 3:43 am

Oooh, they look yummy! The photos are fantastic. Madeline is a doll. I'm glad you got yourself a new camera!

RecipeGirl - February 05, 2010 @ 4:27 am

First time w/ a blondie? That is amazing. They look delicious & it looks like you're having fun w/ your new toy!

Megan - February 05, 2010 @ 5:39 am

I've never made a blondie either but this recipe looks delicious. I love white chocolate and mac nuts!

Jessica @ How Sweet - February 05, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Ohmigosh these sound incredible – love white chocolate and coconut!!

Tasty Eats At Home - February 05, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

Congrats on your new camera! And these look great – I would LOVE them!

Chocolate Shavings - February 05, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

Those look delicious!

this week for dinner - jane maynard - February 05, 2010 @ 10:37 pm

you are using your camera well, my dear!!! :)

Jennifer - February 05, 2010 @ 11:08 pm

YAY for the new camera!!! :) These blondies look SO good!

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite - February 05, 2010 @ 11:38 pm

I just made blondies for the first time last year and can't believe it took me so long! Love them and yours look great. Nice photos too!

oneordinaryday - February 06, 2010 @ 12:52 am

I've been thinking about making blondies for Valentine's Day. These sound great!

dining table - February 06, 2010 @ 5:55 am

Your kid made me smile. They are the same with mine. He always licks everything that is sticking in my spoons and whisks. They are just so adorable.

Tessa - February 06, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

Your photos look amazing! Yay for great cameras :) I made blondies for the first time recently too for my job, they were surprisingly good.

FC88 - February 06, 2010 @ 5:58 pm

I've never made or eaten blondies before either! It looks so delicious! I may want to try and make it to see how it tastes like. This will be a good recipe to put onto my blog. Of course with your permission first!

Pamela - February 08, 2010 @ 2:20 am

Great pictures! And those blondies look fabulous. I'm sure you'll be making them again soon.

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} - February 08, 2010 @ 5:02 am

I can't say that Blondies are on the rotation around here, but gosh would i dig these. Love the twist with macadamia nuts, lemon and coconut. Perhaps i'll go blond!

Amy - February 09, 2010 @ 1:24 am

I'm so excited that you got your new camera! I know you guys have been saving up for it. I am so impressed! Looks like you have already got the hang of it, mama!! Yummy recipe too :)

Georgia.Pellegrini - February 18, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

I've never made blondies before but this is the perfect recipe to start with!

Luther - December 21, 2010 @ 7:49 am

This is quite a new topic for me. Blondies…never even heard of them before. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Renee Norris - February 01, 2012 @ 1:36 am

I’m new to your blog and am so glad I found it. These look amazing. I’m going to try them tomorrow.