MAR

How To: Solar System Birthday

Appetizers and Snacks, Birthday Recipes, Cakes and Cupcakes, Dessert, Holiday Recipes, Kid Friendly Recipes | 41 comments

Today’s post is a little more mom and a little less food blogger. As you know, Logan turned 5 last week. We had our Solar System birthday party on Saturday and I have to share pictures and details.

We were all so happy how it turned out, especially birthday boy. And the nice thing too is Logan and his friends are all at that age where they just play, instead of all the moms telling all the kids what they should be doing. Everyone was just so excited about everything. Definitely a fun party!

The weather really cleared up in the afternoon and the kids were able to play in the backyard for quite a while with the sun shining. A few moms were there with the kids while others dropped the kids off. It was the perfect balance of having a little extra adult help without feeling over crowded.

IMG_2092-23

Solar System Party Snacks:

• Alien Heads = Grapes
  • Saturn’s Rings = Lifesavers
  • Shooting Stars = Star shaped cheese (sliced cheese cup with cookie cutters)
  • Flying Saucers = Round Crackers
  • Asteroids = Popcorn
  • Crescent Moons = Apple Wedges
  • Astronaut Water = Capri Sun Roarin’ Waters
  • Planet Cupcakes = Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes with Vanilla Almond Frosting

I kept the snacks simple and inexpensive, because I didn’t want to go totally crazy with preparations or spend a ton of money. They’re just 5 year olds. The kids were CRACKING UP LAUGHING at all the funny names I had given the food, like it was the most hilarious thing they had ever heard.

IMG_2074-23

Solar System Party Favors:

• Orbit Gum (get it??? Like a planet’s orbit. TOO PERFECT. I couldn’t pass it up when I saw it in the candy isle.)
  • Bouncy balls with silver glitter inside (pretend the silver glitter pieces are stars)
  • Glow in the dark foam star stickers
  • The Planets, by Holst
  • A solar system booklet I put together and got printed on card stock at Kinko’s. They ended up being too thick to staple, so I put them together with rings instead. That also gives the flexibility to add more pages if you want to.

Again on keeping it simple. I bought the gum in multi-packs so it cost less, balls and stickers were inexpensive. The biggest cost was the booklet, at about $1.66 each. I made the cover to match his invites and had pages on each of the planets with a little fact. I printed only the cover in color (cost less) and kept the inside coloring book style.

I had really wanted to let Logan decorate the brown sacks with space stickers, but I couldn’t find any! Everything is characterized these days, so we printed NASA’s logo and he taped them on.

For our decorations I put a disposable black tablecloth with glow in the dark stars all over on our kitchen table. We hung blue and black balloons on each chair at the table and then big clusters behind the table around our windows.

IMG_2129-2

Logan loved all this presents and has been having so much fun this weekend playing with them. We went to the park this afternoon and flew his new kite and built a lego car this morning (his first set of big boy legos). I really love this book he got. Isn’t it perfect??

I really owe a big thanks to all my friends on Twitter. You guys were invaluable sources of ideas and creativity for this party when my brain was too tired to think. We had a very busy week with lots of appointments that weren’t near our house.

I had so much to do and wasn’t sleeping well and was so worried about how the party would turn out. In the end I pulled it together. And it was worth it! And now Logan can’t stop being so amazed at the cool party and the fact that he’s now FIVE years old. I can hardly believe it myself!

Jessica @ How Sweet - March 08, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

Love that you cut the cheese into stars! Did you just use a cookie cutter?

Amy - March 08, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

I am so in love with this party theme, Katie!! It turned out so good and I am sure Logan must have really appreciated all of the hard work you put into it. I know my little guy would love a theme like that!! Way to go, Super Mom!! ;)

hcrjfrandall - March 08, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

So cute Katie!

Jenna @ Newlyweds - March 08, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

Wow what a great job, love the cupcakes and all the fun alien heads. I know Logan had a great 5th birthday.

Tasty Eats At Home - March 08, 2010 @ 2:14 pm

You are so creative. Great job!

Jan (Family Bites) - March 08, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

Congratulations on what looks like a job really well done. What a fun party idea!

Maria - March 08, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

I am so glad it all worked out. You did an AMAZING job, of course:) Can you come to Utah and plan my hubs birthday in May? :)

Michelle (What's Cooking) - March 08, 2010 @ 9:11 pm

What a fantastic post. I love how you make having a fun party accessible to every family.

Blossy - March 08, 2010 @ 10:13 pm

It looks like the party was a great success! You did a brilliant job. And of course Happy Birthday Logan!

Michelle from Taste As You Go - March 09, 2010 @ 1:26 am

What a great birthday party! I love that you kept the snacks simple and didn't go overboard. And, as a former graduate student in musicology, I *love* that you involved "The Planets" by Holst. Nice work, Katie!

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - March 09, 2010 @ 2:16 am

Jessica – Yes, I just used a cookie cutter for the cheese. I bought a pack of pre-sliced sandwich cheese in cheddar and mozzarella so I wouldn't have to fuss with making thin, even slices.

Jade*ndGinger - March 09, 2010 @ 3:40 am

I LOVE this! I would sooo do something like this for my kids and I totally got the orbit gum thing immediately! The Bouncey Balls…YES! Too too cute! What a fun mommy! I can totally appreciate ALL the effort this took! I say kudos to you! Fun, Fun, Fun!

jami - March 09, 2010 @ 5:38 am

So cute! I saw your solar system cupcakes on TasteSpotting earlier this week. I'm planning my daughter's 6th birthday party, which is sort of themeless, and this is good inspiration! Thanks!

Amanda - March 09, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

Its all so beautiful… just wonderful.. YOU rocked it girl!! I love love love it!Blessings!Amanda

Amy @ Living Locurto - March 09, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

What a cute party!! Everything turned out great:-)

Dacia - March 09, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

Inspired! Very cute ideas!

Trendsetters - March 09, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

very creative…

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - March 09, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

You are such an awesome mom! What great party ideas… I love it!

bridget {bake at 350} - March 09, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

Even your CHEESE is cute!!!

Lowbudget - March 09, 2010 @ 11:49 pm

This is a great idea. It is very age appropriate as well. I am putting this on my list of part ideas. Thanks :)

Stephanie - March 11, 2010 @ 8:21 pm

I especially love the solar system booklets. How cool is that?P.S. Now I want to look up that "On the Moon" children's book! The illustrations look fun.stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

oh amanda - March 12, 2010 @ 8:35 pm

I love a good birthday party! And THIS is a good one. I love all the named food and the handmade mini book is a great idea!I'm linking to this party tomorrow! :)

Kerstin - March 15, 2010 @ 3:46 am

Everything is so cute – I'm so impressed! Happy birthday to Logan!

Jaime - March 18, 2010 @ 11:27 pm

Found you on Life as Mom and I love your blog. This is a beautiful party! Your son must have been ecstatic! PS—The "On the Moon" book is by Usborne books and you can get them from my site or any other consultant's site if you are interested.

Laura - March 19, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

Found you via Life as MOM. GREAT party!!

Tara - October 02, 2010 @ 7:02 am

Great Party! I am planning one as well. Where did you get the Solar System Booklet? Thanks!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — October 2nd, 2010 @ 7:29 AM

Hi Tara – I put the booklet together myself. I’d be happy to email you a copy of the files if you are interested.

• Tara replied: — October 3rd, 2010 @ 5:34 PM

That would be awesome thanks! my email is tara_delucia@yahoo.com

My son is obsessed with the solar system so that is what we chose for his party theme. Your ideas were great – we are stealing a few ;) Thanks again!

• Kassie replied: — June 20th, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your booklet! My boyfriend’s son is loving the solar system these days. We are going to have a solar system b-day party for him next week – he’s going to be so excited about everything…thanks for the ideas!

Jenny - April 22, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

I was wondering where you found the images of the planets? Those are perfect!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — April 22nd, 2011 @ 5:06 PM

Most off of NASA’s website. I don’t have the exact links. I also searched Google Images and picked what I liked best.

Payal - November 26, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

What a fabulous idea! My son is also obsessed with planets and I was looking for a cute party idea. i loved how you incorporated such fun ideas, but still managed to keep it simple and affordable. I was actually searching the internet to try and find a planet/solar system cake idea….but instead of messing with fondant and stuff– I love your cupcakes!

Gina - February 19, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

I came across this when looking for party favors for my son’s upcoming 4th birthday party. You did such an amazing job! Where did you find the bouncy balls? I’ve been looking for something similar, but can’t seem to find the right thing. Thanks!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — February 20th, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

Pretty sure I got the balls at either Walmart or Party City. Good luck!

Rachelle Romberg - November 21, 2014 @ 10:14 am

I love these cheese stars! I would like to use them in an upcoming blog post for BargainBabe.com. I will provide a link back to your site and give you credit!