JUL

Muffins That Taste Like Donuts

Breakfast and Brunch, Muffins | 24 comments

It’s been a while since I posted a muffin recipe. Last week I saw this post for Muffins that Taste Like Donuts on The Pioneer Woman’s Tasty Kitchen blog. Uh oh. I was in trouble. I have actually been craving a donut lately, but haven’t given in to tempation. And now I could satisfy that craving by making muffins!

muffinsthattastelikedonuts

Oh my were these good! But how could anything baked, dipped in butter, and covered in cinnamon sugar not be good. What’s really nice about the recipe is that you probably have every single one of these ingredients in your kitchen on any given day. There is nothing fancy about them. Just regular pantry baking essentials.

donutmuffin

But that’s also potentially a bad thing. Which you already know if you follow me on twitter. Because they’re so easy to make, I’ve made a batch 4 times since I saw the recipe last week. And really that’s all you want to know isn’t it? Are they good! Yes, they are great. The kids loved them, Eric loved them, and obviously I liked them enough to keep making them. So if you haven’t already tried these Donut Muffins, you should give them a go this weekend. I especially love the crunch when you bite into the outer coating.

donutmuffins2

On a side note, the next time I make this recipe I am going to grind some hard white wheat flour and experiment with using fresh whole wheat flour in place of all purpose. That way I can convince myself they’re at least sort of good for me. P.S. Today is the very last Athenos Feta Friday giveaway! Go check it out. This might be your lucky week!

muffinslikedonuts

1 whole Egg
3/4 cup Milk

for the topping:

1/4 cup Butter
1/3 cup White Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon

Grease one standard size muffin pan.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Combine oil, sugar, egg and milk. Add dry ingredients and stir only to combine. Fill standard sized muffin tin with the batter, using a scant 1/4 cup per muffin (I like to use my Pampered Chef Large Cookie Scoop – perfect size & easy!)

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a bowl. Combine the white sugar with the cinnamon in another bowl. Shake muffins out while still hot. Dip muffins in butter, then into the sugar/cinnamon mix. Let cool.

Makes 1 dozen. You might want to double the recipe.

Jessica Lynn - July 30, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

I made something similar that were unbelievably delicious. I'll have to try this recipe next time!

Boston Food Diary - July 30, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

I make these as well! They are SO delicious! Actually- a batch has been requested recently…hmmmm

Deepa - July 30, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

oh wow. I love fresh doughnuts but they are so time consuming. Definitely making these this weekend!

Tracy - July 30, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

Oh my…I seriously can't wait. I am going to go ahead and try the whole wheat flour. Or, I may use spelt and rapadura instead of white sugar. I don't think it will ruin them. You're right about butter and cinnamon…they will just have to be good still, right? I hope so!

sara : 5 o'clock crows - July 30, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

You're killing me! I was sorely tempted before, but now these gorgeous photos have just sucked up the last of my power to resist.I even have all the ingredients on hand. I think muffins and coffee are the plan for this afternoon. yum!

Asha @ FSK - July 30, 2010 @ 4:34 pm

WOW! really?? I have got to try these… perhaps I can finally have baked donuts!! :) ))

Jessica @ How Sweet - July 30, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

I saw these too and am DYING to make them!

whisk-kid - July 30, 2010 @ 7:33 pm

Fabulous pictures. They look wonderful :)

Rachel - July 30, 2010 @ 8:42 pm

I saw these on Tasty Kitchen the other day and wrote the recipe down. I'm happy to hear they have your seal of approval – that means I'll make them this weekend! :) ~Rachel

Pili - July 30, 2010 @ 9:38 pm

Oooooh, I soooo have to try these!! Maybe next week baking time!!

Tracy - July 31, 2010 @ 1:22 am

Ok, I did it and will definitely be making these again soon. They are totally amazing! I used spelt flour, rapadura, and coconut oil and they were incredible. Seriously! My husband just got a second and a glass of milk. This salvaged my failed attempt at tuna steaks tonight. Thanks!

rebecca - August 02, 2010 @ 12:53 am

You know you have a winner of a recipe when it's made four times in one week! (happened to me recently with a s'mores bar.). I will definitely be trying this one out.

My McDonald Meal - August 02, 2010 @ 12:59 am

How funny- I saw this on Tasty Kitchen too and made these with my daughters on Friday morning. We had lots of fun rolling them in the mixture. They even thought we could do the same with a cocoa mixture. They were yummy!

delicieux - August 03, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Mmmmm thinking of muffins that taste like donuts has my mouth watering. Sometimes there is nothing better than a fresh donut but making them is not convenient. I can see having this recipe will definitely get me into trouble!!

Marisa - August 03, 2010 @ 9:05 am

My hubby will be all over this! The man is a donut addict, but unfortunately for him, I've never (nor do I really intend to) make them. These muffins though? Bring it.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - August 03, 2010 @ 11:34 pm

I've been avoiding these muffins for a while now… I know that as soon as I give in, I will eat entirely too many. My willpower is starting to fade, though. Yours look lovely!

Carla - August 09, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

Yum! I wonder how they would be with honey since we have a couple of gallons :0

Sakura - September 27, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

I made these and they are soooo good. :) Wondering if I could use powdered sugar?

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — September 28th, 2010 @ 6:38 AM

I have not tried dipping them in powdered sugar, but I’d say it’s definitely worth a try. Sure sounds yummy! You could just dip a couple in powdered sugar, taste and if it’s good do the rest. If not, do the rest cinnamon sugar.

DawnK - October 12, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

So yummy. The next time we make them, we’ll add some a cut-up apple to them. All the time we were eating them, we wished we thought of apples, when we were mixing them up.

Alisha - November 05, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

Just made them. These are amazing! Next time I’ll increase the baking time. I left this first batch in the oven for 19 minutes, but found they were too soft in the middle to “taste like donuts.”

Natasha @ Saved by the Egg Timer - January 11, 2011 @ 8:30 am

I love your blue dishes and bowls! Where are they from? Gma..thrift store? Is it Pyrex or something else? You just gave me something else to put on my garage sale/ thrift store list, they are so gorgeous!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — January 11th, 2011 @ 10:24 AM

They are Jadite dishes – I got them on ebay, I believe. Just search “Jadite” and you’ll get a lot of results.

Debbie - February 13, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

In the oven right now…. Smells wonderful in here. I found your site yesterday and am really enjoying the tour so far. I’m always in a rut when it comes to making something, and you seem to have filled in all the blanks for me.
    Thank you!!