JUL

Zucchini Muffin Recipe – Zucchini Apple Spice Muffins

Breakfast and Brunch, Freezer Friendly, Garden Recipes, Kid Friendly Recipes, Muffins, Summer Recipes | 16 comments

This morning I was up quite a bit before Logan. Eric was still here and doing some work at the kitchen table before it was time to leave for his appointment with the collision place*.

I took the opportunity to chat with him while I worked on emptying the dishwasher and loaded what didn’t make it in last night. Morning visits like that are not a regular occurrence in our house. Hubby usually leaves for work before I’m even up, so today was a treat.

After a bit, Logan came down and saw me in the kitchen. He wanted to know what I was making. For what? – I was confused because I hadn’t been making anything and wasn’t sure what he was talking about. He already had muffins in mind for breakfast. I already had a bowl of freshly grated garden zucchini. It looked like a plan to me. Time to get going on a zucchini muffin recipe!

I love that he had a request for me. I love that it was something we could enjoy together. There isn’t a lot of that with him being such a picky eater. I love that he knows that he can ask me to make him something special and that I love to do it for him. I love that I used zucchini I grew myself.

Zucchini Muffin Recipe – Zucchini Apple Spice Muffins

• 4 teaspoons baking soda
  • Pinch salt
  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 5 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • couple dashes of ginger
  • Zest of 1 medium orange

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, vanilla, and applesauce. Mix in the grated zucchini and apple and then the melted butter. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger. Add these dry ingredients to the zucchini mixture. Fold in the orange zest.

Line muffin cups with paper liners. Divide batter evenly among cups – I used a scant 1/4 c per muffin. Bake on the middle rack until muffins are golden brown, and the top of the muffins bounce back when you press on them, about 25 to 30 minutes. Set on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Remove muffins from the tin let cool another 20 minutes (if you can wait that long!).

Note: this was a double batch from the original recipe, in addition to a few other changes. Recipe made approximately 3 dozen.

*He was rear-ended 2 weeks ago. Long story short, we finally found out last Friday that the person’s car was uninsured, so our car still hasn’t been fixed and I’ve been picking Eric up at the transit station after work for the past two weeks.

Pili - July 13, 2009 @ 9:33 pm

They sound delicious!! I'll be adding this recipe for those to try when I finally start baking!

Maria - July 13, 2009 @ 9:37 pm

Great way to use up your zucchini!

Kristen - July 13, 2009 @ 10:24 pm

My husband was home in the morning the other day too and it was so nice. He usually leaves for work at 5:30, so having him home when we are awake in the morning is rare!I'm jealous of your home grown zucchini. Looks like Logan had a good plan!

Heidi V - July 13, 2009 @ 11:32 pm

Thank so much for sharing I have extra zucchini from the garden.

Anne - July 14, 2009 @ 2:13 am

Those muffins look delicious! I bet they were awesome with garden fresh zucchini :)

Melody - July 14, 2009 @ 2:44 am

That is the cutest picture ever! Oh, and the muffins look delicious! :) Got to make sure I'm around when everyone is giving away their bumper crop of zucchini this year. This is a must try recipe.

Q. - July 14, 2009 @ 11:43 am

I just got tons of zucchini at the Farmer's Market last weekend so I'm on the hunt for good bread and muffin recipes. My mom always put pineapple in with her zucchini breads/muffins, but I like apples, too. These sound great.

Amy - July 14, 2009 @ 12:36 pm

Those look so good too!! You always have the best food photos. Truly!

Zoe - July 14, 2009 @ 1:19 pm

I love zucchini bread so im sure I would love these muffins. Great for breakfast!

Jennifer - July 15, 2009 @ 12:31 am

I love the use of apples with the zucchinis!! These are perfect! Beautiful pictures :)

Tonya - July 16, 2009 @ 4:37 am

Those muffins look so yummy! I just picked two huge zucchini from my garden and now I know just what to do with them!

Tanya - July 17, 2009 @ 1:23 am

I have so much zucchini and am now determined to make me/ the kids some zucchini muffins. Thx for the recipe.

heartnsoulcooking - August 27, 2009 @ 9:54 pm

Zucchini, YUMMY!!! I love to make muffins. A GREAT!!! fast breakfast for the family. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

Cindy - October 13, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

This recipe makes me want to get up and start baking right away. I have some sad zucchini hanging out at the bottom of the crisper drawer and a surplus of apples. I love it when a recipe comes along to use up all my stray bits. Thanks!