AUG

Sweet Italian Sausage Pasta Toss

Garden Recipes, Italian, Main Dish, Pasta, Pork | 16 comments

I know something is a hit when it gets requested over and over again. Or when it receives rave reviews every time time I make it from a guy (Eric) who doesn’t have favorites. Or when my friend with a picky family says that they all love this one. The guy-who-doesn’t-have-favorites’ verdict on this dish? “It tastes like something from a restaurant.” And from him, that’s a high compliment. No, he’s not talking about any old chain restaurant with a standard “okay” menu. In code, he means: “This is really awesome – I love it! Please make it again, and again, and again.”

Knowing that we have a.) tomatoes up the wazoo, b.) zucchini the size of baseball bats, and c.) someone who loves Italian Sausage coming for dinner, I thought that it was a safe bet to make this dish for my dad last night during his stop into the desert on business. I could tell you how much flavor it had, how garden vegetables made it even better, how fresh herbs make all the difference, but it’s still pretty darn good if you have to use dried, or how incredible the house smells while it’s cooking.

Instead, I think you’ll find these comments during and after dinner a more than convincing argument for making this one pan dish. Dad: “Kate, (my dad calls me Kate) this is so good.” – repeated throughout the course of the meal. Need another testimonial? Dad: “I’m pretty full, and I don’t need more, but would it be ok if I had a little more after we finish working in the yard?” Eric was too busy eating to say much, but I know it’s one of his favorites. Or, how about this conversation as I clean up the kitchen, scooping leftovers into a Tupperware for the next day. Me: “Did you still want some more?” Dad: (eating directly out of the pan) “Yeah…” Me: “Are you going to eat all of my leftovers?” Dad: “No…not all of it.” Me: (thinks) He’s going to eat it all.

It’s safe to say we had a great night last night and food was enjoyed by all. And I certainly didn’t mind Dad working his do-it-yourself magic on the wood border around the play area out in the backyard. I’m looking forward to the weekend and spending more time with my dad once his work stuff in Roswell is finished. He says he can’t tell us what he’s doing down there. Logan keeps asking when Grandpa will be back from seeing the aliens. Of course it’s not true. What would a guy who works in refrigeration have to do with aliens?

Sweet Italian Sausage Pasta Toss
a goodLife {eats} creation

• 1 lb. Sweet Italian Sausage links
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2/3 c chicken broth or white wine
  • 1 3/4 c mini tomatoes (such as grape, cherry, yellow pear, or a mixture)
  • 1 1/4 c mushrooms, quartered
  • 2 zucchini (or 1 if it’s garden sized)
  • 1 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 12 oz. Farfalle (bow-tie) pasta, cooked according to package instructions

Over medium heat, brown the sausage on all sides. Slice into 1/4 inch think rounds and set aside. Chop the onion and saute in the remaining grease and juices from the sausage. After 5 minutes, add the minced garlic and saute another minute or two, until the garlic is fragrant.

Deglaze the pan with broth, wine, or a combination. Be sure to scrape up all the browned bits and whisk them into the liquid – this adds a ton of flavor. Cut the zucchini into half circles, or quarters if the zucchini is really fat. Add the sausage, mushrooms, and zucchini to the pan, stirring until the vegetables are tender and evenly distributed, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the pasta. Serve immediately with freshly grated Parmesan on top, if desired.

retrohousewife - August 26, 2009 @ 11:38 pm

Gotta keep those alien remains on ice or they start to go a little funky in the desert heat, huh?Looks great, glad you are having a good visit with your dad.

Maria - August 27, 2009 @ 2:27 am

Glad you are enjoying your dad's visit. Looks great, I would just take out the sausage for mine:)

Anh - August 27, 2009 @ 4:06 am

What a nice pasta dish :)

Amy@ MomsToolbox - August 27, 2009 @ 5:07 am

This sounds awesome! And I bet it might even tempt my very-few-veggie-eating husband! (The sausage will get him!)

victorian inn bed and breakfast - August 27, 2009 @ 8:04 am

I am a dye fan of Italian Cuisine it is too much delicious and yummy what i say.Its just so mouth watering you cannot resist.

oneordinaryday - August 27, 2009 @ 1:13 pm

Okay, sweet Italian sausage just got added to my grocery list. : )~Michelle

FishMama - August 27, 2009 @ 1:14 pm

I think I would like your dad a lot. Too cute! And a yummy lookin pasta! I better go find breakfast.

tastyeatsathome - August 27, 2009 @ 2:34 pm

Love the recap on the conversation between you and your dad. Great writing. :) And yes, it does look very tasty!

Jamie - August 27, 2009 @ 3:06 pm

Hmmm maybe your dad was exchanged for an alien – you know, like the pod people, and he has to be fed on this fabulous pasta dish? Oh well… But I love pasta dishes that are chock full of veg and tasty things and I can tell this is really a winner!

Kamran Siddiqi - August 27, 2009 @ 3:17 pm

OMG! This looks amazing! I really want this for lunch right now! Great post, Katie!

Susan from Food Blogga - August 28, 2009 @ 12:59 am

Aw, don't you love when you make something for loved ones and they're crazy about it? I'd want seconds too. Italian sausage is my weakness.

angela@spinachtiger - August 28, 2009 @ 1:15 am

I like the idea of getting those veggies in such a flavorful looking dish. Also really jealous of all your garden fare. We have tomatoes (but not so good), big bell pepper and lots of herbs. Next year we need to change something. I did make gazpacho with our garden tomatoes and peppers, which was very good.

Tiffany @ Eat at Home - September 01, 2009 @ 1:29 am

That looks really good. Recipes like that are good for the meat eaters in the family as well as the ones who prefer just the pasta, and those of us who will eat it all.

Real Life Sarah - September 01, 2009 @ 2:19 am

Mmm, looks yummy! We are mourning our tomatoes, which fell prey to the blight this year. We did get enough to can 24 pints of salsa this year, but our 67 plants had SO much more to give!

Anonymous - October 03, 2009 @ 12:05 am

Amazing recipe! This dish is becoming a staple in our house.

Anonymous - June 13, 2010 @ 10:43 pm

Hey Katie! This is funny but we have some frozen sausage and I searched for a sausage pasta in google and your website was the second to come up! How exciting!!-Stephanie