OCT

Apple Cider Roasted Squash

Fall Recipes, Seasonal Recipes, Side Dish, Vegetables | 14 comments

Logan says that all the squash in the grocery stores this time of year are called “squash” because you can squash it. How is that for the logic of a 4 1/2 year old? Also? It’s time to buy pumpkins because it’s October. It’s October because it’s almost Halloween. He had a fun time checking out all the different variety with me on our weekly produce run to Sunflower Market. We came home with acorn and butternut squash.

If you haven’t read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver you are missing out! My book club read this last year and it was a huge hit. It’s inspired me to start a garden and to be more mindful about cooking with the seasons. After all, produce that’s in season is both cheaper and better tasting! (as a side note – I have tons to share about my gardening experience this summer, but I’ll save that for another day) Beyond those ideas, this book offers great recipes and ideas for seasonal menu planning. Since Logan and I picked out several squash while shopping, I thought I’d check out this book for some inspiration. Especially because squash is something I don’t really have a ton of experience preparing.

I loved this recipe for preparing acorn squash. I don’t remember ever liking it as a child, but I don’t know if that’s because my tastes have changed or it really just depends on the recipe. I do know that cooking it in an apple cider sauce with brown sugar and all the best spices of fall plus a little rosemary gives it huge flavor. And it’s super easy! I was in the mood for a light, meatless meal so I served the squash with a great Tortellini Salad, but I bet it would have been fantastic with this Pan Roasted Chicken with Cran-Apple Sauce if you wanted something a little more filling.

p.s. There were some questions on my previous post about my intent to maintain this blog now that I am writing for Paula Deen online. Let me assure you, goodLife {eats} is not going anywhere! And, did you notice that I’m now http://www.goodlifeeats.com/? Please help me with this exciting transition by updating your bookmarks and links.

Apple Cider Roasted Squash
adapted from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

• 1 acorn squash
  • 1 Tbs butter
  • 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp allspice
  • dash nutmeg
  • fresh rosemary, to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut acorn squash in half from stem to opposite end. Scoop out the seeds. Cut off the stem end and discard. Cut several slices 1 inch in width. Melt butter over medium-high heat in a oven safe pan or dutch oven. Add squash slices, toss to coat with butter.

In a bowl, combine the apple cider or juice, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Pour over the squash. Add fresh rosemary, to taste (I used about 2 tsp, coarsely chopped). Stir to coat. Bring liquid to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Sprinkle sugar on top of the squash and cider mixture. Transfer pan or dutch oven to the oven and roast until squash is tender and liquid has caramelized, about 10-20 minutes. Serve!

Maria - October 06, 2009 @ 3:02 am

I love that book and I love this meal!

Ashley - October 06, 2009 @ 4:15 am

We love cooking acorn squash (also from Sunflower!) with brown sugar, but I've never thought about using apple juice/cider. I'll be sure to try that next time!

tastyeatsathome - October 06, 2009 @ 4:20 pm

I love acorn squash. I usually just cut it in half and bake it with some butter, maybe some sugar, salt and pepper. Your dish looks so presentable, and delicious! I'm imagining cutting the slices like that would be sort of difficult, though, sometimes the outer rind is so hard!

angela@spinachtiger - October 06, 2009 @ 6:11 pm

I can see how the rosemary could make all the difference in really starting fall off. The cider too.

Hoosier Homemade - October 06, 2009 @ 7:12 pm

I have to admit that I have never made an acorn squash, at least that I can remember. I bought a Butternut Squash at the Pumpkin Patch last wkend. I'm gonna give it a try tonight.Thanks for sharing the recipe!~Liz

Cara - October 07, 2009 @ 1:54 am

I just finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle recently, and I agree that it was a very inspiring read! I also just cooked acorn squash for the first time…I just baked it with some butter and cinnamon, but I'm looking forward to trying this method next time! Looks delish!

Amy J in SC - October 07, 2009 @ 11:57 am

That does look easy enough. What a great addition to the Thanksgiving table too.

Dana - October 07, 2009 @ 2:33 pm

My mom used to make acorn squash by cutting it in half and filling it with a bit of butter and brown sugar. I never liked it that way, but I think these slices are right up my alley. yum!

Museum Mama - October 07, 2009 @ 5:57 pm

Thanks for the inspiration! I have an acorn squash sitting on the counter and apple cider in the fridge – lookis like I know what I'll be making for dinner!On a side note – I loved reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle! Since reading it, we buy local as much a possible and us the pizza dough recipe once a week for our pizza nights!

vincent - October 07, 2009 @ 7:44 pm

Hello,We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com. We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,enjoy your recipes. Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already membersand benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com. To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site" Best regards, Vincentpetitchef.com

Meal Makeover Mom Janice - October 10, 2009 @ 8:21 pm

What a fun way to cook acorn squash. I usually just cut it in half but this is much nicer. I'll give it a try!

Kristie - October 21, 2009 @ 6:13 pm

That looks delicious! I can't wait to try it out.K

Nurit - November 09, 2009 @ 10:53 pm

This recipe sound heavenly. Alas, no apple cider or juice in sight. I'll have to remember this next time I go grocery shopping!

Sylvia - March 08, 2010 @ 3:38 am

I sure do like squash in the winter! I'm not sure why it's not as appealing in the summer, but for me it's a winter food. I want to try this recipe even though it's gotten a little warm..-SylviaIllusione Cigars