JUL

Kitchen Tip: How to Roast Peppers

Kitchen Tips & Tricks | 13 comments

Roasted peppers can add so much flavor to a variety of dishes: salsa, soups and stews, pastas, and sandwiches, just to name a few. To roast a pepper, you will want to cook it over very high heat until the skin begins to blister and eventually becomes completely blackened on the outside.

There are several methods that can be used to roast peppers, but I have a new favorite to add to that list. And it is so easy. As long as you have a gas stove, there are no special tools required, or incredible hot ovens.

That picture says it all, but just in case you need some more details on this method for roasting peppers, I’ll spill the details. I learned this trick last fall in Napa from chef Jeffrey Saad and he reminded me again a few weeks ago at Evo Conference in the Bush’s Beans Food Workshop.

how to roast peppers

How to Roast Peppers

1. Wash and dry the outside of the pepper. You can roast any pepper, poblano, red bell pepper, Hatch green Chiles and more.

2. Place the pepper on top of the grates on your gas stove. Turn the stove’s flame to medium-high.

3. Cook the pepper until it begins to blister and blacken. Every few minutes, give it a turn so that you can continue roasting on another side.

4. When the whole pepper is completely black, place the roasted pepper in a bowl and cover it with a plate or plastic wrap.

5. Let sit for about 5 – 10 minutes; you’ll want to wait until it’s cool enough to handle.

6. After the pepper has cooled enough to touch, use your fingers to rub off the blackened skin. Discard the skin. The tender flesh below will have a nice smoky flavor to it.

That’s it! Just make sure you wash your hands well afterward to avoid accidental touches to your eyes. If you are roasting many peppers, especially of the hotter variety it is wise to wear rubber gloves while removing the skin.

Delicious Roasted Pepper Recipes

What is your favorite way to roast peppers?

Bev Weidner - July 25, 2011 @ 7:20 am

My heart belongs to roasted peppers.

Dear LORD.

BarefeetInTheKitchen - July 25, 2011 @ 8:41 am

yet another reason to miss my gas range.

For now, I’m content to broil my peppers. Gas is so much better though!

Karly - July 25, 2011 @ 9:08 am

I love roasting peppers, both because they taste amazing and because it makes my husband freak out when he sees me put the food directly on the flame on our stove. Haha!

Kyle - July 25, 2011 @ 9:11 am

I will have to stick to the broiler or my grill, my stove is electric :(

• Katie

Katie replied: — July 25th, 2011 @ 10:07 AM

You can also use a grill/bbq if you have one.

apaler1 - July 25, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

Wonderful explanation. I use roasted pablano peppers for a quesadilla recipe all the time! Thanks for this links to the other recipes. I really want to try the roasted red pepper soup!

Amanda N - Wine and a Spoon - July 25, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

Oh to have a gas stove… That looks so easy! I usually do mine in the oven, but I’ve done them on the grill as well.

Lynette W. - July 25, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

Hi Katie!

I did this when I was in culinary school! Always remember doing it than too. Sadly, have not done it since.

When I was in school doing this – my teacher showed me a neat trick! Instead of placing that pepper in a bowl with the plastic wrap OVER it – put the pepper inside of a throw-away plastic bag. Once the pepper has steamed inside and cooled a bit, you can peel away the skin while it’s still inside of the bag – leaving your hands MESS FREE! Very cool.

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies - July 25, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

Love this. I’m not a huge fan of peppers, but my husband lives for them, so I learned this technique early on. You can use the same one to grill tortillas, but it only takes about 30 seconds on each side :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - July 25, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

Yum! I love roasted peppers.. Great post!

Tracy - July 26, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Wonderful tips!

Jan - July 27, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

With my electric stove I use a hot burner and iron skillet. If the pepper is really lumpy I cut it and seed it first so it lays it flat on the dry skillet. I’ll press the pepper flat with a spatula, bacon press or smaller skillet. When it’s all blistery I put it in a small paper bag (leftover lunch sacks from my son’s school days) and fold down the top to seal it.
    Then I tear open the bag so it lays flat and use a dinner knife to scrape the skin off right onto the bag.
    A toaster oven broiler works well too. The heating element is closer than it is in the full size oven so it blackens faster and heats up the kitchen less.

angela@spinachtiger - August 01, 2011 @ 6:48 am

I learned a trick from a friend to take the blackened pepper and put in wet towel and rub skin off. Works great, but then there is the mess of the towel.