Roasted Red Pepper and Prosciutto Grilled Cheese
I have to admit that bell peppers are probably my least favorite vegetable. I don’t care for them raw, cooked, or – you guessed it – roasted. I know they have their benefits though, and if I am going to force my husband to eat avocado knowing how healthy it is, I better be able to do the same with bell pepper.
Written by: Carla of Carla’s Confections Blog
May is National Grilled Cheese Month, a festivity I can certainly bring myself to celebrate (everyday if I must!), and I sure wasn’t going to miss the opportunity to try out a new grilled cheese sandwich, all in the name of food blogging of course.
I don’t know what possessed me to try grilled cheese with roasted red pepper, what with not liking the stuff and all, but my goodness! I don’t think I’ll ever eat another grilled cheese without the stuff! It is so addicting, and I promise it will knock your socks off! It is the perfect balance to the sharp taste of the cheeses, and gives the sandwich just the right amount of texture.
I went the easy route and bought jarred roasted red bell peppers, so absolutely feel free to go that route. I also adorned this beauty with sliced prosciutto as well as extra sharp white cheddar cheese and Parmigiano Reggiano, because National Grilled Cheese Month deserves some class.
I made these on the stove top using a grill pan, and I placed a non-fitting lid over the top to both press down the sandwich on the grill pan as well as create a closed area to allow for better cheese melting. But feel free to use a panini press, or any available pan you have. No matter what, you can’t go wrong with these!
I am so glad I stepped outside my box to try this, and I promise you won’t be disappointed with it either!
How are you celebrating National Grilled Cheese Month?
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 Tbsp spreadable butter (1 Tbsp per slice)
- 2-4 slices Prosciutto, as desired
- 1 1/2 cup freshly shreddded Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 1/2 cup freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used Cabot)
- 2-3 slices roasted red pepper from the jar per sandwich, as desired
- Freshly shred the cheeses before building the sandwiches. Shredded cheese allows for more even melting throughout the sandwich.
- Spread 1 Tbsp of butter on one side of each slice of bread (this will be the outside of the sandwiches)
- Place 1-2 slices of Prosciutto per sandwich as desired, on one side of the sandwich (non-buttered side). Top with desired amount of roasted red pepper slices from the jar, and add 1 1/2 cups shredded cheeses, reserving the remaining cheese for the second sandwich. Finally top with second non-buttered slice of bread. Buttered sides of bread should be facing out.
- Turn grill pan on to medium-high heat and allow to come to temperature while you build second sandwich the same way as the first.
- Once pan is fully heated through, place one side of the sandwich down on the pan and cover with a lid to press down and allow cheese to melt. Cook for roughly 5 minutes, checking frequently to make sure it is not burning. Once cheese starts to melt and bottom slice of bread begins to turn golden brown, flip sandwich over carefully, and cook for another 5 minutes, checking frequently to ensure even cooking and no burning. Turn heat down if needed.
- Remove carefully and repeat with second sandwich.
- Enjoy warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1757 Total Fat 110g Saturated Fat 62g Trans Fat 4g Unsaturated Fat 35g Cholesterol 334mg Sodium 5077mg Carbohydrates 95g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 4g Sugar 9g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 96g