AUG

How to Freeze and Reheat Pancakes and Waffles

Breakfast and Brunch, Freezer Friendly, Healthy Eating, Kid Friendly Recipes, Kitchen Tips & Tricks | 38 comments

Lazy mornings of pancakes and waffles cooked up whenever the kids fancy are just about gone. In less than a week Logan and Madeline will be heading back to school. Can you hear me sighing with relief?

We’ve been spending our time basking in the last few weeks of summer by going bowling, attending swimming lessons, and taking family field trips to the splash park and science center (where I met blog reader Rachel from Georgia. Hi, Rachel!).

As much as I love spending time with the kids, we’re all definitely beginning to crave the added structure that comes with going back to school. I’m looking forward to being able to spend quality time with them when they’re home, working when they’re not, and being better able to separate work and family time.

I’ve braved the back to school sections of Target, Office Max, Walmart, Staples, and then still had to order one item off of Amazon. Seriously, when did these lists get so complicated?

I finally have everything organized and tucked away in their backpacks. I’ve put away their new clothes – of course hiding Madeline’s because she’ll totally want to wear the “new pretty clothes” before school starts. Yes, I may sound organized, but trust me, this level of organization won’t last beyond the first two weeks.

However, rarely do I have time to make a hot breakfast from scratch, so I rely on this easy method of freezing prepared pancakes and waffles to get me through those crazy school day mornings.

It’s important to me to know what and where the food my kids are eating came from. The best way I know to keep track of that (and keep my sanity) is to add packaged food convenience to the food I make anyway. By freezing homemade pancakes and waffles ahead of time, I’m ensuring that we all have a healthy start to our day.

What’s your best back to school tip for easing the transition?

More Back to School Posts

Print This Print This

How to Freeze and Reheat Pancakes and Waffles

1. Cook pancakes or waffles according to recipe directions. Allow the pancakes or waffles to cool completely.
  2. Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper.
  3. Place the cooled pancakes or waffles on the baking sheet making sure that they do not touch each other.
  4. If you are freezing more that one layer of pancakes or waffles, you can simply use another sheet of parchment to separate the layers.
  5. Place the baking sheet into the freezer. Allow the pancakes or waffles to freeze for at least 6 hours.
  6. Once the pancakes or waffles are completely frozen, stack them in a zip top freezer bag or freezer-safe container.
  7. Use a marker or tape label to add the date to your storage container.

How to Reheat the Pancakes

Option 1 for Reheating Pancakes:
Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Line the desired number of pancakes on the baking sheet and cover with foil. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until they are heated through.

Option 2 for Reheating Pancakes:
Stack pancakes on a microwave safe plate and heat on high for 1 ½ – 2 minutes or until the pancakes are heated through.

How to Reheat Waffles

Option 1 for Reheating Waffles:
Place frozen waffles into toaster and toast as you would a piece of toast. This may take more than one cycle depending on your settings.

Option 2 for Reheating Waffles:
Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Line the desired number of waffles on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until they are heated through.

Aimee @ Simple Bites - August 10, 2011 @ 6:44 am

Great tips, Katie. My boys are pancake crazy and would eat them every morning if they could. ;)

Have a great back to school transition!

Blog is the New BLack - August 10, 2011 @ 6:47 am

Great tips! Wish I read this before I froze the pancakes I recently made… they should be fine but this is a better method!

Barb @ A Life in Balance - August 10, 2011 @ 6:53 am

So helpful! Normally we dump a bunch of pancakes in a quart freezer bag, but that can be frustrating if we only want 1 or 2.

Francesca - August 10, 2011 @ 7:47 am

Very helpful. I’d love to see more tips and recipes on freezing meals. I am going to do this for pancakes the next time I make some.

Shaina - August 10, 2011 @ 7:53 am

The pre-freeze freeze is the best tip. Freezing them all together makes for one lump of frozen pancake goodness that is so hard to defrost and enjoy.

Angie @ Bigbearswife - August 10, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Doesn’t freezing things and then just heating them up when its time to eat, make life so much easier! I’ve been doing this with dinners lately! Love it!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction - August 10, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Great idea! This would certainly come in handy on those lazy Saturday mornings too!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel - August 10, 2011 @ 9:07 am

Great tips! This will be my first year dealing with a child going off to school… so long as preschool counts! Going through big transitions this fall all around. Guess I need to pick up a waffle iron to start :)

Nama - August 10, 2011 @ 9:59 am

This is great! I hate having to throw away fresh waffles and/or pancakes since they simply don’t keep. I’ll definitely start using this method now!

Bev Weidner - August 10, 2011 @ 10:21 am

GREAT info! But I just threw out all my frozen cakes. DOH!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions - August 10, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Geez is it really back to school time already? Thanks for sharing these great tips to have a ‘hot breakfast’ even on busy days.

Tracy - August 10, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

Love these tips!

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. - August 10, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

And you don’t even need to have kids to enjoy a freezer stocked with pancakes and waffles… a husband with a big brunch sweet tooth loves them just as much. :)

Kendra - August 10, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Thanks for this post, Katie. I can rock the waffle and pancake when it’s fresh, but all of my attempts at freezing have been… well, let’s just say unsuccessful. This is great to have in my back pocket.

Cindy - August 11, 2011 @ 5:24 am

Thanks for the post, Katie. I switched over to DeWafelbakkers’s frozen pancakes. Since they taste even better than my homemade and are so much faster for our busy mornings, I’m a raving fan! I also love the convenience of popping a bag of three in the microwave and 60 seconds later, breakfast is on the table. My family’s favorite flavors are blueberry, maple bit, and buttermilk. This has been a great and tasty time saver in our house and you just can’t beat the value!

Lynda - August 11, 2011 @ 5:25 am

Great tips. I like to wrap the cooled pancakes/waffles in wax paper and then store them away. That keeps them separate and easier to warm.

• Janete B. replied: — August 24th, 2011 @ 2:59 PM

This is how I do it too. I insert wax paper or parchment paper in between pancakes/waffles and it seems to work.

WFS - August 11, 2011 @ 7:04 am

I’ll have to try this. Thanks for the tip!

Wenderly - August 11, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

Brilliant ideas love! And those pancakes are stunning.

Peggy - August 12, 2011 @ 6:45 am

What a great set of tips! Perfect for people like me (that always claim to never have time for breakfast) – now there’s no excuse =)

Linda - August 12, 2011 @ 7:34 am

Just thought I’d add a foolproof reheating method. My kids love pancakes and on school days who has the time? So, I make them ahead and they pop them into the toaster, on light. Only takes seconds and they don’t get soggy. I have a real good toaster that has settings for frozen,…..works like a charm.

Linda - August 12, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Another note: My girls and I have spend this summer experimenting with different pancake recipes. Bluberry is still a favorite, but try any canned fruit. Pineapple with a little coconut and nuts (if the kids like them). Peaches, and of course banana with walnuts. Then, we just take all of them and add some chocolate chips…..what a great way to start the day!!!!!

• Gail replied: — December 8th, 2012 @ 2:57 AM

My Mother didn’t make pancakes a lot, but sometimes she used pineapple rings. I thought that was so awesome. Guess that I should make some myself.

Julie H - August 13, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

I don’t pre-freeze mine and just stagger them in the bag and haven’t had a problem getting them to separate when I want just one or two. I do make sure they are completely cooled (and have been in the fridge for a bit) before stacking in the baggie.

Kim B. - August 13, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

You can also freeze french toast & pop it in the toaster oven to heat back up :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - August 15, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

Great tips, Katie! Whenever I make waffles (which is very rarely), I make a double batch and freeze them. Definitely makes for a quick breakfast later on!

Julia@StayAtHomeMoms101 - November 25, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

As a full-time mom I must say this is a great time saving idea. Thanks and a kudos on the recipe.

K - May 09, 2012 @ 1:01 pm

do you havee to use foil to bake the pancakes in the oven? :/ why does it say you dont need to for waffles? What would be different if I didnt use foil bc i feel like it’s unnecessary extra material

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — May 10th, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

Pancakes seem to stick more than waffles, but if you feel it is unnecessary then feel free to omit the foil.

Lisa J. - September 23, 2012 @ 11:38 pm

How long will these keep in the freezer? We’re expecting a baby in about 8 weeks and want to stock the freezer with all sorts of things. Just trying to figure out when we should do up a bunch of pancakes and waffles and how long they will keep. Thank you!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — September 24th, 2012 @ 8:11 AM

I haven’t tested longer than a month because the family always eats them up do fast. I would think 6-8 weeks would be fine.

Julia B. - December 10, 2012 @ 2:48 pm

Thanks for the tips! Freezing pancakes makes my life so much easier, because I only have time to make them on the weekends! This way I can have a nice hot breakfast everyday :)

My preferred method for heating the pancakes is to stick them in the toaster straight from the freezer. It makes them nice and warm inside and a little crispy on the outside, and it only takes about a minute or two. It’s perfect and fast, and I can’t believe I can have pancakes in two minutes!

Squeaky Bear - March 03, 2013 @ 7:22 am

I just made a huge batch of chocolate belgian waffles which I am going to cut in 4s and freeze using your method! Thanks! I don’t know why it hasn’t occurred to me to do this earlier, I make waffles a few times a week. Now dad has an easy breakfast to make the small ones!

Jude' - August 15, 2013 @ 10:00 am

How long do these store in the freezer? Great idea! Thanks!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — August 15th, 2013 @ 10:05 AM

We never keep them longer than a month just because we eat them up that fast.

• Kelly @ My Little Corner of Eden replied: — November 17th, 2013 @ 9:19 AM

Breads and cooked fench toast will freeze well for appx 6-8 months. Given that pancakes have a little higher moisture content though I’d aim for something closer to the frozen shelf life of cakes, 2-4 months. The nice thing about freezing is that the food won’t spoil even if it is kept longe and is perfectly safe to eatr, however the texture and taste can become less appealing over time.

LB - October 24, 2014 @ 11:07 am

Question: Do you thaw out the pancakes before reheating?

• Katie Goodman

Katie Goodman replied: — October 24th, 2014 @ 11:36 AM

I do not thaw them before reheating.