Make morning delicious and healthy with this nutritious recipe for 5 Grain Pancakes with Flax.
My friend Jessica over at Life as Mom and Good (& CHEAP) Eats asked me if I’d be interested in helping her out with a series she was starting called Build a Frugal Pantry. Of course! I’m all about getting good deals on food and I love having a nicely stocked pantry to feed my creativity. Over the next few weeks I’m contributing a couple of different times (flours, quinoa, and beans). It’s going to be a great series!
Today I’m sharing a recipe for 5 Grain Pancakes with Flax. This is a make ahead pancake mix. It makes pancake morning so fast and simple with the dry ingredients all mixed up already. And it has saved me many nights for a fast, simple (but still delicious) dinner. These are a pancake you can feel great about eating!
When we make them, we always prepare a lot of extras so we can fill 2 gallon-sized zip-top bags to store in our freezer throughout the coming weeks. It is totally worth the extra effort (which really isn’t that much). Learn how easy it is to Freeze and Reheat Pancakes and Waffles.
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
For the mix:
- 9 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups barley flour
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 2 cups rye flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups cold-milled flax
- 4 cups powdered milk
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup baking powder
For the pancakes:
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon mix
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar, honey, or agave
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- 1/4 cup pureed pumpkin or mashed banana, optional
For the mix:
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (or stand mixer fitted with the whisk beater if you have a Bosch or large Kitchen Aid). Stir very well, using a whisk, until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Transfer to 2 gallon-sized freezer zip-top bag. Be sure to label the bag with the pancake instructions, as seen below. Store in the freezer for freshness.
For the Pancakes:
- Preheat a griddle over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Combine the beaten egg, butter, sugar, water, vanilla, and any optional ingredients. Mix well. With a wooden spoon, stir in the pancake batter until well mixed.
- Grease pan with spray oil. Add 1/4 cup of batter to the preheated pan for each pancake. Don’t overcrowd. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes before flipping. Large bubbles should be forming on the top of the uncooked side. Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Sensible Cooking
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 65Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 21mgSodium 22mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 1g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.