JAN

Tips for Drinking More Water

Drinks, Healthy Eating | 22 comments

When I shared my 2012 Fitness Goals last week I asked all of you what you had resolved to do to take care of your health in 2012. Besides exercise, one of the most common responses was to drink more water.

I’ve totally been there! For a long time I struggled with keeping my body hydrated. I would wait until I was thirsty before taking a drink. I learned that by that time, your body is already feeling the affects of dehydration.

Last summer I really made an effort to drink the proper amount of fluids for my body because I noticed that I suffered from some of the ill affects of not consuming enough water: my skin was dry, my urine was yellow, and I was low on energy. I thought I’d share with you a few tips to stay hydrated.

HOW TO DRINK MORE WATER

Make it Convenient

Have a water bottle with you whenever you leave the house. I like my 25 ounce CamelBak Stainless Bottle. I bring it with me everywhere. This ensures that I won’t ever find myself thirsty without a water source.

If you have a hard time remembering to drink water, set a reminder alarm on your phone to go off every 45-60 minutes to suggest to yourself that you stop, take a break, and rehydrate.

At first you might feel like your constantly drinking water, but it will become second nature in no time.

Note: After going to the restroom, rehydrate with more water.

Drink Before, During, and Between Your Meals

When you’re eating out, always drink a glass of water before you begin your meal. This will help curb your hunger so that you consume fewer calories and enjoy your meal without overindulging.

Plus, water is the free beverage choice when eating out. Continue to sip water throughout the meal to compensate for higher sodium that is often present in restaurant meals.

Fruits and vegetables contain lots of water that will benefit our bodies and have less calories than heavy ingredients. When ordering out, consider choosing a side salad and sharing an entree with a friend or spouse or a meal with lots of produce in it.

Sip a glass of water with meals and continue to hydrate your body between meals. Often times when we feel hungry, our bodies are really just in need of water rather than calories.

Flavor Your Water

Many people complain that they don’t like the way water tastes. Flavored water is especially great when you’re dining out or entertaining. You still feel as if you’re indulging in a delicious drink, but with far less calories.

When you cut out the calories of cocktails, soda, or other sugary drinks that are often present on restaurant menus (and even in our homes) you can afford to indulge more on your meal. If you still feel compelled to order a drink, ask for a glass of water in addition to your beverage of choice.

tips for drinking more water

Try a few of these tips for flavoring your water:

1. Add a drop or two of 100% pure essential oil to your glass. Essential oils are a great calorie-free and sugar-free flavor option. This is my favorite trick because it hardly takes any time at all and I can take care of it on the go.

• My favorite water flavors are: orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime, or peppermint. I also like to combine mint and lemon or mint and grapefruit.
  • Look for essential oils that are 100% certified pure therapeutic grade, they will not contain additives, chemicals, or filler products.

2. When drinking juice, water it down by 25% to reduce calorie and sugar intake and increase water consumption.

3. Add various produce to your water. Ideas include: muddled herbs and berries, cucumber, and citrus slices.

Refreshing Flavored Water Recipes:

Know How Much Water Your Body Needs

The old recommendation of drinking 8 – 8 ounce glasses of water a day is just an average and more of a general guideline.

To more accurately represent the amount your body needs divide your weight in half and drink that many ounces of water per day.

Example: A person weighing 120 lbs would drink 60 ounces of H2O a day.

Those who are heavy exercisers will feel the need to drink more water than this throughout the day due to the liquids lost in sweat.

Additionally, it is very important to keep your body properly hydrated when visiting high altitudes – even drink more water than normally necessary – to avoid feeling ill.

Start Early and Finish Early

Don’t wait until you feel thirsty to have a glass of water.

I find it easier to drink the proper amount of water when I get started right away in the morning.

On the flip side, don’t consume large quantities of water close to bed – unless you like waking up for frequent, late night trips to the bathroom. I aim to drink most of my water before dinner time and to drink sips here and there up until two hours before bedtime.

What are your tips for drinking more water?

Disclosure: This post is Sponsored By The Cheesecake Factory. It’s Skinny. It’s Delicious. It’s SkinnyLicious.

Francesca - January 19, 2012 @ 7:09 am

Thank you for this post, it is very helpful. Can I ask, where do you get pure essential oil from? Thank you.

Jocelyn - January 19, 2012 @ 7:52 am

Squeezing lemon into your water is an alkalizer, which has health benefits. It’s kind of counter-intuitive, because you think lemon is acidic, but it has been confirmed that it is processed as alkaline. Also, we cut our juice by 50% with water.

Amy - January 19, 2012 @ 9:22 am

Drinking more water is on my list of things to do. I too have noticed how I can easily get dehydrated. It makes such a difference in the way I feel when I’m getting plenty of water.

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions - January 19, 2012 @ 10:56 am

Thanks for sharing these tips. When I worked a 9 to 5 office job drinking lots of water throughout the day was so easy since I was sitting at a desk all day. But now that I work from home and am constantly on the go it is a lot harder for me to get in all that water! To add flavor to my water I add cucumber slices, lemon, or lime slices.

Tracy - January 19, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

Great tips! I love adding lemon and orange slices to water for flavoring. I also carry a water bottle so that I always have some available, and simply as a reminder to drink it!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen - January 19, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

The tip for setting an alarm is great. I always have a water bottle with me so I’m a good water drinker but sometimes you get caught up in something an don’t realize how much time has gone by.

Corrie - January 20, 2012 @ 2:48 am

If you don’t like the taste of water, drinking caffeine-free fruit or herbal teas can be an alternative. Hibiscus- or peppermint-based mixes taste good hot or cold.

Aimee @ Simple Bites - January 20, 2012 @ 7:28 am

I’m under doctor’s orders to drink more water. I like to fill a plastic cup with a lid and a straw and take it with me everywhere. A slice of lemon is essential.

TidyMom - January 20, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

I’m a big water drinker!….it’s all I drink, except I will have a diet soda or tea with dinner, well and coffee in the morning! lol……but I do drink water all day, and always have water bottle with me when I’m out.

Casey@Good. Food. Stories. - January 20, 2012 @ 7:45 pm

I think it’s so weird that people don’t like the taste of water. What does it taste like to them – too metallic? For me, it’s super refreshing.

Suzi - January 21, 2012 @ 5:49 am

Icy cold water tastes better than lukewarm. Keep a bottle of water in freezer or ice box. Another tip: Use ice cube tray to freeze some fruit juice and toss those frozen cubes in your water bottle. I know its cold right now but when temps go up so does your need for water. I think the general rule is: over 90 degrees, double your water intake.

Jamie | My Baking Addiction - January 21, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

I have always been a big water drinker, but I love your tips. Cucumber water is incredibly refreshing and a summer staple in my house.

Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies - January 22, 2012 @ 9:16 am

I don’t have any tips, because I struggle with this. I will be employing some of yours in the next few weeks for sure!

Chef Danielle @Cooking Clarified - January 22, 2012 @ 8:02 pm

Staying hydrated is a huge struggle for me. It helps me to measure out the amount of water I need to drink in a day and keep it in a pitcher just for me. That way I can see how much I’ve had and how much more I need to drink before the day’s out. I think these tips will be really helpful. Thanks!

• Amy replied: — January 24th, 2012 @ 7:37 PM

Thats what i do too! it helps a ton!

JocelynS - January 22, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

I have a tray each of meyer lemons, mandarin oranges and navel oranges in my dehydrator right now. I already have key lime slices that I dried. It’s nice to throw one in the bottle of water I take with me to work every day, they add just a little bit of flavor.

Erin @ Small and Simple Things - January 22, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

I’m with Aimee – for me, a straw makes all the difference in the world. I fill a large mason jar with ice water, stick a straw in it, and keep it on my counter. Every time I walk by, I take a drink. My goal is to drink 4 of those jars every day (about 96 oz).

Mercedes - January 24, 2012 @ 6:59 pm

One of my goals for 2012 is to drink more water so this was great! I just received Lemon flavored Stevia drops, so that is something I am excited to add to my water to get me to drink more!

Louise - January 28, 2012 @ 11:06 am

I drink sparkling water such as La Croix because it has no sodium or artificial flavors. Although it’s a little pricy, you can find it at Costco, and I’ve completely cut out soda. Also, I third the straw idea. I drink so much more when there’s a straw in my glass!

Holly - January 28, 2012 @ 11:35 am

I bought a super big and super pretty (plastic free) bottle that I fill with ice water several times a day.

I also freeze lemon slices in my ice cubes to add flavor.

I use a Brita filter from my tap to take out some of the nasty stuff but I like to get Voss bottled water as a treat – It is a little expensive but has absolutely no flavor at all and it is incredibly refreshing ice cold.

I also drink a lot of unsweetened iced tea as well.

Sue - April 11, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

I struggle with drinking enough water too! One thing that helps me is flavoring a pitcher of water with sliced cucumbers and apples. The water has a nice refreshing taste. I love it!