Flavored with warming spices, orange zest, and ripe bananas, this Orange Banana Bread recipe is a unique twist on the classic recipe!
Creating This Unique Banana Bread Recipe
Every time I mention this orange banana bread recipe to someone, I get lots of oohs and aahs as well as requests for the recipe. I think people are often intrigued because it seems like such a unique banana bread recipe.
However, orange and banana is a perfect flavor pairing! This is basically a tropical take on banana bread, but I still included warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg because it’s just not banana bread without them.
I think all you need to know to be convinced of the greatness of this recipe is that I loved this bread — and I don’t even like bananas! If that doesn’t convince you to try it, nothing will.
Orange Banana Bread Ingredients
In addition to adding orange zest to the batter, I made this banana bread recipe with cream cheese. The cream cheese makes for an ultra moist, rich loaf of bread.
Here’s what else you’ll need for this recipe:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Orange zest
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
For the complete ingredient list and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post for the FREE printable recipe card.
How to Make Orange Banana Bread
This orange spiced banana bread recipe comes together like your average quick bread.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix together the wet in another.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Turn the batter into a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
The above is simply a quick summary of this recipe. Check out the full recipe in the free printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for all the detailed instructions.
How to Store Banana Bread
If you have any leftovers (good luck with that!), store cooled bread wrapped with plastic wrap at room temperature for up to three days.
Can Banana Bread Be Frozen?
Yes! This orange banana bread freezes incredible well. Let it cool completely, then wrap in a few layers of plastic wrap and a final layer of foil. Freeze up to three months.
To thaw, place on the counter overnight.
Can I Use Gluten-Free Flour?
Possibly, although I’ve only made this recipe as written so I can’t say for sure. When baking gluten-free treats, I typically use Cup4Cup all-purpose gluten-free baking blend.
Tips for Making Orange Spiced Banana Bread
- For an even stronger orange flavor, add additional orange zest. Don’t add orange juice to the batter, as the acidic juice will alter the texture of the bread.
- Make sure to use full-fat, brick-style cream cheese for this recipe.
- I bet you could bake the batter in a few mini loaves rather than one 9×5-inch loaf pan, if desired. You’d need to reduce the bake time.
More Unique Banana Bread Recipes:
Thanks to its bright, fruity flavors, this Coconut Lime Banana Bread is perfect for spring baking!
In this Coconut Lemon Banana Bread, classic banana bread got a makeover with some coconut oil, shredded coconut, lemon juice and lemon zest.
This Multi-Grain Banana Bread is a very yummy solution to the overripe banana problem. It’s on the healthier side, but tastes just as good as regular banana bread!
Don’t see what you’re looking for here? You can always head over to check out the recipe index to look for more recipes.
Get More Recipes via Email
Did you love this recipe? Sign up to receive Good Life Eats Email Updates and never miss another recipe!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 large orange (about 2 1/2 Tablespoons)
- 1 1/8 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 pinches allspice
- 1 1/2 cups very ripe bananas, mashed
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Sift together the flour, sugars, baking soda, salt, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Set aside.
- Mix the mashed bananas, cream cheese, eggs, butter and vanilla using a wooden spoon.
- Gently combine the flour mixture with the mashed banana mixture until just combined. Don’t overmix; the batter should look slightly lumpy and thick.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing. Cool on a wire rack.
Storage: If you have any leftovers (good luck with that!), store cooled bread wrapped with plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 243Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 56mgSodium: 216mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 4g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.