Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Brownies
(Written April 29th)
It’s Thursday at 3 a.m. We all miss Daddy who has been gone since Sunday afternoon. I’m tired and wondering just how single moms do this all the time, but I suppose when you have to do it you just do it. There isn’t much of a choice. There is no alternative.
I never sleep well when Eric is out of town: kids waking and calling for Daddy and strange noises I never would have noticed had he been home. Right now a storm is raging outside, something I ordinarily would have slept right through and never been wiser of it’s presence till morning. Instead, I’m on high alert and nothing feels normal.
Dinner without Eric is the hardest. Part of what I love most about cooking (and eating) is doing it for and with my family. Even with my passion for food, it is hard to find the motivation to cook for one. Instead, I broke all the rules last night. Regular routines don’t seem to work anyway when Daddy’s out of town. I let the kids have dessert first. Or in Madeline and my case, we had dessert for dinner. Call me a bad mom, I don’t care. This kept the peace last night. And it was definitely a day worthy of a brownie sundae using my Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Brownie recipe for dinner.
The rain and wind are getting louder now. I don’t know if I will be able to get back to sleep. Or if it will take me till dawn to relax again. At this point the best I can hope for is that tomorrow (or rather, today at this point) will be a little bit smoother. One thing I know: the moment Eric pulls into the garage all will be right again. We’ll transition right back into our routine. We’ll eat dinner for dinner and dessert for dessert. Kids will sleep through the night again and in their own beds. And I certainly won’t be awake at 3:00 with worry when a storm strikes.
The recipe for my Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Brownies can be found in 55 Knives: Recipes, Tips and Stories from 55 Top Food Bloggers. These brownies are quick and delicious with ingredients most of you will already have on hand. They’re perfect by themselves or in a brownie sundae.
- 55 Knives has 55 different authors from various backgrounds. Instead of one person’s viewpoint, you get many.
- 55 Knives not only has recipes, but each recipe comes with a great story. After all, food isn’t just about what goes in our mouths. Cooking and eating is something we should celebrate. By telling the stories behind each recipe, it makes each recipe more meaningful and also makes the book more entertaining!
- 55 Knives gives you ways to reach out to the authors right away and stay connected with them with a simple, interactive PDF.
19 $14 (until 06/04) Gets you instant access to:
- The full 174 page ebook featuring delicious recipes, great stories, cooking tips, and mouth-watering photos.
- A professionally formatted PDF that’s searchable and has multiple, clickable indexes for easy navigating.
- A “blogger index” page so you can quickly connect and communicate with any of the authors in the book.
- A no-questions-asked 30 day warranty. If you decide the book isn’t for you, get a refund for any reason.
- Money saving offers from Grill Charms ($5 value), Secret Stash Seas Salts ($5 value) and OpenSky (10% off select products). Only valid in US. Secret Stash offer also valid in Canada.