Homemade chocolate pudding alternates with whipped cream and a layer of cookies in this easy Chocolate Chip Cookie Pudding Parfait recipe. This sweet treat makes adorable individual servings for a mini pudding parfait, but you can also make one large pudding parfait in a trifle dish.
Creating this Chocolate Chip Cookie Pudding Parfait Recipe
The kids have been asking what is for dessert for the past few days now after we finish up our dinner. I haven’t had anything too exciting to offer lately after being sick for a few days.
Chocolate Chip Cookies (liked, but predictable), fruit leathers (is that even really a dessert?), chocolate chips (definitely doesn’t count), or nothing (positively the worst option of all).
Chocolate pudding, even when homemade, isn’t exactly the most exciting option on the dessert menu. But it is easy. The ingredients are mostly always on hand. Kids love it. And, this should go without saying, chocolate pudding is, well, chocolate. All of which makes this mom love it.
Chocolate Chip Pudding Parfaits
But, you can do a few things to make chocolate pudding a little more exciting than just chocolate pudding.
Take these Chocolate Chip Cookie Pudding Parfaits, for example. We already had some leftover chocolate chip cookies and some whipping cream in the fridge. A few extra minutes of prep and this dessert goes from yum to YUM!
Logan and Madeline were a little excited when I told them in the car on the way to school this morning that I was making chocolate pudding for dessert tonight.
I imagine they envisioned bowls of chocolate pudding, but they’ll be in for a fun surprise when they see me pull these tasty Chocolate Chip Cookie Pudding Parfaits out of the fridge instead.
What is In this Pudding Parfait Recipe
For the Chocolate Pudding:
- Chocolate Milk
- Dark Chocolate
- Cocoa Powder
- Egg Yolks
- Vanilla Extract
For the Whipped Cream
- Heavy Cream or Whipping Cream
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
For the Pudding Parfait Layers
- Chocolate Pudding
- Crumbled Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Whipped Cream
For the complete ingredient list and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post for the FREE printable recipe card.
How to Make a Chocolate Chip Cookie Pudding Parfait
First, make the chocolate pudding.
Combine chocolate milk and dark chocolate in a medium saucepan and cook while whisking until the chocolate is melted.
Then, combine egg yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl. After it is well combined, whisk in cornstarch, cocoa powder, and vanilla.
While whisking, slowly pour the warm chocolate milk mixture into the whisked eggs. Then, return the mixture saucepan and cook while whisking until the pudding is thick. Chill until cool.
Then, make the Whipped Cream.
Combine cold whipping cream and vanilla in a chilled bowl. Beat until loose peaks are formed. Then, sprinkle sugar on top and continue beating until soft peaks are formed.
Assemble the Pudding Parfait.
In a jar or other clear glass dessert dish, layer chocolate chip cookie crumbs, chocolate pudding, and whipped cream, ending with whipped cream on top. Garnish the whipped cream with chocolate sprinkles, chocolate curls, or mini chocolate chips.
The above is simply a quick summary of this recipe. Check out the full recipe in the free printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for all the detailed instructions.
Tips for Making these Pudding Parfaits
Need help separating the egg whites from the yolks? Check out these tips for how to separate eggs.
To Prevent Skin from Forming on the Pudding: While the pudding cools to room temperature, whisking periodically will help prevent a skin from forming on top. When you transfer it to the fridge, pressing the plastic wrap down onto the surface of the pudding will prevent the skin from forming as the pudding chills.
Serving Dish Options: small mason jars, juice glasses, or parfait glasses work great for individual servings. Anything that is individual dessert sized and clear, so you can see the layers, will work for serving in these pudding parfaits.
Need to Make them in a Hurry: Feel free to use your favorite store bought chocolate chip cookies if you don’t have time to bake fresh, homemade cookies to use in this easy dessert recipe.
More Layer Ideas for Easy Pudding Parfaits
Want to get creative with your pudding parfait recipes? Here are some more fun ideas to try!
- Fresh berries, like raspberries, go great with whipped cream and this easy recipe for homemade chocolate pudding
- Slice ripe bananas and layer the banana slices with chocolate pudding, whipped cream, and the chocolate chip cookie crumbs. Or, you can use another cookie, like vanilla wafer cookies.
- Swap out the chocolate chip cookies for cubed pound cake or banana bread.
- Use chocolate mint cookies (thin mints or “grasshopper” cookies) instead of chocolate chip cookies to layer with the smooth pudding
More Fun Chocolate Pudding Dessert Recipes
Looking for some more fun pudding dessert recipes? Here’s a few more that we like!
- Triple Chocolate Raspberry Pudding Parfaits
- Healthier Chocolate Pudding Parfaits
- Dark Chocolate Orange Pudding
- White Chocolate Pudding
- Pumpkin Pudding
4 Fun Ways to Use Chocolate Pudding
Chocolate Pudding Pie – Make a quick graham cracker crumb crust, pour the pudding in, top with a generous amount of whipped cream and garnish with shaved chocolate.
Individual Parfaits – Layer chocolate pudding with whipped cream, other flavors of pudding, granola, fresh fruits, nut butters, shredded coconut, crushed cookies, nuts or anything else that suits your fancy.
Trifle – Layer pudding with cubes of pound cake, brownie chunks, or leftover layer cake.
Crepes – Make your favorite recipe for dessert crepes and fill them with chocolate pudding and fresh fruit.
Don’t see what you’re looking for here? You can always head over to check out the recipe index to look for more recipes.
Get More Recipes via Email
Did you love this recipe? Sign up to receive Good Life Eats Email Updates and never miss another recipe!
For the Chocolate Pudding
- 2 1/2 cups Chocolate Milk
- 5 ounces Dark Chocolate
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 4 large Egg Yolks
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Sugar*
- 3 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste or Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Powdered Sugar
For the Parfait Layers
- 1 1/2 cup Crumbled Chocolate Chip Coookies
- 1 cup Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Chocolate Curls
- Mini Chocolate Chips
For the Chocolate Pudding
- Combine the chocolate milk and chocolate chips in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until the chocolate has melted.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together with a wire whisk until pale yellow. Whisk in the cornstarch, cocoa powder, and vanilla.
- While whisking, slowly pour the warm chocolate milk mixture into the whisked eggs.
- Then, pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat until thick, whisking periodically so the pudding does not burn on the bottom of the pan.
- Turn off the heat and let the pudding cool to room temperature, whisking periodically to prevent a skin from forming on top.
- Alternatively, you can pour the pudding into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap - pressing the plastic wrap down onto the surface of the pudding - and chill until cool.
To Make the Whipped Cream
- Combine the cold heavy cream and vanilla or vanilla paste in a chilled non-reactive bowl.
- Whisk by hand or using an electric mixture until the cream holds a loose peak.
- A soft peak will hold a lazy curve when the beater or whisk is held upside down.
- Then, sprinkle the sugar on top of the whipped cream and continue beating until soft peaks are formed.
To Assemble the Pudding Parfaits
- In a jar or other clear glass dessert dish, layer crumbled chocolate chip cookie crumbs, chocolate pudding, and whipped cream.
- Do as many layers as you would like, but end with whipped cream on top.
- Garnish the whipped cream with chocolate sprinkles, chocolate curls, or mini chocolate chips.
*this will depend on the chocolate milk you use and how sweet it is and how sweet you would like your pudding. I used 1/2 cup of sugar.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 617Total Fat 31gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 177mgSodium 294mgCarbohydrates 73gFiber 4gSugar 45gProtein 13g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.
Have you ever made a pudding parfait?
This blog post is part of a paid SocialMoms and TruMoo blogging program. The opinions and ideas expressed here are my own.