Healthier Chocolate Parfaits
Happy National Chocolate Parfait Day!
Raise your hand if you actually knew it was chocolate parfait day. I had no idea, but I’m certainly happy to celebrate! Who wants a spoon?
Written by: Caroline Edwards of Chocolate & Carrots
The pudding is made with either low fat or no fat milk, low sugar and is thick and creamy just as if there was cream, making it a deliciously lower calorie treat!
But, if you’re like me, you like to decorate that chocolate pudding with some homemade whipping cream and chocolate cookies. You could even take it to the next level with these Triple Chocolate Raspberry Pudding Parfaits.
The beautiful thing about these parfaits is you can customize them with any cookie or candy that you’d like, making these healthier chocolate parfaits your very own. They are even a great way to get your children involved in the kitchen. Put them on stove duty. There’s a lot of stirring involved with pudding!
However you decide to dress them up, have a happy chocolate parfait day!
What treat will you layer in your chocolate parfaits?
More Parfait Recipes:
- Salted Carmel Budino Italian Pudding Parfaits
- Raspberry Brownie Parfaits
- Raspberry Cheesecake Parfaits
- Vanillla Bean Panna Cotta and Strawberry Rhubarb Parfaits
- 3 cups 1% milk (I used 1%, but you can also use skim)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli 60%)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- (Optional) oreos
- In a pot over medium heat, heat the milk, sugar, and cornstarch together until slightly thickened (about 15 minutes), whisking constantly.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl, 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between until melted. Set aside.
- Temper the egg yolk in a medium bowl, by slowly whisking in some of the hot milk mixture to the egg yolk until warmed and tempered. Whisk the egg yolk mixture back into the milk mixture.
- Whisk in the melted chocolate and vanilla. Continue to whisk the mixture while simmering on low for 15-20 minutes until thickened.
- Pour into a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure to have the plastic wrap touch the top of the pudding so that a skin doesn't form. Place the pudding in the fridge to chill for at least 2 hours.
- Once you're ready to assemble the parfaits, beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar on high for about 20 seconds until it forms soft peaks. Be sure not to overbeat.
- Layer the pudding and whipped cream (optional oreos too). Serve cold.
Feel free to add in other candies or chocolate chips as layers in your parfaits.
This recipe makes enough for 2 very large parfaits or 4 small parfaits.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1033 Total Fat 66g Saturated Fat 41g Trans Fat 2g Unsaturated Fat 21g Cholesterol 250mg Sodium 212mg Carbohydrates 90g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 4g Sugar 76g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 20g