On the weekends Logan and I often spend some time in the kitchen together. He is particularly a fan of helping me bake. Instinctively, he knows that baking almost always involves sugar and frequently involves chocolate. Such a smart boy! As much as I love sharing this time together, with a nearly 4 year old it can be stressful at times. Big messes. Missed ingredients because of distraction. Not following directions. The dreaded “meltdown.” Sometimes I really want to get the job done fast, but he is determined to help me.
- 1 1/8 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 11 Tbs butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 tsp pure orange extract
- 3/4 tsp grated orange zest
- 2 oz. coarsely chopped chocolate (preferably semi-sweet or dark chocolate)
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbs softened butter
- 1/2 pound confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbs orange zest
- 1 Tbs orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9 inch pan with foil and grease with cooking spray.
- Stir together flour, granulated sugar, and salt in a bowl. Add butter, eggs, orange extract, and orange zest. Using a handheld electric mixer, beat until well blended. Stir in chocolate chunks.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until light golden brown and set. Remove from oven, allow to completely cool and pierce entire cake with a fork.
- Once cool, Lift brownies out of pan and remove foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the butter and cream cheese together with a hand-held electric mixer. Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until it is all combined and smooth. Beat in the orange zest and juice.
- Spread the Orange Cream Cheese Frosting over cooled brownies. Cut into squares. Garnish with shaved chocolate.
adapted from Paula Deen
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 401Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 11gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 90mgSodium 296mgCarbohydrates 57gFiber 1gSugar 47gProtein 4g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.