This time of year I always look forward to enjoying more summery recipes after months of eating comfort food of things like soups and chili. Pasta salad is always a favorite of mine in the summer (yes, it is finally summer and school is officially out!).
Pretty soon our days will consist of swimming lessons, pool time, attempts at grocery shopping with two kids, baseball practice and games, family vacations, and trips to the library for new books…basically a lot of fun things that we don’t always have time for during the school year.
I don’t usually have a lot of time to cook in the summer. How could I when we often spend the entire afternoon at the pool only to arrive home and have everyone wanting to eat immediately?
During the summer I rely on very simple meals for dinner. And I thought you might like to know that it isn’t a 5 star restaurant in our house every evening.
This Rainbow Tex-Mex Tortellini Salad is great as an easy meal for dinner that I can throw together before we head out for some fun and stash in the fridge for later.
You can jazz pasta salad up, dumb it down as much as your summer schedule needs to, and certainly customize it according to your fridge’s contents. Leftovers are great packed in a cooler and eaten poolside for lunch.
This post is brought to you by Tap Influence. All opinions are my own.
- 10 ounces Cheese Tortellini, cooked according to package instructions and cooled
- 1 cup diced grilled chicken (seasoned with your favorite southwestern spices)
- 2/3 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup thawed frozen corn (or canned corn, drained and rinsed)
- cilantro to taste, finely chopped
- 1 cup packed baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons purple onion, diced
- 2/3 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 - 2 limes
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin to taste
- Combine all ingredients and toss gently. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before eating.
- This recipe is flexible. You can include as much or as little of each ingredient as you like. I've noted some guidelines to give you a starting point, but customize this according to your family's preferences.
Leftovers may be stored in the refrigerator and eaten within 2 days of preparation.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 486Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 90mgSodium 622mgCarbohydrates 62gFiber 7gSugar 12gProtein 31g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.