APR

Garden Fresh Panini

Frugal Recipes, Poultry, Quick Meals, Sandwiches | 18 comments

Today I’m guest posting for Marie over at Make and Takes. In celebration of Earth Day, I’m talking all about gardening. For more pictures of spring in Sunny, New Mexico and our garden head over and visit Make and Takes.

We’ve been super busy getting our garden in and ready for the spring and summer months. I do so much cooking and love fresh veggies that we thought a garden project would be a great idea this year. We’ve had a fantastic time putting it together and tending it. I’m anxiously waiting to indulge in the fruits of our labor. We’ve planted asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, green onions, sugar snap peas, lettuce seeds, basil, tarragon, dill, cilantro, parsley, blueberries, tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers…I think that’s it! Madeline and I got to eat two small strawberries yesterday. I can’t wait for more sweet and juicy goodness!

I’ve learned that whole chicken is a very frugal way to eat, and it was so tasty! After 2 nights of Easter Dinner, I sliced up the leftovers and froze them. Eric took the drumsticks in his lunch the day after. Last week we used those leftovers for two nights of these delicious paninis. I also used the scraps and chicken carcass to make a great homemade chicken stock. I’d say that the $10 for an organic whole chicken was well worth it! Today I’m sharing a wonderful garden fresh recipe and a great way to use up leftover roasted chicken, like the one we made for Easter Dinner.

Garden Fresh Panini with Leftover Roasted Chicken
a goodLife {eats} creation

Slice bread into pieces a half an inch thick. Place two slices of mozzarella on one piece of bread. Top with chicken, tomatoes, and basil – as much or little as you like of each.

Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, about a 1/2 tsp of each per sandwich. Top with two more pieces of cheese and the final piece of bread. Grill using a panini press until bread is golden and cheese is melted.

Tips: If you don’t have a panini press, there are many other ways you can achieve similar results. Additionally, you can use sun dried tomatoes as a substitution for fresh. This is a great meal on a hot day with something cold to drink and fresh fruit or veggies on the side.

Maria - April 22, 2009 @ 2:30 pm

Love this panini. We use our panini press all of the time. We had roasted asparagus last night for dinner. I just love Spring!

livinghealthyintherealworld - April 22, 2009 @ 2:31 pm

That looks fantastic! I love making paninis in my George Foreman grill. I bet that a little bit of green pepper would taste great in there too.- Sagan

RecipeGirl - April 22, 2009 @ 2:32 pm

Yummy! This looks perfect and garden fresh!

Nate-n-Annie - April 22, 2009 @ 4:58 pm

Hi,I would like to include your recipe in our “Grow Your Own” roundup this month! For information on how to enter, please go tohttp://chezannies.blogspot.com/2009/04/hosting-april-2009-grow-your-own.htmlAloha, Nate

Melissa - April 22, 2009 @ 6:15 pm

Ohhhhhh, does this look good.

modernemotive - April 22, 2009 @ 6:17 pm

Oh my, this looks delicious.I plan on meal planning for next week and this is one is definitely going on. Thanks for sharing.

Aimée - April 22, 2009 @ 6:26 pm

That must have been one big chicken!Your garden sounds lovely. We’ve got at least another 2 weeks before it’s safe to plant.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - April 22, 2009 @ 8:10 pm

Aimée – it was a normal sized chicken but it was just my hubby and I and the kids (age 4 and 1 1/2) for Easter. The kids didn’t eat any of the chicken. Probably around 5 lbs.Nate-n-Annie – Thanks! I sent you an email.

Kathy - Cooking On the Side - April 22, 2009 @ 9:27 pm

Caprese + roasted chicken = wonderful panini, in my book! Best of luck with your garden – I’m so in awe of people with green thumbs :-)

Alli Worthington {@alliworthington} - April 22, 2009 @ 9:46 pm

nom nom nom I’m putting this on Worthington Wire!

Kristen - April 23, 2009 @ 3:18 am

That looks so delicious – nothing like a fresh panini sandwich!I wish I had a knack for gardening. Instead I have a black thumb :)

Marci @OvercomingBusy - April 23, 2009 @ 4:37 am

I keep saying I want a panini press. Now, I really need one. That sandwich looks great!

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - April 26, 2009 @ 3:44 pm

Kathy – we’ll see how it goes! last year we only grew herbs. Alli – thanks so much!Kristen – hopefully we’ll be able to reap the rewards of our work. our first time growing veggies. only herbs last year!Marci – I love mine! It’s been a great purchase. I got it off of amazon for about $30.

Evening Shade Morning Latte - May 01, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

Ok this is certainly a must try dish. My taste buds are going into over load just looking at it.

Amanda Jo - May 01, 2009 @ 4:45 pm

And suddenly my lunch today seems sub-par! This looks AMAZING!! I am so excited to try it and try out the rustic bread recipe!!

Anonymous - May 01, 2009 @ 8:39 pm

saw your recipe on Grow Your Own Roundup. I LOVE the photo and you know it’s delcious because someone’s already taken a bite!

Andrea - May 02, 2009 @ 1:26 am

We also like to use our homegrown herbs and lettuces in panini. They give such a fresh flavor. Glad you could join us in Grow Your Own!

chikadeez - May 06, 2009 @ 11:18 pm

I made this panini for dinner tonight and it was awesome!!!! I changed it up just a little bit. We had pot roast for dinner last night (see link below for recipe). We also added baby spinach, salt and pepper, and used rosemary focaccia bread. We pressed it on our George Foreman grill and it turned out beautifully!Pot Roast Recipe:http://simmertilldone.com/2008/01/16/an-empty-pantry-and-a-perfect-pot-roast/