JUL

Waffles with Apple Cider Syrup and Pecans

Breakfast and Brunch, Breakfast Breads, Sauces | 18 comments

I’ve mentioned before that Eric makes the best waffles. I love when I wake up to a batch of them in the freezer – just pop them in the toaster oven and enjoy on a weekday morning. We enjoy them for breakfast, snacks, even dinner.

Last Sunday we had breakfast for dinner. I had planned to make these, but decided I wasn’t up for pitting cherries and remembered that I had been wanting to make the Apple Cider Syrup we had at our MOMS Club Waffle Breakfast. It was so good I found myself enjoying seconds and thirds of waffles just to have more syrup.

The syrup is really simple to make and goes great with chopped apples and pecans. I can’t think of a better breakfast to enjoy on a fall morning (fall seems so far away right now). Meals like this make me wish I had time to make breakfast every morning. I so easily get bored with cereal.

Apple Cider Syrup
adapted from my MOMS Club cookbook

• 3/4 c sugar
  • 1/4 c brown sugar
  • 2 Tbs cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 c apple juice or cider
  • 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 c butter

Mix sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg well. Add apple cider and lemon. Bring to a rapid boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in butter. Store refrigerated in a lidded container – I used a canning jar. Use within 1 week.

Eric’s Waffles

• 1/2 c butter, melted
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 2 1/4 c flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 c milk
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • pinch of salt
  • twist of lemon

Sift dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add egg yolks and milk to dry ingredients and beat together thoroughly.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Stir 1/2 of the egg whites into the batter, and then fold in the remaining egg whites and stir until well blended. Add butter and twist of lemon, and mix until smooth.

Pour scant 1/3 c of batter on the heated waffle mold. Makes about 10-16 waffles.

Waffle Toppings

• 1 1/2 c Pecans
  • Cinnamon
  • Raw Sugar
  • 1 Tbs butter
  • Chopped apples

For the pecans, I just sprinkled with a bit of raw sugar and cinnamon and dotted with about a tablespoon of butter, then baked at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes. Coarsely chop the pecans after baking.

Chop up a couple apples, toss in the saucepan used to make the syrup (and any remaining dregs of syrup after you’ve poured it into a storage container) until the apples are warmed and slightly softened.

Update 10/26/09: Regarding questions on canning this syrup, please see here.

Maria - July 09, 2009 @ 2:45 pm

What a breakfast treat!

Jamie - July 09, 2009 @ 2:48 pm

Those look divine!!!

Zoe - July 09, 2009 @ 4:05 pm

This is so awesome! I love love waffles.

Katerina - July 09, 2009 @ 4:39 pm

Yum! This sounds great, I love fresh fruit on waffles and pancakes but have never made my own syrup. (Unless you count combining berries and maple syrup in the microwave.)

Anne - July 09, 2009 @ 6:20 pm

Those look delicious! And it sounds like such a divine Fall breakfast, too :D

Lo - July 09, 2009 @ 7:45 pm

The last recipe I tried for cider syrup was lots of work and turned out to be hopelessly boring. And, needless to say, I never attempted it again.This recipe, on the other hand, is just loaded with gorgeous stuff. It looks amazing! And the waffles don't look too shabby either! :)

Jennifer - July 10, 2009 @ 1:58 am

WOW those are amazing!!! I know what I want saturday morning! I love that apple cider syrup!

Melanie Anne - July 10, 2009 @ 2:47 am

Oh wow–these sound amazing! My friend was telling me about a family favorite breakfast of pumpkin pancakes with apple cider syrup. I am definetly going to try your recipes out! Thanks so much!

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - July 10, 2009 @ 3:08 am

Melanie Anne – I bet this syrup would be AMAZING with pumpkin pancakes (or pumpkin waffles)…thanks for the idea!

Cheri - July 10, 2009 @ 12:24 pm

These waffles and the syrup look amazing. I think I need to buy a waffle maker! Love your site.

Nicholle - July 10, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

Goodness…I need to go home and make these waffles…right…NOW!

Debbie - July 11, 2009 @ 5:38 pm

Oh. my. goodness.Waffles are my favorite breakfast food – and I love pecans with my breakfast food – these look divine… And the syrup looks so easy to make. The pecans would be great on salad, too.

marybeth at www.babygoodbuys.com - July 15, 2009 @ 4:52 pm

Oh wow, that syrup looks fantastic! I remember seeing a recipe for pumpkin waffles–I'm thinking they would go great together in the fall.

Lenetta @ Nettacow - July 18, 2009 @ 7:42 pm

Sounds awesome! Now I need a waffle iron – there was an incident with mine and I've yet to replace it. :>) I linked to this on my weekly roundup, post is here. Thanks!

UnfinishedMom - July 24, 2009 @ 2:18 pm

Can I just say.. Yum. Oh these look sooooo good. I think I just gained a pound looking at them. :)

aladyinred - October 24, 2009 @ 1:24 am

Do you think that you could can this syrup for longer storage time?

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - October 24, 2009 @ 1:27 am

aladyinred – that is a question that I do not have an answer to. I've only ever canned jam and salsa. I have a good friend who cans all the time. I'll ask her and get back to you. :)

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - October 26, 2009 @ 8:33 pm

As far as the question about canning this syrup here are the instructions (but please note that I have not personally tried this, so I can not vouch for taste after canning):-Boil the syrup for one full minute.-Divide evenly among sterilized canning jars. -Follow typical canning protocol.-Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.More details on this method of canning can be found here: http://www.freshpreserving.com/filebin/pdf/howto/high_acid.pdf