Happy 4th of July: Cherry Limeade Cupcakes
Happy Fourth of July! Guess what I’m taking to a BBQ tonight? Cherry Limeade Cupcakes. So it’s not exactly patriotic looking, but who doesn’t love Sonic’s Cherry Limeade…why not try it in cupcake form?
I’ve seen this idea on Tastespotting and been wanting to give it a try. I’m not the most accomplished cake or cupcake decorator. I’ve only used frosting tips maybe five times in my life and didn’t own any until this morning, but I think the cupcakes look pretty cute.
It’s worth noting that I barely had enough frosting for 18 cupcakes. It was really cutting in close. The cake recipe made 21 cupcakes (would have probably been 24, but I sampled some batter, ok a lot, and a few cupcakes were bigger than others). The kids ate a couple of cupcakes so we ended up with 18 and frosting for all, but just barely.
- 2 1/4 c cake flour
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 c whole milk or buttermilk
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- zest of 3 limes
- 1 stick (8 Tbs or 4 oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp pure lemon extract
- 3 3/4 cups confectioner’s’ sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 Tbs maraschino cherry juice
- red food coloring (optional)
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tins with liners. Makes 18-24 cupcakes.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together the milk and egg whites in a medium bowl.
- Put the sugar and lime zest in a mixer bowl or another large bowl and rub them together with your fingers until the sugar is moist and fragrant. Add the butter and working with the paddle or whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer, beat at medium speed for a full 3 minutes, until the butter and sugar are very light.
- Beat in the extract, then add one-third of the flour mixture, still beating on medium speed. Beat in half of the milk-egg mixture, then beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients until incorporated. Add the rest of the milk and eggs beating until the batter is homogeneous, then add the last of the dry ingredients.
- Finally, give the batter a good 2- minute beating to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed and well aerated. Divide the batter between 18-24 cupcakes. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the cupcakes are well risen and springy to the touch. Transfer the cupcakes cakes to cooling racks and cool for about 5 minutes. Frost and decorate after fully cooled.
- To make the frosting, combine the confectioner’s’ sugar, butter and maraschino cherry juice in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low speed until sugar is incorporated, then increase to medium-high speed and beat until smooth. Add more maraschino cherry juice as needed to achieve desired texture. Add red food coloring if desired.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. Garnish with lime slices and maraschino cherries, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 18 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 301Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 17mgSodium 246mgCarbohydrates 59gFiber 1gSugar 43gProtein 3g
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!