AUG

Chocolate Banana Pops

Chocolate, Dessert, Freezer Friendly, Frozen Desserts, Fruit Desserts, Kid Friendly Recipes, Seasonal Recipes, Summer Recipes | 18 comments

The following is an article I wrote for Craftzine.com in early June. It was a really fun project to work on and even Logan (picky eater!!) loved eating the banana pops. Original article posted here.

School is out in most places and warmer weather has arrived. The sounds of the street are filled with children’s laughter and the catchy jingle of the ice cream man. Stop there parents — you won’t need to shell out for overpriced and unhealthy treats anymore. Instead, try this cheaper make-at-home cold summer treat, a great way to get healthy fruit into our kids with a little something special.

This is a fun project for kids to help with. They will enjoy coming up with interesting ways of decorating their own “popsicle.” Who doesn’t love an ice cold treat when it’s hot outside?

Chocolate Banana Pops, makes 6

• 3 bananas not overly ripe
  • 5 oz semi-sweet chocolate
  • 5 oz white chocolate
  • 3 tsp shortening
  • Rainbow sprinkles
  • Chocolate sprinkles
  • 6 popsicle sticks
  • Parchment paper
  • Measuring spoons
  • 2 small bowls
  • 2 spoons
  • Cutting board

Peel the bananas and cut each in half. Push a popsicle stick part way through the cut end of the banana so it looks like a popsicle. Set the popsicles on a cutting board or plastic plate, and place them in the freezer while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Having the bananas cold will help the chocolate harden faster.

Lay a sheet of parchment paper on the counter. Set out sprinkles. Put semi-sweet chocolate and 1 ½ tsp of shortening in a bowl. Microwave the chocolate at 100% power for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat. Repeat a third time, if necessary, until the chocolate is completely melted. Repeat the process with the white chocolate.

Take 1 banana out of the freezer at a time. Place it on the parchment paper and pour your chocolate of choice over the top. Turn the banana to coat all sides.

Decorate the banana with the desired sprinkles. Hold it for about a minute so the chocolate can set, then replace it in the freezer.

Scrape extra chocolate off of the parchment paper and add it back to the respective bowl. Re-melt it in a microwave for 30 seconds if the chocolate becomes too thick to pour. Repeat the coating and decorating process with the remaining bananas.

After all the bananas have been covered in chocolate and decorated, keep them in the freezer for 45–60 minutes. Enjoy!

tastyeatsathome - August 06, 2009 @ 1:24 pm

I am so going to do this. I have seen this idea in a few places, but it sounds yummy! And even though our kids are older (14, 12, and 10) I still think they'd enjoy this.

Jamie - August 06, 2009 @ 2:38 pm

Great idea for a hot summer afternoon! Thanks for sharing!

Ashley - August 06, 2009 @ 3:42 pm

We should do this with the little boys this week! I really like this post; it has some of my favorite pictures from your blog!

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - August 06, 2009 @ 4:43 pm

Ashley – that would be lots of fun! When are you coming over next? Did you have fun at the baby shower last night?

Maria - August 06, 2009 @ 5:10 pm

Love these! A great sweet treat that is somewhat healthy too:)

Melody - August 06, 2009 @ 5:16 pm

Those are so cute! Love it!

Kamran Siddiqi - August 06, 2009 @ 5:24 pm

Great post! These are definitely great for picky eaters!

The Apple Hill Adventurer - August 06, 2009 @ 5:29 pm

my gosh! so cute! and more nutrtious than an ice cream pop. what a great way to treat the kids (or the adults :p)man i love sprinkles !

Justin - August 06, 2009 @ 5:33 pm

as a banana lover, these look like a real treat to me

Jennifer - August 06, 2009 @ 5:33 pm

SOOOO cute!!!!! The kid at heart in me loves these! We used to make something like that as kiddies but as kids we'd dip in frosting of all sorts then roll in our own toppings (crushed cookies, granola, sprinkles, etc)

Anne - August 06, 2009 @ 9:35 pm

Those look divine! I love the addition of the sprinkles :)

Sara @ Our Best Bites - August 06, 2009 @ 10:13 pm

Love frozen bananas but haven't made them since I was a kid. Yum!

Kristen - August 07, 2009 @ 3:12 am

Those look like a lot of fun. I bet my kiddos would love these too. Will have to give them a try! Good for something different, at the very least.

Karine - August 07, 2009 @ 4:01 am

I love these! They look so cute and yummy!

Gudrun - August 07, 2009 @ 4:24 am

Great idea! Sadly, I might be the only one in the house who likes bananas, but I guess that means more for me :-) I wonder if you could slather a little peanut butter on the banana first, then the chocolate? Maybe I will experiment…

Patsyk - August 07, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

I totally need to do this soon! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kristilyn - August 12, 2009 @ 3:58 pm

I had something similar to this when we were at Heritage Days in our city (a big cultural event with many different foods). Except it was raining and windy and we were just trying to use up all of our tickets before the storm moved it … not as enjoyable! Now, if it were a hot day and I were laying by a pool somewhere, a banana pop would be heaven! And definitely a hit with kids! I'll have to try that on my niece and nephew!K

von Hand zu Hand - July 26, 2010 @ 9:00 pm

have to do it. i really love the combination of bananas and chocolate!i'm linking.thanks for this recipe.doro