SEP

Homemade Trail Mix

Appetizers and Snacks, Fall Recipes, Kid Friendly Recipes | 16 comments

I received an email a few weeks ago from a Betty Crocker representative asking if I’d like to help create some new Halloween/Fall recipes using General Mills cereals. I thought that sounded like a fun opportunity to be creative in the kitchen, so I said “Sure!” They sent me a box of several different cereals and I got to work.

I love having different trail mixes to snack on. They’re always full of yummy things, but many of them are processed with peanuts, and since we can’t have those things in our house (Logan is severely allergic to peanuts), I’ve taken to making my own mixes using ingredients I know are safe for him.

This mix looks just like Halloween to me with the dark chocolate chips and orange apricot chunks. I would have liked to use part white chocolate chips as well, but all the white chocolate chips are processed with peanuts. Bummer. The trail mix recipe received thumbs up all around from our family and is being taste tested by Logan’s preschool class (9 kids and 2 teachers) this afternoon. I filled small snack bags with about 1/3 cup (2/3 cup for the teachers) of trail mix and tied with a cute Halloween bow. Super cute (and healthy) treat for the fall season. Thanks, Betty Crocker, for a fun opportunity.

Homemade Trail Mix

• 2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1 cup whole almonds
  • 1/4 cup flax seeds
  • 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cup cheerios
  • 1 2/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
  • 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine the oats, coconut, honey, oil, sugar, and salt. Stir until well coated. Add the flax and sunflower seeds. Mix well. Spread mixture out on a large baking sheet. Bake for 35 minutes, stirring every 5-10 minutes.

Remove the oat mixture from the oven and allow to completely cool. In a large bowl, stir in cheerios, apricots, and chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container.

Neuf - September 18, 2009 @ 8:56 pm

this one caught my eye…I love the fall colors. I will definitely be trying this one out soon!

Melody - September 18, 2009 @ 9:45 pm

Sweet, crunchy and chewy. YUM!

Gudrun from Kitchen Gadget Girl - September 18, 2009 @ 10:35 pm

I think the cheerios really make it – for some reason, those really stand out and then I can see all the rest of the fruit. I also like the addition of sunflowers, I hear those are great for you. Did your son's preschool like the mix?

squirrelbread - September 19, 2009 @ 12:01 am

I love this! All the colors of Autumn in one neat little jar of healthy goodies.Cheers,*Heather*

birkenmommy - September 19, 2009 @ 11:00 am

That photo is making me seriously hungry!

MeetaK - September 19, 2009 @ 3:12 pm

this looks great katie. i make homemade trail mix all the time as i really can control what goes in it. i love the flavors you've used here! hugs!

Amy - September 20, 2009 @ 1:29 am

This is totally cute! And I love the jar with the orange ribbon!-Amywww.singforyoursupperblog.com

We Are Not Martha - September 20, 2009 @ 3:48 am

I love love love trail mix and yours looks perfect for fall!! I'd probably eat the whole jar :) Sues

Marci @OvercomingBusy - September 21, 2009 @ 4:15 am

That is a great fall trail mix! Can't wait to try it on my kids. We have been searching for a new snack!

Mixing Bowl Mama - September 21, 2009 @ 2:07 pm

You're right…it really does look like Halloween – good job! I had no idea that white chocolate chips are processed with peanuts so thanks for letting me know. My children have several friends who are peanut-allergic and I find I'm always learning something new about it. Being a home cook, it's nice to know what is and isn't okay (I've also learned that white marshmallows are okay but coloured ones aren't).

Elizabeth Marie - September 21, 2009 @ 5:48 pm

This is awesome. I share your pain with the nut problem. My fiance is horrendously allergic to them – even one bite is just the worst experience ever. Always looking for good, nut free recipes. Can't wait for the next post!

Kelly - September 21, 2009 @ 6:00 pm

This looks so good!!! And the fall colors are so creative, makes it fun to eat! I will be making this to take to work with me.*Kelly*http://fondlyoptimistic.blogspot.com/

sherri - September 23, 2009 @ 2:02 pm

This looks wonderful. I love the fall colors too.I'm adding your site to my blogroll after nosying my way through many of your recipes.

Steph - September 28, 2009 @ 5:04 pm

Oh, wow – yumm! thanks!

Jennifer - October 22, 2009 @ 8:29 pm

Where do you find the dark chocolate chips? I have seen the ones at the store but say they are semi-sweet dark chocolate for baking. Are tehse the ones you used?Thanks for the idea our teachers are hopefully getting this for Halloween this year.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - October 22, 2009 @ 8:34 pm

Hi Jennifer – I use the Hershey's Special Dark Chips. We tend to stick to Hershey's because they aren't processed with peanuts (my son is allergic) like the Nestle and many other brands are.