JAN

Balsamic Roasted Mushroom Risotto

Main Dish, Rice, Vegetarian | 18 comments

This Balsamic Roasted Mushroom Risotto recipe is dedicated to my dad. He absolutely despises mushrooms. When I mentioned this recipe he said “the balsamic roasted part sounds good.” I’m convinced that if he’d just give mushrooms an unbiased try he wouldn’t think they are nearly as horrible as the memory his mind has conjured up and elaborated upon for the better part of his life.

Roasting the mushrooms for this risotto brings out such depth of flavor that sauteing alone can’t. Combined with the flavors of olive oil garlic, rosemary, and balsamic vinegar, these mushrooms are incredibly rich tasting.

Risotto has a reputation for being a time consuming dish to prepare, and it’s a reputation well earned. Adding 1/2 a cup of broth at a time, stirring until it’s completely absorbed, and then repeating until you’ve used all your broth is most definitely a boring and tedious task necessary to the recipe.

However, I will tell you that there is nothing difficult about about making risotto. It’s simple enough for a weeknight dinner or weekend lunch. This recipe can stand alone as a meatless meal itself for 4. As a side, this recipe serves 6-8 along with a green salad and a meat of your choice, personally I think a small grilled steak with blue cheese would be most pleasing to the palate in combination with the risotto.

If you are like my dad and don’t care for mushrooms, I think this just might be the perfect recipe if you are willing to give them another chance.

Balsamic Roasted Mushroom Risotto
adapted from Taste As You Go and Allrecipes

• 24 ounces mushrooms (white, cremini, baby portabella or a mixture)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
  • 1 cup arborio rice
  • 2 shallots, diced
  • 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons freshly grated romano cheese
  • sea salt and black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Remove stems from mushrooms (discard) and thinly slice the mushrooms. Combine with garlic and rosemary. Toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Place on a foil lined baking sheet, spreading the mixture out, and roast for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the broth and water in a saucepan over medium-low heat until warmed. Heat the remaining oil (1/2 tablespoon) in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute the shallot, about 1 minute. Add the rice, stirring to coat with oil, and cook about 2 minutes. When the rice begins to take on a light golden color, pour in the wine, stirring constantly until the wine is fully absorbed.

Add half of broth and water mixture to the rice a 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Stir in the roasted mushrooms and any accumulated juices. Add the remaining broth mixture to the rice a 1/2 cup at a time, stirring continuously, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente, about 10 minutes more.

Remove from heat and stir in the butter and romano. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Serve immediately.

Maria - January 20, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

I am on a rosemary kick lately. I will have to try this. We love mushrooms at our house!

Patsyk - January 20, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

Sounds wonderful! Next time I make risotto, I'm trying your version… but, I'll adapt it to the pressure cooker as I tend to get the best results using that kitchen toy. :)

Michelle @ Taste As You Go - January 20, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

This looks great, Katie! I'm glad I was able to help with your quest for a mushroom risotto recipe!

Katie - January 20, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

Looks delicious! I just picked up a bunch of crimini mushrooms last night.

Dana - January 20, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

Looks absolutely delicious to me, but then again, I love mushrooms. I'm sure the balsamic sends it to over the top delicious territory. Tell your dad that tastes change so he should taste a mushroom at least once a year. :)

Jessica - January 20, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

This looks so fabulous! I love risotta AND mushrooms!

Ashley - January 20, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

I, for one, love mushrooms! This sounds wonderful!

Lauren - January 20, 2010 @ 7:07 pm

You photos always blow me away! This risotto looks simply heavenly =D.

Jamie - January 21, 2010 @ 1:53 am

I love risotto and this one looks absolutely fabulous!

Meal Makeover Mom Janice - January 21, 2010 @ 2:00 am

My dad is the risotto king! He loves to make risotto- often asparagus and shrimp, but I'm sure he would be willing to try this recipe since it sounds so good. I'm anxious to try roasting the mushrooms…

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - January 21, 2010 @ 4:59 am

This looks amazing. I love mushrooms with Balsamic vinegar… What a great combo!

Tasty Eats At Home - January 21, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

Oh my, your risotto looks amazing. Love the balsamic. Yum!

marla (Family Fresh Cooking) - January 21, 2010 @ 8:30 pm

This risotto looks great! I like the little bowls you present it in….so cute. I adore all mushroom varieties so I would toss in all your suggestions. I bet the wine adds nice flavor to this dish.

Kurdistan - January 22, 2010 @ 1:38 am

Looks delicious love to try it

Kitchen Monki Dan - January 22, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

Looks light and delicious! my one and half year old was recently introduced to risotto and she loves it :)

Jenna - January 22, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

i've been wanting to roast with balsamic since i saw giada roast onions on foodnetwork. this makes me want to try it out with mushrooms. i love that my boys eat them already at 3 and 5, that means i get to cook with them often. hoot hoot for the super mushroom!

Sarah - January 25, 2010 @ 9:11 pm

Oh how I wish my husband liked Mushrooms. I would make this for sure.

Becca - February 23, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

I'm going to make this tonight! Looks like a great recipe- I love how you roasted the mushrooms before adding them to the risotto. Very unique and intriguing. Thanks for sharing this!