One of my favorite dishes to order at a really good Chinese place is Beef and Broccoli. I loved the tender meat, the crisp broccoli and the sauce.
Oh the sauce! I could never get it right at home. Every time I tested out a recipe it never came out just right. Until I tried the recipe from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook!
I’ve had these pictures ready for almost a month already and we’ve already enjoyed this recipe no less than 4 times since I received a copy from a BlogHer Food after party sponsored in part by Jaden, the book’s author, last fall.
I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to share it, because it certainly deserves to be shared, I guess that happens sometimes and it’s always nice to have a few back up recipes. With broccoli growing in our garden, I can tell we will be enjoying this meal many more times in the near future.
If you love Asian food, I really recommend this book. Every recipe I’ve tried so far has been a hit for us and they’re all simple and fast to prepare. The only change I made to this recipe was making a little extra stir fry sauce because I love a little extra on my rice.
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
- 1 lb flank steak, thinly sliced into 1/8-in thick strips
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 tablespoon high-heat cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cooking oil
- freshly ground black pepper to season the beef
- 4 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 3 teaspoons Chinese black vinegar or Balsamic vinegar
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the beef marinade. Add the beef and let marinate for ten minutes at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the stir-fry sauce.
- In a wok or large saute pan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli and cover to steam for 3 minutes. The broccoli should be bright green, crisp-tender and you should be able to pierce the stem with a fork. Drain.
- Discard the water in the pan and dry the pan well. Set the pan over high heat and when hot, add the high-heat cooking oil and swirl to coat. Add the garlic and fry for 15 to 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the steak strips, keeping them in one layer and fry 30 seconds. Flip the strips and fry on the other side.
- Pour in the stir-fry sauce and stir to combine. Simmer until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 30 seconds. Add the cooked broccoli back into the pan and toss to coat well.
Barely adapted from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook
I already increased the amount of sauce because I love it so much, but feel free to make even more!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 270Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 72mgSodium 571mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 4gSugar 2gProtein 28g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.