Cucumber Garlic Chicken
Cucumber Garlic Chicken is an Asian Stir Fry Dish featuring tender chicken and chunks of cucumber in a spicy garlic sauce. Serve it over Jasmine rice to complete the meal.
This recipe for Cucumber Garlic Chicken is one of my favorites that I have been eating for a long time.
I first had it at my Aunt and Uncle’s house when I lived with them for the summer while working as a lab helper at the age of 15 in their Pharmacology lab at the University of Wisconsin – Madison.
It was my first job as a teenager and such a great experience I came back the next summer. I always liked to help out in the kitchen as a child, but it was there that I really got involved in cooking.
We cooked a lot together, ate a lot together, and had a lot of fun. Sometimes I cooked dinner by myself for the three of us because I got home from work before they did. Such fun!
I tried a lot of new things for the first time on that summer. It was my first time to eat real, authentic Indian food. My first time to eat feta cheese or fresh mozzarella. It was even my first time to have Pesto Sauce.
I came home with all sorts of things that I wanted to cook for my parents and siblings, and my mom was only too happy to let me take over some of the cooking.
I believe the original book the Cucumber Garlic Chicken came from was out of print at the time we first made this together and I’m not even sure what the book was called, so naturally this recipe is a recreation because along the way I lost the recipe I wrote down.
Cornstarch wasn’t an original ingredient, but I added it for a slightly thickened sauce. Salting the cucumbers helps rid them of excess moisture.
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
- 2 large Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2 English Cucumbers
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbs Oil
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 c Soy Sauce
- 1/4 c Cooking Sherry
- 1 - 2 tsp Chili Powder, depending on heat level
- 2 tsp Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 tsp Corn Starch
- 1 bunch Green Onions, sliced
- Prepared Jasmine Rice, for serving
- Peel cucumber and half long ways, then scrape out seeds with a spoon and cut into small chunks.
- Sprinkle cucumber with salt, set aside in colander 20 minutes.
- Combine garlic, soy sauce, sherry, chili powder, chili garlic sauce, and cornstarch in a bowl.
- Slice chicken thin and at an angle. Add chicken to sauce and let soak.
- Slice green onions.
- After cucumbers have sat in colander for 20 minutes, rinse and pat dry.
- Heat oil in pan (test by sprinkling a drop of water – if it sizzles, it is ready), add chicken with sauce and cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, stirring regularly.
- Add cucumber and cook 3 more minutes.
- Stir in green onion.
- Serve immediately with rice
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 116 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 34mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 14g