These Garlic Sweet Potato Fries are the perfect side to your favorite burger. These delicious oven baked sweet potato fries don’t take much time at all to prepare. They’re flavorful and crispy!
Creating This Recipe for Garlic Sweet Potato Fries
This is a recipe you definitely don’t want to miss. These garlic parmesan sweet potato fries are so much healthier than traditional french fries, and I think tastier, too!
While baked sweet potato fries will never crisp up like traditional deep fried french fries, they’re still delicious in their own right! Dunk the garlic sweet potato fries in ketchup or enjoy as is. You’ll love them either way!
Looking for a recipe for regular potato fries? Here’s a recipe for Oven Baked Seasoned Fries.
Why I Think These are the Perfect Sweet Potato Fries
This easy recipe for homemade sweet potato fries is one of my favorite ways to serve sweet potatoes. Here’s why:
- The garlic and parmesan topping gives these sweet potato fries so much extra flavor.
- Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-carotene and dietary fiber making them a great side dish option for healthy dinners.
- Baking sweet potato fries is easier than deep frying them. We have a deep frier, but I really dislike all the extra steps involved in using it.
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Tools Needed to Make these Garlic Sweet Potato Fries
You’ll need a few different kitchen tools to prepare this recipe for Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic and Parmesan:
- Paper Towel or Kitchen Towel – to dry the sweet potatoes after washing them
- Small Bowl – a small bowl is used to combine the garlic parmesan topping ingredients.
- Wooden Spoon – a wooden spoon is used to stir the seasoning mix.
- Sharp Chef’s Knife – a sharp knife is essential for cutting through the large sweet potatoes. You’ll also use it to mince the garlic and chop the parsley. (how to sharpen knives)
- Cutting Board – it is best to cut the sweet potatoes on a cutting board.
- Parchment Paper – I like to lining pans with parchment paper (or a silicone baking sheet) so the crispy fries don’t stick.
- Baking Sheet – bake the sweet potato fries on a large baking sheet.
- Flat Spatula – you’ll pull the sheet pan out and flip the sweet potatoes halfway through baking.
Ingredients in Garlic Sweet Potato Fries
You’ll need just six basic ingredients to make these garlic parmesan sweet potato fries!
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley
For the complete ingredient list and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post for the FREE printable recipe card.
How to Make Garlic Sweet Potato Fries
I’ve walked you through how to make these easy sweet potato fries in the recipe card below. Here’s an overview of the process:
Do You Have to Peel Sweet Potato Fries?
You can if you want to, but personally I like to leave the sweet potato skins on for the extra texture. I think they crisp up better this way and I like the contrasting color, plus potato skins are good for you, too.
Just make sure you wash the exterior of the sweet potatoes really well before you begin the cooking process. Because sweet potatoes grow in the ground, they often have a lot of dirt on them.
How to Cut Sweet Potatoes Into Fries
You can cut the sweet potatoes into a classic french fry shape, or you can cut them into wedges. I prefer cutting mine into smaller french fries. However, if you cut them in wedges, note that they’ll take longer to bake than the recipe instructs.
- First, cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise, without peeling them. You want the slices to be 1/2 inch thick.
- Then, cut each slice into batons about 1/4 inch wide and 3 inches long.
Alternatively, if you have a fry cutter, feel free to use that to cut your sweet potato fries.
How Long to Cook Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Baking these crispy oven sweet potato fries:
- Once the fries have been cut, arrange in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Then, toss with olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- After that, roast at 450F until tender and golden brown with crisp edges, about 20-25 minutes.
Flavoring the Garlic Sweet Potato Fries
In a bowl, mix together the Parmesan, parsley, and garlic.Sprinkle over warm oven fries and mix gently to coat. Lastly, season to taste with additional salt, and serve immediately.
How to Make the Best Sweet Potato Fries
Here are a few extra tips that I think help when preparing this recipe for Garlic Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries:
- For best results, cut the sweet potatoes in evenly sized pieces so the baking time is the same for all the fries. If you have a fry cutter, that’s great for getting evenly sized fries.
- I like to preheat the oven with the baking tray inside because preheating the pan helps them crisp. Don’t add the parchment until after preheating.
- I recommend using a large baking sheet and only cooking one sheet at a time so you don’t have to rotate the pans. They’ll brown better this way.
- The best way to season sweet potato fries is after they come out of the oven, otherwise the seasonings may burn. Instead, sprinkle the garlic parmesan topping on the crispy exterior of the fries after they come out of the oven.
- And, if you want some extra garlic flavor, you can also sprinkle with a little garlic powder after they’ve baked.
What to Dip Baked Sweet Potato Fries In
Try dipping your garlic parmesan sweet potato fries in one of the following dipping sauces:
- Greek Yogurt Pesto Dip – this is a super easy dipping sauce to make featuring greek yogurt and pesto sauce.
- Honey BBQ Sauce
- Chipotle Lime Dipping Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Honey Mustard
What to Serve with Sweet Potato Fries
Now that you’ve got your sweet potato fry dipping sauce figured out, you need to find a main dish to pair them with!
This baked sweet potato fries recipe is my favorite side dish to serve along side burger, so here are some of my favorite burgers and a few other entrees to serve with sweet potato fries:
- Blue Cheese Balsamic Burgers
- Gouda-Stuffed Burgers
- Black Bean Quinoa Burgers
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
- Basil Kumquat Chicken Skewers
- Mango Habanero Drumsticks
What Readers Say About Baked Sweet Potato Fries
“This is my dinner tonight (eating it as we speak). They are so delicious – how can you go wrong with Parmesan and garlic?” — Tiffany
“Made these last night with BBQ Chicken thighs. Worked out great but I should have spread them over two sheets as I had a massive sweet potato.” — “House Husband”
“Have made these before and they are to die for!” — Richard
More Sweet Potato Side Dishes:
These Smokey Grilled Sweet Potato Fries are full of flavor. These sweet potato wedges are super simple to whip up and contain only 4 ingredients!
This Baked Sweet Potato Side Dish features sliced sweet potatoes that have been baked in a spiced orange maple glaze and sprinkled with juicy, bright pomegranate arils.
We love this recipe for Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper and then tossed generously with fresh garlic and sage.
Foil Grilled Southwestern Sweet Potatoes are a great side dish to any Mexican themed meal, but they also work really well as an addition to other recipes.
These Maple Chipotle Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts are the kind of vegetable side dish that has everyone asking for seconds!
Get More New Recipe Ideas via Email
Did you love this recipe? Sign up to receive Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another recipe!
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 2 lbs orange-fleshed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
For the Garlic Parmesan Topping
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
To Prepare the Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Rinse and dry the sweet potatoes. Cut potatoes lengthwise, without peeling them, into slices 1/2 inch thick, then cut each slice into batons about 1/4 inch wide and 3 inches long.
- Arrange in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet (I lined mine with a silicone baking mat so they wouldn't stick) and toss with olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Roast, stirring with a spatula midway through baking time, until tender and browned on the edges, about 20-25 minutes.
To Prepare the Garlic Parmesan Topping
- In a bowl, mix Parmesan, parsley, and garlic. Sprinkle over warm oven fries and mix gently to coat.
- Season to taste with additional salt, and serve immediately.
Tips for Preparing this Recipe
- Cut the sweet potatoes in evenly sized pieces so the baking time is the same for all the fries.
- I like to preheat the oven with the baking tray inside. Don’t add the parchment until after preheating.
- Use a large baking sheet and only cooking one sheet at a time so you don’t have to rotate the pans. They’ll brown better this way.
- The best way to season sweet potato fries is after they come out of the oven, otherwise the seasonings may burn.
From Eat Well
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 216Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 4mgSodium 235mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 6gSugar 21gProtein 4g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.
Try these Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Garlic!
Next time you’re looking for an easy lunch, give these homemade sweet potato fries a try! Do you think these are the best oven fries made with sweet potatoes? Leave a comment section below and give it a review for others to see what you thought of this recipe for Garlic Sweet Potato Fries.