This recipe for Grilled Sweet Potatoes in Foil is full of flavor. You’ll love this healthy side dish of foil grilled sweet potatoes – it’s the perfect side dish when you need an easy dinner idea! Learn how easy it is to cook sweet potatoes on the grill, ways to use these southwestern grilled sweet potatoes, and check out some of my favorite sweet potato recipes for your inspiration!
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Making these Grilled Sweet Potatoes in Foil
A few weeks ago I was having one of those “Oh, crap! It is almost time for dinner” moments. What was I going to make? Looking through the pantry and fridge I wasn’t seeing a whole lot of inspiration. What I was seeing was randomness.
I spotted some sweet potatoes in the pantry, spinach and tortillas in the fridge. I remembered that I love foil grilled potatoes in the summertime.
Somehow this randomness processed into something in my head. We had a quick spinach salad, these delicious Foil Grilled Southwestern Sweet Potatoes, and quesadillas. I put some black beans in mine and the kids had theirs plain.
I admit, I like those type of recipes (like these Mini Sweet Potato Tarts with Gingersnap Pecan Crust) just as much as the next person. But there are a lot of other ways to serve this vegetable and something really awesome about Sweet Potatoes paired with southwestern flavors.
I wasn’t planning to share this recipe at all, but Madeline and I loved it so much and it looked really pretty in the black bowl that I served them in. So, we decided to make them again, this time on purpose, so we could share the recipe.
Foil Grilled Southwestern Sweet Potatoes are a great side dish to any Mexican themed meal, but they also work really well as an addition to other recipes.
Tools Needed to Make Grilled Sweet Potatoes in Foil
Here are a few suggested tools that are helpful when preparing this sweet potato foil packets recipe:
- Sharp Knives – you’ll need sharp knives to cut the sweet potatoes into cubes
- Cutting Board – a cutting board is helpful when cutting vegetables
- Large Bowl – a bowl is helpful for tossing the sweet potatoes in oil.
- Foil – heavy duty foil works better for grilling that regular foil
- Grill – we have a gas grill, but a charcoal grill would work fine, too.
- Tongs or Hot Pad – you’ll need something protective to remove the hot foil pouch from the grill after cooking.
Ingredients in Southwestern Grilled Sweet Potatoes
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this recipe for sweet potato packets:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika or Chipotle Powder
- Garlic Powder
For the complete ingredient list and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post for the FREE printable recipe card.
How to Cook Sweet Potatoes on the Grill
My new favorite way to cook sweet potatoes during warm weather is on the grill because it doesn’t require turning the oven on and heating up the house! Here’s a quick overview of the instructions for this recipe for grilled sweet potatoes in foil:
First, preheat your grill to high. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and olive oil. Then, place potato mixture on the center of a piece of foil. Sprinkle the sweet potatoes with all of the seasonings.
To fold up the foil pouch, pull the two shorter ends of the rectangle together in the center. Hold them together and fold foil down. Then, fold in the remaining openings towards the center of foil packet. Seal edges.
Place packet on the upper rack of your grill, close grill, and cook for 20-30 minutes. Flip part way through, and cook until potatoes are tender and browned.
The above is simply a quick summary of this recipe. Check out the full recipe in the free printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for all the detailed instructions.
Tips for Making this Recipe for Grilled Sweet Potatoes in Foil
- I like to leave the sweet potato skin on. They provide nutrients and give a nice texture when they crisp up after cooking.
- The best way to cut the potatoes for this recipe is in 3/4 to 1-inch pieces. Make sure the sweet potato cubes are uniform in size. This helps them cook evenly.
- Don’t have an upper rack in your grill? Preheat to medium heat, then place the packet directly on the grill grate.
- Use tongs or an oven mitt to remove the foil pouch from the grill. It will be very hot after cooking.
- Don’t forget to turn the grill off!
Ways to Use Foil Grilled Southwestern Sweet Potatoes
There are tons of ways to use these delicious sweet potatoes grilled in foil. Here are a few or my favorite uses:
- Try adding them to these Fall Mexican Rice Bowls.
- Use Foil Grilled Southwestern Sweet Potatoes as the base for a vegetarian taco, like in these Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos.
- Mexican Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad is delicious.
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili is already an old reader favorite, but using Foil Grilled Southwestern Sweet Potatoes rather than plain, diced sweet potatoes would really take it up a notch. Just stir them in at the end, right before serving.
- Make Quinoa Bowls with Roasted Poblano Cilantro Quinoa (see photo above!)
- Make a Mexican inspired green salad with romaine, black beans, these sweet potatoes, avocado, yellow pepper, tomatoes, and crushed Cumin Chipotle Lime Chips.
What to Serve with Foil Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Serving these sweet potatoes grilled in foil as a side dish? Here are some tasty main dishes that would pair well:
This Easy Recipe for Flank Steak Marinade is a family favorite! Marinated Flank Steak is perfect for summer grilling nights and goes great with grilled sweet potatoes!
Chicken Drumsticks are basted with Mango Habenero BBQ Sauce for a delicious addition to any summer potluck. Serve these grilled sweet potatoes on the side for an easy side dish.
Smoked Pork Shoulder is a classic summertime BBQ recipe that would also taste great with this sweet potato recipe.
Try this Easy Sweet Potato Foil Packets!
Next time you’re looking for an easy side dish, give these grilled sweet potatoes in foil a try! Did you think they were a great sweet potato dish? Leave a comment below and give it a review for others to see what you thought of this delicious side dish.
On Instagram? Share your photo and tag me with @goodlifeeats and #goodlifeeatsrecipes. I’d love to see your photo of this recipe for grilled sweet potatoes in foil!
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Craving more sweet potato recipe ideas? Here are a few of our favorites:
In this Baked Sweet Potato Casserole, sweet potato slices are baked in a spiced orange maple glaze and sprinkled with juicy, bright pomegranate arils.
While these tender Sweet Potato Rolls will make an excellent addition to any Thanksgiving menu, they’re delicious any time of year!
These Smokey Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges are full of flavor. They’re super simple to whip up and contain only 4 ingredients!
Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper and then tossed generously with fresh garlic and sage are an excellent side dish with easy clean-up.
Spiced Chickpea Smothered Sweet Potato are an easy and hearty vegetarian meal that is perfect for winter.
Black beans, sweet potatoes, fire roasted salsa, and poblanos pair with black beans in this hearty, easy meatless Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili.
These Garlic Sweet Potato Fries are the perfect side to your favorite burger. These delicious oven baked sweet potato fries don’t take much time at all to prepare.
Don’t see what you’re looking for here? You can always head over to check out the recipe index to look for more recipes.
Have you ever cooked sweet potatoes on the grill?
Get Easy Dinner Ideas Via Email
Did you love this recipe for grilled sweet potatoes in foil? Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
- 1 pound Sweet Potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Smoke Paprika or Chipotle Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Preheat your grill to high.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and olive oil.
- Toss to coat.
- Place potatoes on top of a large sheet of heavy-duty foil.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with all of the seasonings.
- Pull the two shorter ends of the rectangle together in the center. Hold them together and roll down.
- Fold in the remaining openings.
- Grill the potatoes on the upper rack of your grill for 20-30 minutes.
- Flip part way through, or until potatoes are tender and browned.
Alternatively, you can season with your favorite Southwestern flavored seasoning blend.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 119Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 310mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 3gSugar 7gProtein 2g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.