NOV

[Kitchen Tip] Quick Tips for Deodorizing your Kitchen

Kitchen Tips & Tricks | 14 comments

We’ve all been there. The leftovers that stunk up the entire fridge. The funky smell coming from the sink. The lingering smell of nuked lunch in the microwave. The problem is, how to get rid of all those smells without having to get down and dirty. Want to know how I do it? It all involves CITRUS!

QUICK TIPS FOR DEODORIZING YOUR KITCHEN

natural cleaning with lemons

Print This Print This

Getting Rid of Kitchen Sink Odors

Lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit are natural deodorizers and smells so refreshing. Cut up any citrus into wedges, toss down the disposal and grind them up to rid your sink of unattractive odors. The acid in the citrus also helps disinfect the disposal in a natural, safe way.

• I reserve any previously zested and/or juiced citrus in a bag in the fridge for this job.
  • Just because you’ve zested and juiced the lemon doesn’t mean there’s no use left.

Microwave Odors

Take those zested and juiced citrus and put them in a medium sized glass bowl. A couple limes, a large lemon, half an orange or grapefruit cut into pieces will do the trick. Then, fill the bowl halfway with hot water. Place the citrus and water (adding a little lemon juice wouldn’t hurt either) filled bowl in the microwave, and nuke for 3-5 minutes.

• If the odor isn’t gone, add an additional minute or two until it smells citrus-y.
  • It also gets nice and steamy in there so it’s easy to clean any spatters off the walls or door with a kitchen towel.
  • When you’re done with the microwave, dump the bowl of citrus down the disposal to deodorize that!

Refrigerator Odors

Place a bowl of cut up citrus in the back of your fridge for a day or two. You can use previously zested and juiced lemons, or a new orange cut up (if you have excess) works as well. The citrus will get rid of the odors, even stinky leftovers!, and leave it nice and fresh smelling.

• After a couple days when the smell is gone, then you can deodorize your microwave.
  • After the microwave, dump it all down the disposal and deodorize the sink. This way it’s a 3-in-1!

Garbage Can Odors

What we do as a precaution against yucky smelling kitchen garbage cans is to throw the really stinky stuff in the garage garbage can so we can keep it out of the kitchen. But sometimes, kitchen garbage still gets stinky. The easiest way is to take out the trash!

• If a smell still persists, you can toss cut up citrus in the bottom of the new trash bag.
  • Alternatively, you can sprinkle baking soda in the bottom.
  • If the can itself smells really bad and not the trash, try wiping the insides of the can with a 4:1 solution of water and lemon juice.
Print This Print This

Nancy-The Sensitive Pantry - November 02, 2010 @ 7:58 am

I always throw the lemon rind into the disposal. Works like a charm! I’m going to try some of these other tips. Great ideas.

Shaina - November 02, 2010 @ 8:40 am

Lemon rind in the disposal is one of my favorite tips. It’s so easy to keep them clean and fresh that way, and we are constantly using lemon, so there’s no issue having them around to do it with.

the blissful baker - November 02, 2010 @ 8:46 am

wow, i can’t believe i never thought of this! i love citrus smells. i wil definitely be putting these tips to good use. thank you SO much

Julie - November 02, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

A cousin of mine is on the police force and she told me that they put out coffee beans to absorb the smell of rotting corpses in houses. I took the idea and I put coffee beans on the bottom of my trash can or bag if it’s a holiday to absorb any odors, it works! I change out the beans every month.

Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen - November 02, 2010 @ 3:02 pm

Great tips…thanks for sharing!!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction - November 02, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

Great ideas, Katie! My microwave could use some freshening up! :)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum - November 02, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

Great tips! :) I am so annoyed with the lingering smell of garlic in the fridge. Not the most appetizing when in search of some breakfast…

Kristy @momhatescooking - November 02, 2010 @ 7:52 pm

I saw lemons at the store today and thought about buying them, but didn’t! I should of my sink could use them! Great tip!

Meal Makeover Mom Janice - November 03, 2010 @ 5:10 am

I’ve used citrus in my disposal but will now try these other ideas. Great tips!

Heather - November 03, 2010 @ 7:52 am

I’ve done the lemon in the disposal but not the others. I’m definitely going to try them when I get more lemons. Thanks for the tips!

Kendra @ My First Kitchen - November 03, 2010 @ 8:04 am

I just wanted to tell you that your photography is so lovely. I always enjoy looking at your photos. And these tips are awesome, too!

MC - November 03, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

Great couple of tips, thanks so much.

Tickled Red - November 04, 2010 @ 4:49 am

You always have such nifty ideas. I will taking the trash can one to work with me. Yep, it needs a little help there in the lunch room.

Deanna - November 09, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

Wow, that lemon photo really POPS! It’s making me excited to finally get some lemons off my tree (they are just now turning yellow). I’ll be sure to use the extras on some icky odors :)