JAN

Easy Peel Hard Boiled Eggs

Kitchen Tips & Tricks | 107 comments

Madeline is pretty fascinated with how to hard boil eggs right now.  Perhaps bordering on obsession. She is always asking to hold one when I have eggs out. And unfortunately, she doesn’t seem to understand that one wrong move with a raw egg in her hands would crush it.

So I find myself making eggs more often these days, but I’ve never been able to make a perfect hard boiled egg. Madeline hasn’t really gotten into eating them yet, but she just likes opening the hard boiled eggs up and then removing the white so she can find the “baby egg” (the yolk) inside.

how to boil an egg or how to make hard boiled eggs

I used to hate cooking hard boiled eggs, even though I enjoy eating them – by themselves for a snack or chopped up on top of a salad. Why did I hate making them?

Because I would either under or overcook the egg. Overcooked hard boiled eggs are just gross. Soft boiled eggs have never appealed to me. The same way I’ve never really liked over easy eggs. I’m just not a fan of a runny yolk.

I like my eggs perfectly done. Not over cooked, not undercooked. Perhaps I’m like Goldilocks in that way. Eggs have to be just right. And then on top of the doneness issues, the shells were hard to peel away without removing chunks of the white with it and that was sort of a drag.

I’ve figured out how to make perfect hard boiled eggs that is easy to peel, so I thought that I’d share my method for for today’s kitchen tip.

how to make perfect hard boiled eggs

Print This Print This

6 Steps to Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs – How to Hard Boil Eggs

1. Buy your eggs about a week in advance of when you’d like to prepare them. Fresh eggs are harder to peel!

2. Put the egg(s) in a pot with cold water that completely covers the egg, plus a little extra water to spare. About an inch or so.

• Cooking in cold water (vs. already boiling water), will allow the egg to cook gradually without cracking the shell.
  • Eggs that have been refrigerated for a few days work best. Fresher eggs are harder to peel.

3. Add one teaspoon of salt to the water.

• Don’t want to remove chunks of the egg white with the shell when you are peeling it? Adding salt (and less fresh eggs) helps with easier peeling of your hard boiled eggs. Don’t ask me why, but the salt does help.

4. Bring the water to a boil over high heat.

• Make sure it is a strong, rolling boil.
  • Let the egg boil for a minute or two.

5. Remove the pot from the heat and cover it with a lid. Let rest for 10-15 minutes.

• Letting the egg rest in the hot water cooks the egg evenly without overcooking. Overcooked eggs result in a yucky greenish colored ring around the yolk. You can say goodbye to that!
  • For me, the perfect time is 15 minutes, but that can vary depending on the size of your egg (medium, large or extra-large)

6. Remove the egg from the hot water with a slotted spoon. When cool enough to handle, peel the egg.

• To speed the cooling process, you can add the egg to a bowl of cold water to cool.
  • Or, if you are making many eggs at once for use through the next several days you can place them in the refrigerator.
  • Peeling the eggs under cold water helps make the peeling easier.

Note: I have found that when I buy brown shelled organic eggs they peel easier than traditional white eggs. I find that the particular brand of brown organic eggs I purchase has thicker shells and that makes it easier to separate from the cooked egg.

And of course there are other ways of doing this, but this is what works best for me.
Print This Print This

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} - January 07, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Thanks for the great tips. Where did you get that adorable egg holder? I love it!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — January 8th, 2011 @ 7:29 PM

Hi Maryea,

I got the egg crate from Anthropologie. You can find it on their website too.

• Sarah replied: — January 15th, 2011 @ 1:04 AM

I thought she meant your daughter. ;-D

megan @ whatmegansmaking - January 07, 2011 @ 7:42 am

great tips! I never knew that about the salt. I always thought it had to do with the age of the eggs. I’ve heard older eggs are easier to peel and newer eggs are harder.

• Sarah replied: — December 22nd, 2012 @ 6:24 PM

The reason the salt works has to do with chemistry. (in case anyone was actually wondering.)
      Salt is NaCl, and Egg shells are made of Calcium. the Cl (Chlorine) in the salt bonds with the Calcium, making Calcium water. But of course, this is not a perfect reaction. but what is left over after you take your eggs out is a very rich Calcium Water. its good for your plants. :)

Mindy - January 07, 2011 @ 7:52 am

Thanks for the tip about the salt! My four year old is obsessed with hard-boiled eggs, and the only part I hate about it is peeling them. I’ll definitely try the salt trick next time I make them!

Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos - January 07, 2011 @ 8:16 am

This is exactly what I needed…last week :) But now I know. Thank you so much for sharing these great tips!

Cookbook Queen - January 07, 2011 @ 8:23 am

I really REALLY love this post. I have struggled with getting my eggs just right, and often felt stupid for having problems!!

I am totally using these tips…so excited!! Thanks!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) - January 07, 2011 @ 8:27 am

i am absolutely bookmarking this post…i have made hardboiled eggs a million times but always forget how at the last minute!

sally - January 07, 2011 @ 8:37 am

Thanks so much for the tips! I’ve bookmarked this post for the next time I make hard boiled eggs. I’m looking forward to perfect eggs.

Shaina - January 07, 2011 @ 9:02 am

My kids love hard boiled eggs for lunch. It’s definitely one of our go-to ideas, especially when we haven’t been to the store in a while. Love the egg crate. It’s gorgeous!

Lauren from Lauren's Latest - January 07, 2011 @ 10:12 am

Great tips! I always seem to forget one or two steps, so this is a great refresher!

Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) - January 07, 2011 @ 10:31 am

Thank you!! I’ve tried some other tips I’ve found on the web for hard boiled eggs but none have been perfect. Maybe this is THE one? :)

Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) - January 07, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Now that it is winter, our chickens aren’t laying eggs right now. I miss them… I am horrible at peeling hard boiled eggs – maybe the salt would make it easier :-) Thanks for the tip!

• Tori replied: — March 7th, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Hi Michelle, you can get your chickens to lay in winter by providing a white light (60 watt will do) in their coop to make up for the shortened days. Total light must be at least 12 hours (including daylight) per day. Our 5 hens lay 5 eggs per day all year long, even in the northwest where we only get 7 hours of daylight in the deep of winter.

amy - January 07, 2011 @ 10:46 am

Thanks for the help! I actually just tried boiling eggs the other day and pretty much ripped off all the egg white. Haha. I’ll try this!

Alysa (Inspired RD) - January 07, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Thank you so much for the tips! I am the same way, love hard boiled eggs, hate to make them. Can’t wait to try your tips.

bridget {bake at 350} - January 07, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

Great tips….and I love your pictures!

Kate - January 07, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

This is my method too- I used it all summer at work for my weekly Deviled Egg making. They came out perfect every time. I find that shocking the eggs with cold water and an ice bath helps with peeling too, and like the salt trick, I don’t know why. It just does.

• Lisa@Smart Food & Fit replied: — January 8th, 2011 @ 4:17 PM

I do the same thing with my hard boiled eggs, I add running cold water and ice too.

• Sandra replied: — January 9th, 2011 @ 7:58 AM

I don’t use salt but I cook them the same way. After I drain them I immediately jiggle the pot a little to get a few cracks in the shells…then I shock them with ice and water. When cool enough to handle I peel them in the ice water. Unless the eggs were just-laid the shells will peel right off.

Melanie Flinn - January 07, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

Too funny! I just did a post like this a few days ago! Ha ha! Love it.

Anna - January 07, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

This is such a good post – eggs are supposed to be the easiest thing to cook, but they aren’t, in any of the ways they can be cooked. To make peeling even easier, use a teaspoon, slide it between the shell and the egg, it slips right off.

• Donna replied: — November 23rd, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

Whoa! Love the spoon tip, Anna! Now I know why I boiled an extra egg this morning… just to try this! The eggs came out perfect, by the way. Thanks Katie.

Anu Menon - January 07, 2011 @ 7:55 pm

Another way to avoid the ring around the yolk is to add vinegar while boiling the egg!

Charlene {Inspired Gal} - January 08, 2011 @ 5:25 am

Love this article! Since we don’t eat meat often, eggs are a huge staple in our house.

Charlene (PS: Your feeds are beautiful! :0)…)

Lauren at KeepItSweet - January 08, 2011 @ 5:33 am

Ok, I am saving this. Every time we try to hard boil eggs it is a disaster!

Suzi - January 08, 2011 @ 6:17 am

Try this little bit of magic. Save your yellow onion skins and toss them into the water next time you make hard boiled eggs. The onion skins “dye” the eggs yellow. The more skin the richer the color. Of course, white eggs work best.

You could also draw a picture on the egg before boiling it in the onion skins and poof, just like magic, the invisible becomes visible.

• leah replied: — October 25th, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

What do you draw on the egg with before boiling?

somavenus - January 08, 2011 @ 8:50 am

great tips! I will have to try the salt trick. Another trick to easily peel eggs (especially if you’re doing a batch of them) is to put them all in a pot once they’ve cooled, and gently shake the pot to let the eggs hit each other and the sides of the pot. That will create lots of fine cracks that allows the egg to be peeled easily! Also peeling them under cold running water helps :)

Carma - January 08, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Bento egg molds are fun for children (and adults, too!) Also, the fresher an egg the more difficult it is to peel. Since I buy eggs from the farmer I leave them on the counter overnight to “force age” them before making deviled eggs.

Kathy @ House of Hills - January 08, 2011 @ 10:31 am

GREAT post! Thanks so much for sharing it!

Kim B. - January 08, 2011 @ 10:42 am

LOVED this post!! My 10 year old LOVES hard boiled eggs and this is an easy print out for him to follow. (He enjoys cooking things himself when it’s something easy) Thanks for sharing!!

Mary - January 08, 2011 @ 10:54 am

I have chickens and hard boiling really fresh eggs is very difficult! I wait several weeks before even trying to hard boil them. Eggs from the store are sometimes too “fresh” to hard boil. Check the expiration date.

Marcia Furman - January 08, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

YES! Finally! I’m so excited to try this. I’m the worst at hard boiled eggs.

Garnet - January 08, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

TFS I had directions once but have not seen them in a long time.

Lisa@Smart Food & Fit - January 08, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

Great post. We go through at least 2 dozen hard boiled eggs in my house!

Adding salt or vinegar has an affect on the pH of the water. In college I had a food science class and remembering the professor commenting on the salt/vinegar tip. Also Alton Brown has tips on his website with the food science behind hard boiling eggs.

Jen - January 08, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

Another tip: Stir the eggs gently while they are in the boiling water or just after removing it from the heat. This helps to center the yolks within the whites. This tip was given to me (a food writer for a local paper) by a sweet 90+ year old woman who had been making the hardboiled eggs for her Navy League meetings for 50 years!

Jennifer - January 08, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

I believe the egg crate is from Anthropologie… I found it on their website.

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — January 8th, 2011 @ 7:28 PM

Yes, that’s where I got it.

Christina - January 08, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

Great advice! My mom is a champion at the whole hard-boiled egg thing and this year I was lucky enough to make the eggs for Christmas with her. She actually keeps the eggs for at least a week but she thinks they are best if they are a day or two from expiration for peeling purposes. She also centers the yolk with a really cool trick. Once the water starts to boils she stirs the eggs a couple of times so they all swirl a bit so that the yolk will be better centered. Something you might want to try too. Thanks for the hints and tips!!

Brook Owens - January 08, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

This is good information. I feel like my eggs always turn out different every time I boil them. My parents have chickens so we get a bunch of REALLY FRESH eggs and I’ve noticed with those I lose most of the white when peeling them! Good to know! Thanks!

Ann - January 09, 2011 @ 1:03 am

I always add a splash of any ole vinegar which prevent the egg from leaching out into the water should (heaven forbid) one of the eggs cracks.
    Ann3Angels

April - January 09, 2011 @ 4:48 am

adding salt to the water has another purpose too- if the shell cracks while boiling, the salt helps clot the white quicker.

Maria - January 09, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

Very helpful post! Thanks! I love that egg crate too! Beautiful photos!

Carol - January 09, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

the green ring will be avoided by chilling immediately when done. Run cold water. To help peel i drain all the water and shake the eggs to crack each one. Helps a lot

Jamie | My Baking Addiction - January 09, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

This post is helpful, Katie! There is nothing better than a perfectly cooked hard boiled egg!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) - January 10, 2011 @ 4:23 am

Would you believe I have never hard-boiled eggs? I’m intimidated by it, for some reason!

Poet - January 10, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

Have used an egg piercer for years. pierce the round fat end and do as is posted. When you suspect they are done pull one out with a spoon. Will dry very fast when done. To peal them put the pot in the sink carefully pot holders or oven mit are good ideas. Run cold water into the pot with the sink drain clear and open. When you can comfortably put a finger in the water they should be cool enough to handle. Put a container nearby for your shelled eggs. Bang those fat ends inside the water in the pan. Roll them around to break the shells gently, while under the cool water peal them and over 90 percent will be whole. The clear membrane is what we are working with when you pierce them. The water also aides in the pealing afterward.

Michelle - January 10, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

The science behind why salting the water helps with peeling is due to osmosis. The water outside the egg wants to be at the same salinity (salt content) as the water inside the shell. So the process of osmosis pulls some of the water inside the egg through the shell. Therefore, the volume of water inside the egg will decrease slightly and the egg will pull away from the shell.

If you’re in the mood for a little science experiment, take an egg and put it in a cup and fill the cup past the top of the egg with vinegar and put in the refrigerator overnight… After about a day, check on the egg. Hopefully the shell has completely dissolved and you’re left with an egg held together just by the membrane… If it hasn’t fully dissolved, carefully pour out the liquid and refill with more vinegar and back into the fridge overnight.

Once you have your shell-less egg, carefully pour out the vinegar and replace with very salty water (or corn syrup) and back into the fridge. Over time (about 24 hours), the egg will shrivel as the water is pulled out of the egg.

Mom's Many Projects - January 11, 2011 @ 5:55 am

Wonderful! I always make hard boiled eggs as you described, but never added salt. Now I know how to get the shells off without destroying the egg! Thanks!

Kristen - January 11, 2011 @ 7:41 am

We love hard boiled eggs around here – one of those things that are always in our fridge!

Suzanna - January 11, 2011 @ 11:18 am

Use an egg piercer/needle/pin/sharp knife. Shock the eggs with cold water. That’s 2 of your problems solved.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - January 11, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Great tips! I never make hard boiled eggs, but now I am feeling inspired. Some egg salad sounds amazing.

Heather (Gluten-Free Cat) - January 11, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

I’ve been cooking the life out of my poor little hard boiled eggs! I’m definitely going to try your method.

Jennifer - January 12, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

This is a great article, thanks for sharing! I am big on deviled eggs so this is perfect!

Sally - January 13, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

I always have trouble peeling my eggs. These are awesome tips. Thanks! Egg salad sandwich anyone?

Deborah Dowd - January 17, 2011 @ 6:11 am

So glad to see this post! Even though I am a good cook, boiling eggs is like roulette- will the white be runny or will the yolk be cooked through? I am forwarding this link to my son who also struggles with boiling eggs.

Sandra Retzlaff - February 01, 2011 @ 9:46 pm

Just put cooked eggs into ice water and they peel extremely well.

Linda Baker - March 30, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

Ok…….it did not work for me…….the eggs could have been to fresh as I got them straight from the store and not out of my fridge.

Question………

How do you get the yolk to stay centered for deviled eggs??????????????????

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — April 2nd, 2011 @ 11:47 AM

I don’t know how to get the yolks centered. Sorry it didn’t work out for you, the eggs were probably too fresh as you said. Next time, keep them in the fridge for a few days before trying.

• Barb replied: — November 23rd, 2011 @ 11:12 AM

I read online that a good way to get your yolks centered for deviled eggs is to store your carton of eggs on its side for 12 hours in the fridge before you boil them. That way, the yolk isn’t sitting near the bottom of the egg. I think I got that from Martha Stewart. Seems to work for me, I have only tried it twice though.

Denise - April 25, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

The salt likely acts in the same manner as baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) and changes the PH which prevents adhesion.

Adrienne @ Whole New Mom - April 26, 2011 @ 9:34 am

I’m going to give this a try. We just made hard boiled eggs yesterday but I am hating throwing away so much of the white! I was doing most of what you suggested but not all of it — so here goes!

Mary - May 07, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Followed your directions and they work great! Sometimes I have to use right-from-store fresh eggs and have solved the peeling problem…at least it works for me.
    After letting eggs stand in the ice cold water, crack all eggs all around like getting ready to peel, but put them back into ice water and let sit for another 10 minutes.
    Then peel…for the really difficult ones peel in the water.

Some pock marks appear b

Mary - May 07, 2011 @ 11:56 am

…continued, but much better and easier than not soaking the second time.

Hope this helps other with fresh eggs!

Terry - October 03, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I’ll try this but I have also found an easy way to peel them if the membranes are sticking. I put some water into a micro-wave safe dish and heat it for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Put the hard-boiled egg in the water for about 5 minutes, long enough to heat it all the way through and the shell peels off super-easy.

Maggie - October 11, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Just made the most perfect hard boiled eggs! and on my first try ever! yay for google and yay for your help!

maybe i have potential in the kitchen after all

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — October 11th, 2011 @ 5:54 PM

Congratulations! Glad I could help. :)

Bonnie Boudreaux - November 28, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

Having the great advantage of ALWAYS having fresh out the chicken eggs since we raise our own is GREAT. But my husband and I LOVE soft boiled (not completely runny but not solid neither). I have tried every “tip” to get them to peel without having almost just yolk and have yet to find the solution. Vinegar, salt, cold water, hot boiling water. for me NOTHING has worked to get the perfect soft boiled egg PEELED with ALL WHITE intact.

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — November 29th, 2011 @ 11:29 AM

This is unfortunately a common problem with fresh eggs. Older eggs seem to be part of the key to nicely peeled eggs. Not sure why.

Vicki - December 20, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

I didn’t read other comments – this may already be there. When eggs are done, I exchange hot water for cold covering all the eggs. Put lid on pan. Shake it!!!!! The shells will shatter and peel the rest of the way SO easily when you handle them.

Renee - December 31, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

In addition to the salt, keeping the egg warm right up until peeling works well too. Since a cold egg shell will shrink and adhere to the egg itself, particularly that pesky membrane, I will drain the eggs as soon as they are done (using the cooking method you use), then fill the pot with cold water. After a few minutes, the cold water will cool the eggs enough to be handled, but the eggs will warm the water. This creates the perfect temperature for handling and peeling, since the warm shells peel right off.

To peel, I gently crack the entire surface of the shell with the back of a spoon.

Jen - January 13, 2012 @ 9:50 am

Thank you for posting this, it came up in my search for an easy way to make hard boiled eggs. My mom showed me, but like you said the “yucky green” inner egg is nasty. Thanks a bunch!

Emile - January 13, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Taking it immediately from the hot water and putting it in really cold water makes the egg contract inside the shell, which pulls it away and makes it much easier to get the shell off in as few pieces as possible.

Min - January 28, 2012 @ 2:47 am

Perfect!! I wish I knew this earlier!

elise oras - March 16, 2012 @ 1:11 am

I do something similar. I pretty much follow all of your steps, but then at the end I use the “bumper eggs” method, where I smash the eggs against each other and they easily peel without effort. I have a video demo on my blog:

(http://www.elisesaidso.com/2012/03/how-to-make-perfect-hard-boiled-eggs.html)

vonny - March 20, 2012 @ 1:20 pm

My worst nightmare WAS peeling eggs. Thanks!!

Charlsye Miller - April 05, 2012 @ 8:52 am

Hope you don’t mind that I pinned this post on Pinterest. I know many people out there would love these tips. Thanks!

Julie - April 05, 2012 @ 11:15 am

Thank you! I’ve just unpeeled some of my first GORGEOUS hard-boiled eggs.

Elissa - April 05, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

What is the timing when boiling 15 eggs together in one pot? I’m assuming they need to be in the water longer because there’s more of them? Please advise.

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — April 5th, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

I do not cook that many in one pot, but rather do two pots with smaller number eggs.

michael - April 08, 2012 @ 10:13 pm

more worthless science nerd trivia… letting eggs sit for a week or so before boiling allows air/oxygen to permeate the shell. this oxidation thickens the membrane between the shell and white, thus making them easier to peel. thanks for the tip!!!

Shawna - May 11, 2012 @ 6:16 pm

I didn’t know about the salt, but my peeling trick is to actually tap the “side” of the egg onto the counter to start the crack, then roll the egg, (using some pressure) to crack all around the middle… you should then be able to pull off two halves (top and bottom) of shell, since the membrane is still intact, but the “hold” of the shell is broken. Works wonders for me! I’m going to try your cooking method right now though, because I always forget how to hard boil eggs ;) I hope it’s great!

Marjorie - May 14, 2012 @ 10:21 am

How long can you keep hard boiled eggs refrigerated..

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — May 14th, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

I usually only keep them in the fridge for about 3 days.

shalom - May 17, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

My Home Ec teacher in the late 70′s taught us how to boil eggs & it has worked perfectly all these years. She said to start the eggs in cold water, bring to a rolling boil on high then boil for 10 minutes. I have never had a green ring around the yolk & they are always perfectly done. Once they are done I pour the hot water out, add cold tap water & let them sit to cool. She didn’t address the peeling aspect. Since then I have figured out that it takes about 7 minutes to come to a rolling boil so I set my timer for 17 minutes when I turn the heat on. The 7 minutes is based on the pan & amount of water I use for 1-6 eggs.

Gwen - May 26, 2012 @ 7:00 pm

I have destroyed so many eggs over the years until this evening! Perfect boiled eggs after following your directions. I am so grateful. Thank you!!!!

Sarah - June 03, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

That worked wonders for me in cooking eggs. It was easier to hold them under cool water and peel. Thanks!

Maury - July 01, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

To improve peeling, I simply run the cold egg under hot water which causes condensation inside the shell. This will make the shell much easier to remove.

Bo Lee - August 06, 2012 @ 8:38 pm

It worked! Thanks so much for such clear and useful tips! My salads are going to get kicked up a notch!
    Pleasantly Peeling,
    Bo

Tristin - August 21, 2012 @ 6:53 pm

Worked out beautifully!! thank you!

Sharon - September 22, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

What if I don’t want to peel the eggs right away?

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — September 27th, 2012 @ 8:19 AM

Store the eggs in the fridge until you are ready to peel them.

phil - September 28, 2012 @ 5:47 pm

I love hard boiled eggs and i’ve allways added them to boiling water ..and yes they have cracked ..i shall do as you say and put them in cold water and bring to the boil then let stand and see the differance..thanks for the tips

Christine - October 19, 2012 @ 10:26 am

These came out perfectly :)
    Thank you!!

Kim - November 14, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

It sounds crazy, but we find peeling is easiest when we steam our eggs. Just put your old eggs on a tray in a rice cooker for ~20 mins, shock them in ice water immediately after to stop the cooking, and then they peel amazingly well. Try splitting your next batch between steaming and boiling, and see which is easiest!

Kristin Carlbom - November 21, 2012 @ 7:59 am

Bless you! Have struggled with deviled eggs for years and this worked PERFECTLY!!

Lois Hall - February 25, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

Finally! They came out perfect for the first time. Thanks so much!

Dani McMann - March 30, 2013 @ 11:42 am

Thanks so much for the tips on easy hard boiled eggs!!

Jamie - April 22, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

I am guessing that I am one of the rare men to read these blogs, and even rarer to comment in them. :-D

I really enjoy experimenting in cooking, as is the case 99% of the time, as a male, I never took Home Ec in school growing up, so basic things like hard-boiling eggs was learned later.

In any case, I am looking for work after moving to the West Coast from VA last summer where my contract job ended; and Carol & I got married in November…a “Golden” wedding — she is 55 & I am 58. So, because I am home, I am doing all I can to support Carol with help and taking care of her. I normally make a lunch for her each day, and we have both desired making more healthy diet changes. So, packing numerous baggies with salad fixin’s (she & I both hate mixing it all ahead of time and have a wilted, soggy salad at noon), one thing drove me to your website: I HATE hard-boiled eggs where the peeling is tedious and the white pulls off in chunks all the way around.

Anyway….I just now came back from my rubber-meets-the-road test. I boiled 20 eggs in a Cook’s Tri-Ply (copper exterior) Dutch Oven. Once to a rolling boil, I let it cook for 90 seconds, shut off the heat & put a lid on it for 12 minutes.

While the cooking started, I filled a large bowl with ice & water. The ice all melted just before the 12 minutes “rest” was done, and I added another dozen or so cubes to the water.

I then transferred the eggs to the ice water, deliberately pulling 4 of them aside & cracking both ends on each of the four before adding them to the ice water. I let all 20 sit about 15 minutes in the ice water & then proceeded to de-shell them.

I read several different advice blogs about this process, so I tested several things. I deshelled a couple uncracked eggs under cool water & two cracked eggs under cool water. I also did two of each without doing so under water. I found that, for me, they all had about the same degree of success. Under water, they MAY have come off slightly faster, but not appreciably. Nevertheless, I preferred deshelling over a plate instead of under water, because I did not want to deal with the shells in the sink.

Out of 20 eggs, I only had three that even had the slightest “divot”. It was fantastic! I did notice that as I went along, they seemed to come apart slightly easier, which may mean a little extra time in the cold water helped. On average, it took me 10-12 seconds to completely deshell each egg. I imagine many of you ladies can do it faster, but I was pleased with the speed for myself.

So, let me end this with a couple questions:

1. If I had dumped the cold water after 20 minutes and put the pan (or a bowl or bags) in the frig for a couple days, would the eggs have been more resistent to deshelling?

2. Once deshelled, like mine are now….how long will they be good for in the frig either in a bowl with a plastic sheet cover or in airtight zip-lock bags as opposed to the length of time they will stay good hard-boiled within the shell?

Summary: this was a rousing success! Thanks for making deshelling angst a thing of the past!!

sasha - June 22, 2013 @ 6:51 pm

Salt doesn’t work, but baking soda does.

adrienne - July 21, 2013 @ 2:44 pm

Here’s the trick. Put the eggs slowly into boiling water. If you put half the egg in for a second or two it will allow the shell to expand from the heat, and it won’t crack in the water. Boil 12-15 mins. Drain water, add cold water and ice for 5-10 mins. Peel. To make the egg easy to peel it has to have heated then cooled, just like blanching a tomato makes the skin come off easy. You just have to be careful putting the egg in the boiling water, like I say, half way at first.

Wendy - August 17, 2013 @ 8:59 pm

I tried this very technique of yours for boiling eggs without losing all the egg whites and it worked pretty good for me. I only had eggs that were 5 days old at the most (I have my own chickens and my son sells the eggs) and they peeled easily as long as I went slowly and peeled the egg bit by bit. When I tried to peel it in big chunks, that’s when the egg whites would come off. Thank you for this and I wish you all the best! :)

-Wendy

Cynthia - September 03, 2013 @ 4:36 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe. My husband loves pickled eggs. I usually buy the pickled eggs from Sam’s Club. After we eat them, I boil three dozen eggs and put them in the same solution. My husband thinks my eggs are even better than the store bought eggs. The eggs are a great low calorie snack, especially when you don’t want anything heavy. Thanks so much for this.

Danielle - November 28, 2013 @ 12:03 am

I have always used a little vinegar in my water as it boils. It was a trick my friend Melissa showed me when we were cooks. They peel so easy with just a little bit of vinegar. I assume it works like the salt and increases the PH to a acidic water and so it makes the shell which is calcium break down and be more able to be peeled easier.

JayJay - February 25, 2014 @ 9:51 am

*** I find that the particular brand of brown organic eggs I purchase has thicker shells and that makes it easier to separate from the cooked egg.***

That is because the farm fresh eggs aren’t fed the same feed, arsenic, antibiotics, etc. the other chickens are fed??
    Just my theory.