Migas Egg Bake
Written by: Emily of One Lovely Life
These days, I’m always looking for something easy and fast for dinner. We’ve been focusing on easy family meals that are easily customizable.
When you’re feeding a family, and especially when you’re working with picky eaters or problem feeders, it’s important to provide lots of choices and to make meals as accessible as possible. This keeps the meal low-pressure, relaxed, and inviting. The last thing you want to do when you sit down to dinner is fight over the meal!
We’ve found that build-you-own style meals work really well for this. Taco nights? Sure! Salad bar? Awesome. These egg bakes are another example of this in action, and we really love them. If your family likes the same sorts of things, you can make one large bake in an 8×8 or 2-quart baking dish (as shown here). Or, if you prefer, you can bake individual 2-egg portions in smaller ramekins and let everyone mix in their favorite toppings.
I love this easy twist on migas–a Tex-Mex egg dish made with crispy strips of tortillas, eggs, and any veggies (like onions, chiles, peppers, tomatoes) or cheeses you like. Traditionally, you make this dish in a big sauté pan, but I’ve found my little ones are too picky to abide picking chiles out of their dish. This way, you can make individual ones, skipping the chiles for one, or adding some extra cheese for another. I think this is a great way to get in a few extra greens, so I always like to add a little spinach or kale in with my dish.
You can also make a big pan of this for breakfasts throughout the week. Mix it up by adding a little cooked bacon or chorizo. Make it a full dinner by adding a salad, fresh fruit, or a side of black beans. Don’t forget to add a big heaping scoop of restaurant-style salsa!
Serve with your favorite muffins and some fresh fruit for a delicious meal!
What’s your favorite build-your-own family dinner?
- 10 eggs, whisked until smooth
- 3 (8") corn tortillas, diced
- 1-2 cups fresh greens (I like kale or spinach)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil, for greasing the baking dish
- optional: cheese and salsa, for serving
- If making individual cups, grease the edges of 5 (1-cup) ramekins with olive oil. Divide eggs among the ramekins. Add desired toppings to each cup and stir with a fork to combine.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until centers are just set.
- If making one family-style dish, grease an 8x8" (or 2 quart) baking dish. Stir desired toppings into the large bowl of eggs. Pour mixture into baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees 30-40 minutes, or until center is just set.
- Serve with salsa and cheese!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 260 Total Fat 15g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 9g Cholesterol 378mg Sodium 376mg Carbohydrates 14g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 4g Sugar 2g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 17g