Making Scrambled Eggs with Ham and Peppers requires just 6 basic ingredients. Pair with toast or fruit for a quick weekday breakfast!
Creating This Recipe for Scrambled Eggs with Ham
While in beautiful Park City for Evo Conference I had a simple, yet delicious omelet for breakfast at The Canyon’s First Track Cafe. It consisted of three eggs, smoked ham, red and green bell pepper, purple onion, and cheddar cheese. I dove right in.
Once home, I wanted to recreate this omelet. Omelets are one of my favorite easy dinner ideas because they are so simple to make. Eggs and whatever you can stuff them with easily create a new recipe each time.
Well, my success was not so great. My “Denver Omelet,” as the Cafe called it, turned out more as an egg scramble than nice, pillowy eggs stuffed with goodness. In my haste to get going on my morning breakfast, I forgot to grease the pan.
Coupled with a groggy 3-year-old needing her breakfast as well, my omelet was stuck to the pan before I could say “oh dear…” My stomach grumbling in the background prompted me to scramble the pan to save my breakfast.
So instead of sharing a beautiful omelet with you, I thought I’d share this yummy and filling ham, peppers and eggs recipe. Sure, it may not look like an omelet, but it tastes pretty much the same and it’s less fussy in the end.
Ingredients for Scrambled Eggs with Ham & Peppers
You need just six basic ingredients to make scrambled eggs with peppers and ham:
- Salt and pepper
- Red onion
- Bell pepper
- Cheddar cheese
For the complete ingredient list and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post for the FREE printable recipe card.
How to Make Scrambled Eggs with Ham & Peppers
As you’d expect, making scrambled eggs and ham couldn’t be easier! Here are the basic steps:
- Heat some oil in a small sauté pan. When hot, add the onion and peppers and sauté for a minute or two to take the sharpness out of the onion and slightly tenderize the vegetables.
- Turn heat to low and set the vegetables aside in a bowl. Stir in the ham.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Add the eggs to the pan. Scatter the vegetable and ham mixture on top.
- Cook until bottom starts to set, then scramble the eggs.
- When cooked according to your preferred doneness, top with grated cheddar cheese.
The above is simply a quick summary of this recipe. Check out the full recipe in the free printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for all the detailed instructions.
Can I Use Different Vegetables?
Of course! Scrambled eggs and ham pair nicely with all kinds of vegetables. Just note that different vegetables require different cook times.
Can You Freeze Scrambled Eggs?
Plain scrambled eggs can be frozen, but I don’t recommend freezing these scrambled eggs with ham and peppers. The peppers would change texture once frozen and I don’t think the dish would reheat well.
What to Serve with Scrambled Eggs
If you’re serving these scrambled eggs with peppers and ham on the weekend when you have a bit more time on your hands, I recommend pairing them with one of the following sweet mains:
- Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Healthy Oatmeal Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Waffles
- Classic Homemade Waffles
Don’t see what you’re looking for here? You can always head over to check out the recipe index to look for more recipes.
More Egg Breakfast Recipes:
You can find all of my egg breakfast recipes here. A few of my favorites include:
These Southwest Breakfast Bowls are a great way to enjoy a quick, healthy, and high-protein breakfast at home on busy weekday mornings.
This Chorizo and Eggs Scramble is a fun way to mix things up for breakfast. Traditional scrambled eggs are combined with fresh spinach, cilantro, and spicy chorizo sausage.
Mini Crustless Broccoli Quiches are perfect for on-the-go breakfasts, and are healthier than the average quiche. Even your kids will love this recipe!
Your whole family will gobble up these Black Bean and Egg Breakfast Tacos in no time!
This Migas Eggs Casserole is an easy recipe to prepare for family breakfasts.
Get More Recipes via Email
Did you love this recipe? Sign up to receive Good Life Eats Email Updates and never miss another recipe!
- 3 eggs
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup diced purple onion
- 1/3 cup diced bell pepper - red and green combo
- 1/4 cup finely diced ham
- grated cheddar cheese, amount to your preference
- Heat a teaspoon or two of canola or olive oil in a small omelet sized saute pan. When hot, add the onion and peppers and saute for a minute or two to take the sharpness out of the onion and slightly tenderize the vegetables. Turn heat to low and set the vegetables aside in a bowl. Stir in the ham.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, salt, and pepper. Add additional oil or butter to grease the pan if necessary. Return the heat of the pan to medium/medium-low.
- Add the eggs to the pan. Scatter the vegetable and ham mixture on top. Cook until bottom starts to set, then scramble the eggs. When cooked according to your preferred doneness, top with grated cheddar cheese.
use this same ingredient list for an omelet, but cook as you would an omelet instead of scrambling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 413Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 607mgSodium 1256mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 34g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.