Some weekends we find ourselves enjoying the opportunity to be relaxed and not booked with things to do. It’s weekends like those that I like to go the extra mile and make a nice lunch, something that on a busy day I wouldn’t have time to do. With all the gorgeous weather we’ve been having lately, I decided to spend the afternoon outdoors and grill some kebabs. It’s always nice to sit down and enjoy a lunch with Eric while the kids are playing out back. It gives us a chance to enjoy the moment together and have a conversation without reminding someone to get back on their chair or take another bite.
You don’t always need to make a special shopping trip or follow a detailed recipe to make your family a nice meal. I used bits of leftover vegetables from various meals (red onion from a taco salad, zucchini from a frittata, bell pepper that Madeline decided she was going to eat mid shopping trip). I had some fresh chicken breast that I had gotten for $1.50/lb at Sunflower Farmers Market and the couscous was in my pantry.
Added to that, I made a Pomegranate-Tangerine Herbal Iced Tea using some of POM Wonderful’s 100% Pomegranate Juice. I always enjoy eating healthy, tasty and refreshing meals like this one. The flavors were perfect together and the iced tea washed it all down just right. A perfect spring afternoon!
- Celestial Seasonings Tangerine-Orange Zinger
- 100% Pomegranate Juice
- sugar, to taste
Prepare Tangerine-Orange Zinger iced tea according to package instructions. Use 1 more bag than noted. Add 1/3 c juice to each glass, a few pieces of ice, and fill the rest of the way with iced tea. Enjoy!
- Juice of 1 large lemon plus water to equal 2 cups liquid
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs kosher salt
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs honey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/3 of a red onion
- Olive oil for tossing with veggies
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the lemon juice, water, lemon zest, and kosher salt. Stir mixture until salt is dissolved.
- Cut chicken into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Add chicken to the lemon juice mixture and let soak for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the zucchini into 1 inch thick slices. Cut the bell pepper and onion into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Toss veggies with a small amount of olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine the olive oil, honey, garlic, and pepper. Remove chicken from lemon brine and add to olive oil mixture.
- Thread skewers with the chicken and veggies. Grill over medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through. Remove from skewers and serve over a bed of couscous.
For ease, I used a box of Near East Roasted Garlic and Olive Oil Couscous.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 581Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 51mgSodium 6647mgCarbohydrates 72gFiber 7gSugar 41gProtein 26g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.