The people over at Karoun sent me a box of their Mediterranean Style Yogurt to test out.
Madeline loves yogurt, so she’s been eating some with fruit mixed in but there was quite a bit more than we could just eat in time.
I asked my friend Shaina if she had any suggestions for a savory dish I could make with all this yogurt.
She suggested Tandoori Chicken.
I’ve never had, nor made, Tandoori Chicken before and I see now that I was really missing out!
Besides the incredible flavor from all the spices, the yogurt actually made the chicken really tender.
I never would have guessed that, which is part of why I never made Tandoori Chicken before.
I wasn’t so sure that the chicken would really absorb all the flavor or be all that tender.
Wrong on both accounts!
Instead of having a big hunk of chicken breast, I cut them into kebab sized pieces and served the grilled chicken on top of a Greek Style Spinach Salad.
The smoky flavor of the chicken’s spices contrasted with the cool, fresh, lemony taste of the vegetables was a great combination.
We liked this so much we had it two nights in a row.
The second time I added a sprinkling of pearl couscous to both plates for a little something extra.
My husband and I were both big fans of this recipe for Tandoori Chicken and Spinach Salad- definitely a keeper.
Thanks Karoun (and Shaina!).
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
For the Chicken:
- 1 1/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the Salad:
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/2 each of red and green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 of a cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup whole, pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons diced purple onion
- 3 sprigs of oregano
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 1 cup prepared pearl couscous
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon, garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander, cardamom, nutmeg, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well mixed. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Stir chicken into the yogurt mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Combine the artichokes, bell pepper, cucumber, olives, and onion in a medium bowl. Remove the leaves from the oregano sprigs and chop. Add the oregano, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. This can be done up to 2 hours in advance.
- Preheat grill to high heat and oil grill grates. Remove chicken from the marinade and thread on skewers. After grill has preheated to high, lower heat to medium-high. Grill skewers, turning once, about 4-5 minutes per side.
To assemble salad:
- Toss spinach with pearl couscous. Divide mixture evenly among 4 plates. Divide the vegetable mixture and grilled chicken evenly among the four plates. Top with a sprinkling of feta.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 495Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 134mgSodium 1001mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 6gSugar 12gProtein 56g
GoodLifeEats.com offers recipe nutritional information as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although GoodLifeEats.com makes every effort to provide accurate information, these figures are only estimates.