OCT

Coconut Chicken Curry Soup

Asian, Main Dish, Poultry, Quick Meals, Rice, Soup and Stew | 18 comments

This is a fast and easy soup recipe that is full of flavor. It is a great recipe if you are short on time, but still want to enjoy a delicious dinner. Go ahead and use up that leftover rice, too! There won’t be any disappointments here!

Coconut Chicken Curry Soup

• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 small red bell pepper, sliced thin
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 2 cups freshly cooked jasmine rice

Heat the olive oil in a medium sized soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the oil, season lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté until cooked through and golden. Remove chicken and set aside. Sauté the onion, adding more oil if necessary, until tender.

Return the chicken to the pot with the onions. Add chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder and jalapeno. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add bell pepper, green onion, and cilantro and simmer an additional 3 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Spoon rice into 4 bowls and top with a ladle or two of soup. Garnish with additional cilantro and a sprinkling of shredded coconut. Serve.

skye - February 12, 2009 @ 12:31 am

is this equivalent to the thai soup Tom Kah?

Katie - February 12, 2009 @ 1:55 am

skye – I’ve never had that soup, so I honestly can’t say. I googled it up and it looks like it has some simmilar ingredients.

skye - February 12, 2009 @ 5:18 am

sounds delicious! thanks!

Anonymous - February 13, 2009 @ 7:41 pm

Think you could sub in shrimp for the chicken?

Katie - February 16, 2009 @ 5:05 pm

I haven’t tried it, but I don’t see why not. Let me know how it is if you give it a try.

Michele - February 19, 2009 @ 2:58 am

OH…major YUM!!!!! Found the recipe this morning, bought the missing ingredients this afternoon and cooked it for dinner tonight. It was absolutely delicious!!!!! Better than my favorite Thai restaurants version of this. Thank you for this, it is a keeper and my family loved it – even the “not too spicy” loving daughter.

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - February 22, 2009 @ 9:48 pm

Hi Michele. Glad to hear it was a hit for your family! Thanks for visiting. :)

Amanda - February 25, 2009 @ 4:48 pm

Hi! Just wondering how many it served. I’m planning on making it tonight (it looks AMAZING!) and inviting some friends over (total: 4 of us). Also, you think it would do well in the crockpot? Just throw everything in there? I don’t use the crockpot often enough to know… :)

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - February 25, 2009 @ 8:20 pm

Amanda – I would probably do 1 1/2 times the recipe just to be on the safe side since you don’t want to not have enough food at your dinner party.I have not tried it in the crock pot. I don’t see why you couldn’t do the step where you cook the chicken in the crock pot. I wouldn’t add the onion and bell pepper that early on. I would still saute it as the recipe describes and add it in for a few minutes at the end. Does that make sense?

Amanda - February 25, 2009 @ 8:30 pm

Awesome, thank you, Katie!I’ll definitely try the crock pot the next time around. I’ve putzed around long enough today that I don’t think I have any more time :) Thanks!

vanzare apartamente - March 16, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

This soup is great. Thanks for recipe, yumiii !!

Amy - April 07, 2010 @ 1:38 pm

Making this for the second time. So yummy, and great in the crockpot!

Marcos - January 05, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

Thank you for this! I found a link to it from the recent Spicy Soups post on http://www.thekitchn.com and tried it out tonight, and it was a hit!

wgfoodie - January 18, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

Another lovely recipe. I am craving a bowl right now… :)

The Lucky Wife - February 15, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

Thanks for this great recipe! I have linked to it in a post with our (The Chef and I) top picks from the Soup-a-Palooza and we can’t wait to try it. I’d like to invite you to participate in our Foodie Friday event. Thanks again!

Tracy - September 02, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

Sounds lovely! Wonderful fall recipe, too!

Aimee - October 17, 2011 @ 8:49 am

Thank you, I made it last week and it was fantastic. I actually partially cooked the rice then added it to the soup to let it finish cooking and it thickened up the sauce nicely. My 16 year old son and husband loved it and had two bowl’s each, it was gone immediately. I am making it again this week and will double the recipe.

Amber - June 19, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

I made this last week and served it over brown rice. It was pretty good, but I regretted not adding more vegetables. I’ll definitely make this soup again, but next time I’ll add some stirfry vegetables, garlic, and ginger to kick it up a notch.