Chicken Tortilla Soup
It has been so cold here lately. Days where it “warms up” to temperatures in the 30’s, but the sun is bright and shining, which only makes you feel worse because it doesn’t look like it should be cold at all. Days where you need warm, fuzzy socks on your feet at all times.
Kids are going bonkers because they feel cooped up, and quite frankly so do you. Add howling winds and early morning snow to top it off and you have got soup weather on your hands.
But you don’t want just any soup. You want something with a little spice. Something that isn’t just a bowl of warmth, but something that will really heat you up a spoonful at a time.
And it also needs to be something that will not require you to go out in that freezing cold-howling wind-sun shining weather to purchase any crazy ingredients.
And that is why this week we had Chicken Tortilla Soup for dinner this week. Because it’s warm. It’s spicy. And I didn’t have to pick a single special ingredient up.
I confess, I didn’t have the avocado or cilantro, but this bowl of goodness was equally satisfying without those ingredients. I just love this recipe and have made it several times since finding it on Jane’s blog. I’m sure you’ll love it too! When I plan ahead, I love to make Crock Pot Mexican Chicken to use in this recipe.
Did you love this post?
Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another update!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 - 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 - 14.5 oz. can corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 lime (one extra for garnish)
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 4-5 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 avocado, diced
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- cheddar or jack cheese, shredded
- sour cream
- Saute onion in olive oil until soft, then add garlic, cayenne, chili powder, and cumin. Saute until fragrant (a minute or two). Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Add tomatoes, corn, black beans.
- Grill or pan-fry chicken spiced with cayenne, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cut up or shred chicken and add it to the soup. Try the soup and add more seasonings according to taste, if needed. Add lime juice and cilantro.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a large frypan over medium-high heat, crisp up tortilla strips. Add salt.
- Serve soup garnished with your choice of cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips, fresh cilantro, avocado, and a lime wedge.
- Note: If spicy isn’t your thing, start with the smaller amounts of seasonings listed and adjust according to taste as needed. You can also substitute tortilla chips if you don’t have corn tortillas on hand.
Adapted from This Week for Dinner
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 382Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 50mgSodium 1731mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 12gSugar 8gProtein 25g