MAY

Cannoli Sandwich Cookies

Chocolate, Cookies, Dessert, Italian | 43 comments

Sometimes I have crazy ideas. Crazy food ideas. Taking one thing and turning it into another. That is what happened yesterday. It was all I could think about until I was able to hit the grocery store this morning for some of the necessary ingredients. Necessary ingredients because I had to make these cookies. It wasn’t even an option anymore.

You know what my crazy idea was? I was going to turn a classic Italian Cannoli into a cookie. Why? Because I thought it would be good. Because I was inspired by RecipeGirl, but I don’t have time or patience (yet) to make Cannoli from scratch. Because Cannoli is good. Because Cookies are good. Because Eric wouldn’t stop saying “Katie’s Cannoli Cookies.”

And so I made them. They were good. They were very very good.

Katie’s Cannoli Cookies (as dubbed by Eric)
a goodLife {eats} creation

makes 2 dozen sandwiches or 4 dozen single cookies

• 1 c butter, softened
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1/4 c brown sugar, packed
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 c flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp orange zest
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 c finely chopped pistachios
  • cannoli filling, recipe follows
  • melted chocolate, recipe follows

Beat butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar and brown sugar, beating well. Add egg and vanilla, beat till combined.

Combine flour, baking powder, zest, and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture. Beat at medium speed. Stir in pistachios.

Shape dough into 2 – 6 inch logs. Wrap with wax paper and freeze until firm. Slice frozen dough into 1/8 inch thick rounds. Place rounds on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned at edges. Cool 1 minute on pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Fill with cannoli filling. Assemble sandwiches and drizzle with melted chocolate. Cool in refrigerator until chocolate has hardened.

Cannoli Filling
adapted from RecipeGirl

• 3/4 c whole milk ricotta (drained overnight with cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer and squeezed dry)
  • 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
  • 1/3 c powdered sugar
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla

Mix ingredients together. Fill a pastry bag or ziplock bag with filling. Chill until ready to use. To fill sandwiches, pipe filling on the underside of one cookie. Top cookie with another.

Melted Chocolate

• 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
  • 1 tsp shortening

Melt chocolate and shortening together. Drizzle over assembled cookies.

Maria - May 08, 2009 @ 8:02 pm

Love the last photo! They look fantastic!

3carnations - May 08, 2009 @ 8:06 pm

Those sound amazing!

Lanah - May 08, 2009 @ 8:40 pm

These look so yummy! Thank you for sharing, I’ve added a link to you on my new blog at http://www.theloveoffood.wordpress.com Keep up the great work and ideas!

Tania - May 08, 2009 @ 8:42 pm

Oh my….I cannot wait to make these! Now just need an occasion for them….oh look – it’s Wednesday next week!!Tania

Ashley - May 08, 2009 @ 8:58 pm

You are so creative!

Hoosier Homemade - May 08, 2009 @ 9:05 pm

Those sound really good! Thanks for sharing!~Liz

RecipeGirl - May 08, 2009 @ 9:59 pm

Yay! That was quick!! Those look fantastic!

Kate @ Stolen Moments - May 08, 2009 @ 10:14 pm

Wow Katie, those look incredible. I love cannoli too. I am definitely trying these soon. Great way to get creative.

Tami - May 09, 2009 @ 3:17 am

Oh WoW those look so sinfully delish. I so want to make these I may have to suffer the hot kitchen and give these a try.

Kelly - May 09, 2009 @ 3:07 pm

Yum. Those are definitely in my future…

Brittany (He Cooks She Cooks) - May 09, 2009 @ 3:17 pm

I love coming up with easier versions of my favorite things. And cannoli cookies are a great idea. These look awesome. I don’t have cannoli forms, but I can do this!

Justin - May 09, 2009 @ 4:35 pm

wow, the plain cookies looked great, but filling them and drizzling with chocolate… omg

Abby - May 10, 2009 @ 2:19 am

Genius! I’m afraid of the whole dough and tube thing for the REAL thing. So this is perfect.

Dimah - May 10, 2009 @ 6:58 am

These look fantastic!

Ciao Chow Linda - May 10, 2009 @ 11:21 am

Wish I had some with my tea right now. Bet they taste fabulous. The chocolate dribble photo is so inviting.

Sarah - May 11, 2009 @ 3:18 am

I think I’m in love!

jane maynard (this week for dinner) - May 11, 2009 @ 3:22 am

I LOVE CANNOLI. I’m a little obsessed, in fact. I will definitely have to try these…thanks for linking to them on your menu comment! :)

Banteringblonde - May 11, 2009 @ 3:32 am

OK … THIS could kill my current diet but I’m thinking that I’ll have to try it!

Colleen - May 11, 2009 @ 4:20 am

those look delicious!

gingerrwade - May 11, 2009 @ 8:15 pm

Yummy Italian recipe oh my! Another reason for me to gain… ha!

Kate - May 11, 2009 @ 10:35 pm

This is going to sound bizarre but I had exactly the same idea, completely independently. And as far as I had gotten it took a pretty similar form, only there was more flavoring in the filling. I was trying to figure out how to get that fried flavor into the cookies, but I hadn’t made it that far yet. Now I don’t have to!

Donna @ Way More Homemade - May 12, 2009 @ 4:51 am

I love me some cannoli & I'll bet these are great.

Amy - May 13, 2009 @ 1:42 am

OMG, these look scruptious!

Meg - May 13, 2009 @ 1:50 pm

I love cannolis! I am going to have to try these!

rookie cookie - May 19, 2009 @ 2:04 am

Thanks for contributing to Cookie Makes a Comeback! These were perfect because they aren’t your typical cookie and a twist on a classic dessert. Bravo!

Si - May 19, 2009 @ 4:48 am

These look delish!

Baking Recipes - June 09, 2009 @ 7:29 pm

I just wonder…how are you not afraid of experimenting!I am really scared of experimenting…I just go by the cookbooks…and haven't ever tried changing my track. But this one serves as an inspiration to begin with. Thanks a lot for boosting my morale up!

Martha - June 13, 2009 @ 3:59 pm

These cannoli cookies are so clever. What a great idea.

Katie - September 05, 2009 @ 4:46 am

I just made them and they are delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

Tia - December 03, 2009 @ 4:59 am

They turned out so well i have a paid order of these to do for xmas!

Hoosier Homemade - December 16, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

Thanks so much for joining the Cookie Exchange! Merry Christmas!~Liz

Colleen - July 20, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

How many sandwiches does this recipe yield? I'm trying to find a doable cannoli (esque) recipe for a potluck :]Thanks :D

Katie - July 21, 2010 @ 8:28 pm

Colleen – it will make about two dozen sandwiches.

Nina T. - August 09, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

I am soooooooooooo drooling…..cannolis are my weakness…..but I am just too darn lazy to make the shells myself…..did I mention I'm drooling? I mean literally salivating!!!Can't wait to try these!!!

Seanna Lea - October 26, 2010 @ 9:50 am

Do you think these would ship well? I am planning which cookies I’m mailing out for holiday gifts this year and I’m sure these would be a hit. I just want to make sure they are safe.

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — October 26th, 2010 @ 10:11 AM

The cookies – yes. The filling – no. You’d have to send the cookies alone with the recipe so the receiver could make the filling and assemble themselves. Unless, you plan to ship on dry ice you could possibly ship the filling in a separate container but I don’t know how that would work.

Candy Sartell - February 15, 2011 @ 6:37 am

Made them for me actually, but reluctantly shared them with the men I work with (plumbers & pipefitters) – always know a hit by their response “those were good… those were REALLY good!” was the verdict. Making more for my community’s firefighters next time I drop treats for their usual training night. Thank you!

Bonnie Banters - February 25, 2011 @ 10:31 am

Ok, being the cookie freak I am…these sound amazing – what a fantastic idea…to die for! I’m going to make them…how ingenious! Thanks!

Christine - June 22, 2012 @ 2:33 pm

My son and I make these every Christmas togeter and it is well worth it. They are the hit of the season, everyone loves them. We are Italian and I can say that these are very close to a true cannoli.

• Kelly Swenson replied: — November 28th, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

About how many does the one recipe make? I wanna make these for a holiday cookie walk and have to make 10 dozen cookies, so trying to see how many ingredients I need. Thanks!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — November 30th, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

The recipe makes 2 dozen sandwiches (4 dozen single cookies not assembled into sandwiches).

Kaitlyn - December 02, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

I found your site via Pinterest. I was interested in cookies I could make ahead and freeze. I hoped these could be my new christmas cookie. I made them today and was impressed. I need to change the ratio of cookie to filling a bit because I think my cookies were a little too thick. Since making these I have a few questions about serving. How long do you think the filling will last? How far in advance do you fill your cookies? Do you treat these like cannolis and if you take them somewhere fill them when you arrive? I hope to take these to my in-laws on Christmas day. They live an hour away. I am trying to decide how to transport them. Thanks for the great recipe!

• Katie Goodman

Katie replied: — December 2nd, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

I don’t make the filling more than 2 days ahead. I also do not assemble them until right before serving so the cookies do not get soggy. Hope that helps :)