OCT

Pumpkin Cobbler

Crisps and Cobblers, Dessert, Fall Recipes, Seasonal Recipes | 26 comments

Have you ever felt that you’re so utterly engrossed in the task at hand that nothing could distract you? As a mom, I know better. It’s a rare occasion that I’m not interrupted at least once when I’m busy doing whatever it is I’m busy doing. Even the mundane things. It’s hard to not be annoyed by the disruption, and I’ll be honest: I almost always fail in the not being annoyed (at least internally) department. I know I’m not the only mom out there feeling like if she could just not be interrupted that she’d get whatever thing it is done a million times faster. Okay, maybe more like a dozen times faster. It’s just a rule: interruption happens and mom’s plans are messed with.

Sometimes…you are interrupted for a very, very good reason. Minding my own business, making a pumpkin cobbler that I’ve been dreaming about oh for the past week or so and I hear that cry. That cry that means something is terribly wrong. The terribly wrong thing being that Madeline flew off the glider of our swing set and hit her head on the wood boarder that surrounds the play area.

(For the sake of any finger pointers out there, yes she was absolutely 100% supervised by an adult. In a freak accident she tried to get off while the glider was still swinging. If you’re a parent, you know, that sometimes things like this just happen no matter how careful you are, and when they do – it’s heartbreaking.)

So, we spent the evening in the ER as suggested by the nurse at our pediatrician’s office. We didn’t want to take any risks. She hit her head pretty hard and seemed a bit confused. When I hear talk of x-rays and CAT scans, I can’t think of anything other than: how in the world did we get here tonight? and…I hope we don’t catch whatever bug everyone else has that is in here sick.

In the end she turned out to be just fine. Her pupils were very responsive, she wasn’t bleeding, no bones were broken, and after a little time in our room in the ER she was back to her normal happy, bubbly self and she didn’t need any crazy scans. It could have been 10 times worse, but we were so lucky!

Now, where were was I? The pumpkin cobbler, that’s right. It didn’t make it for dessert that night as planed. Heck, we didn’t even eat dinner until after 8 pm by the time the partially started Chicken Pot Pie was out of the oven. Kids were even in bed before dinner was ready, so we weren’t really thinking about dessert. But it sure did make a good breakfast the next morning. And this time it was really dessert for breakfast, not just breakfast that tastes like dessert.

Pumpkin Cobbler

• 2 Tbs flour
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp allspice
  • dash nutmeg
  • 2 1/2 Tbs cold butter, cut into bits

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease 8 individual sized ramekins, set aside.

For the pumpkin: In a medium sized bowl, whisk the pumpkin, milk and egg together. Stir in the sugar, vanilla, and spices until well combined. Divide evenly among the 8 ramekins. Set aside. Rinse bowl.

For the topping: In the same, now rinsed bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and sugar. Stir in the zest. Melt the butter. Whisk the egg yolk into the melted butter and pour the mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until well combined and pea sized crumbs are formed. Divide this mixture evenly among the 8 ramekins, topping the pumpkin with the cobbler topping.

For the streusel: In the same bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and allspice. Stir in the butter until coated with the mixture and small bits are formed. You can also use a pastry cutter to help with this. Sprinkle on top of the topping in the 8 ramekins.

Place all the ramekins a top a baking sheet. Bake on the center rack in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until the mixture is set through and slightly browned on top. Cool 5 minutes before serving. Optionally, you can serve this with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Maria - October 20, 2009 @ 2:08 pm

I am glad she is ok! I am sure this pumpkin cobbler made her feel better. It looks amazing!

Amy J in SC - October 20, 2009 @ 2:27 pm

What a great idea. I'll have to try this while I have pumpkin on the brain. Glad Madeline was okay. :-]

Mixing Bowl Mama - October 20, 2009 @ 3:01 pm

Now that looks tasty…and I'm glad everything turned out okay.

Vanessa - October 20, 2009 @ 4:28 pm

Mmm looks yummy! I'm glad that Madeline is ok!

oneordinaryday - October 20, 2009 @ 4:41 pm

Oh my gosh. That cry is the worst, but I'm so glad she's okay.

Table Talk - October 20, 2009 @ 4:44 pm

I love a crumb topping and espeically love individual desserts–festive little pumpkin dessert!

sourcreamandjam - October 20, 2009 @ 8:47 pm

Oh my! I've made a lot of cobblers in my life, but never a pumpkin one. Looks divine!Isn't that cry just scary! It's good to hear your daughter's ok.

The Boehme Family - October 21, 2009 @ 12:13 am

I am going to go make this RIGHT NOW.I am so sorry you even need to include your little disclaimer in your post. How sad – the people who feel the need to reprimand a parent. Even under the most strict supervision, things happen.

Gina - October 21, 2009 @ 2:01 am

Wow, looks amazing!!

Kristi Case - October 21, 2009 @ 3:47 am

Distraction just happens-glad your little one is fine. I just cooked up some pumpkins today and am feeling oh so ready to try out that puree-do you think if I didn't bake it in ramekins, it would fit in an 8×8 dish?? I love baking this time of year.

Cara - October 21, 2009 @ 4:12 am

This looks so amazing! I'm so glad your little girl is okay

Ashley - October 21, 2009 @ 4:13 am

I'm oh SO glad that she is ok! What a terrifying experience. Your recipe looks delicious!

Katie @ goodLife {eats} - October 21, 2009 @ 1:53 pm

Krisit – it should work just fine in an 8×8. Just keep an eye on it, because the baking time will probably be a little longer.

Jenny - October 21, 2009 @ 10:15 pm

swooooooooon.. I have always been a huge fan of cobblers.. peach, blueberry – why not pumpkin? absolutely amazing!

Ellie - October 22, 2009 @ 2:09 am

I am so glad that Madeline is ok. I am yet to create a pumpkin recipe, your cobbler looks so YUM!

A Cupcake Life - October 23, 2009 @ 3:56 am

Oh no! Another dessert I am going to have to try! I love pumpkin pie but don't like pie crust. This is perfect!

Liz Rietz - October 27, 2009 @ 7:23 am

Oh Katie, I'm so so glad that Madeline is alright. How scary! This recipe looks simply fabulous!

Amy - October 27, 2009 @ 8:15 pm

Oh my word!! HOW SCARY! I hate it when you hear that cry- it is like you have swallowed your heart. I am so glad that she is okay.Unrelated, but that pumpkin cobbler looks divine!

LiLi - October 28, 2009 @ 1:27 pm

This is JUST the recipe I've been looking for. I don't have the individual ramikins so I'll be using a baking dish, but I must have this! LOL I'm pregnant and been on a pumpkin kick!!!i'm so glad your little one is OK!

Bethie - October 28, 2009 @ 5:56 pm

I coming over with the ice cream!! Watch for me. ;)

CookiePie - October 28, 2009 @ 8:40 pm

So glad your little one is ok!! The cobbler looks gorgeous too!

KreativeJunc - July 24, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

AH! Yes! Was looking for the standard cobbler recipe with the cake mix. realized I don't have a cake mix and found your recipe! Pumpkin Cobbler with regular pantry ingredients! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica - September 16, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

Oh goodness! I doubled the recipe and baked in a 9×13 at 375 and it took about 45-50 minutes. It turned out fantastic..Some of the crumb sunk a bit more than I would have liked..Maybe I’ll bake it halfway next time before I add the streusel. I started eating it before dinner was even started! Shameful sweets are the best sweets. Good job on this recipe and thank you!

Lu Voth - May 20, 2012 @ 10:17 pm

I had bought a Gift Pumpkin cobbler mix that was marked down, – after Christmas. It was delicious. So in looking for a recipe, found yours. I will try it. Looks pretty much close to what that mix was, and probably even better. I’m thankful that your daughter is okay. My children grew up in spite of those type of accidents. And their children have accidents also. Stuff happens – even when they’re well supervised. There better not be any finger pointers out there.

Pat - June 21, 2012 @ 4:14 pm

I have multiple food sensitivities, including dairy. Has anyone tried to substitute coconut oil for butter for something that crisps like the crumble topping? I was wondering if that would work? I would also have to use almond milk and egg substitute, but I think those would work with no problem. Thanks PS-My son fell on his head on concrete when trying to jump through the chains on a swing at an apartment complex. He spent the night in the hospital with a concussion and had headaches for a while thereafter, but no lasting problems. He is now father of six and has made many trips to the ER with his little ones. It’s a fact of life with kids.
    Glad yours is OK.

Lisa - September 18, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

This recipe is EXACTLY what I was looking for! And accidents do happen. Mine was at 7 that ended with me in the ER having a sewing machine needle that had bent into an L shape removed from my finger. My mom heard that cry!! Freak accidents happen too fast!!