FEB

Pasta with Gorgonzola Sauce and Beef Tenderloin

Beef, Holiday Recipes, Italian, Main Dish, Pasta, Valentine's Day | 29 comments

This Valentine’s Day did not turn out nearly as romantic as I had envisioned it, but these things happen. We did enjoy a wonderful dinner even if our 4 year old was at the table with us, the kitchen was a mess with dishes, and the family room was strewn with toys. We had a great, candle lit, fireplace glowing, music playing dinner last year, so I guess we’ve used up our quota for a while. Such is the life when you have 2 darling children.

IMG_1276-2
Regardless of the lack of romance in the atmosphere, our dinner did taste wonderful and was definitely something worth blogging about. I was so lucky that filet mignon was on sale at Sunflower Market and that I was able to get a small 1 pound package for this meal. A little bit goes a long way.

IMG_1294-2

The meat is so incredibly tender even though you hardly do a thing to it. The whole meal comes together incredibly fast, as it should since my original plan was to make dinner while Eric was upstairs putting kids to bed and surprise him with the whole shebang (or maybe that wouldn’t be a surprise since that is what I did last year), but oh well. It wouldn’t be any fun if life was perfect every day. Better luck next time. Happy Valentine’s Day! XOXO

Pasta with Gorgonzola Sauce and Balsamic Beef Tenderloin

• 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, plus extra for garnish
  • 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 8 ounces uncooked pasta, linquine or fettuccini
Toss the filet mignon medallions with the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Let rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare a pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

In a saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the beef. Cook without turning for 2-3 minutes, or until browned. Turn and repeat. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm. (If you would like the meat more well done, cook for additional time)

Combine the butter, half and half, chicken broth, and white wine in a saucepan. Bring to a slow simmer and stir in the Parmesan and Gorgonzola. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let simmer for 2 minutes, stirring to ensure the cheese has dispersed evenly.

Toss the pasta with the sauce and filet mignon medallions. Garnish with additional Gorgonzola.

Note: just before serving, I threw the asparagus into the pan I cooked the beef in. Sauteed it for a minute, poured a few glugs of white wine, and put the lid on it. After steaming it for a minute or two I seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. Serve it drizzled with some of the pan drippings you cooked it in.

Pili - February 15, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

Ooooh, sounds so totally yummy!!

Jessica @ How Sweet - February 15, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

LOVE gorgonzola. It is so delish with steak. This is an awesome meal! :)

Vanillastrawberryspringfields - February 15, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

Oh love that heart re ramekin mould so so muc…..cant find them anywhere at all……Beautifully stunning pics and amazing recipe

Cookin' Canuck - February 15, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

Beautiful photos! This meal is right up my alley – the combination of pasta, tender beef, and Gorgonzola is irresistible to me.I certainly understand what you mean about Valentine's Day with two kids present. It just doesn't have the same feel. For me, snuggling altogether in bed while opening our Valentine's cards was the best moment of the day.

Maria - February 15, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

Glad you had a nice family meal together. The photos look great. I love asparagus!

marla {family fresh cooking} - February 15, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

Our meal was kinda similar. Plans happen and then they are broken very quickly with the two small kiddos! Guess this is what I get 'cause I thrive on excitement! This Valentine's meal looks great. Love Filet Mignon!

Tasty Eats At Home - February 15, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

Sounds wonderful, in spite of the kids! It's just how life really is – but it makes those brief "alone" moments, Valentine's Day or not, that much more special. And the times when the kids change up the plans are still special too!

Amy from She Wears Many Hats - February 15, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

This look sooooo good. The photography is superb – maybe you'll be teaching us something this summer? Will try this one soon.

Jamie - February 15, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

That is such a fantastic dish and I'm dreaming of the flavors now! And it does look very romantic! Must keep this in mind next time I have to grease the wheels…. Beautiful!

diehardfoodie - February 15, 2010 @ 7:03 pm

Oh my word, this looks delicious! I was just looking for a delicious beef recipe and I think this is it! :) Thanks Kate!Rosemary

Jan (Family Bites) - February 15, 2010 @ 9:00 pm

I love gorgonzola and so often forget to use it in recipes. I think the combination of beef and pasta are perfect for it here and these photos – so stunning!

Chocolate Shavings - February 15, 2010 @ 10:32 pm

The gorgonzola/beef combo is always a winner in my book. This looks delicious!

James - February 15, 2010 @ 11:22 pm

It looks really great. And easy too

ABowlOfMush - February 16, 2010 @ 12:22 am

This sounds really delicious!! I LOVE gorgonzola!!

sassy stephanie - February 16, 2010 @ 12:36 am

Mmmm. Made this for dinner tonight, but used blue cheese, since I had it on hand. So yummy. My kiddos loved the steak.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction - February 16, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

Yum! Looks absolutely amazing… My hubby would love this one. :)

Natalie - February 16, 2010 @ 9:56 pm

That looks fantastic… I tend to shy away from gorgonzola, however your pasta has definitely sparked my interest!

Jennifer - February 16, 2010 @ 10:46 pm

I made a similar dish last night and it was so good. We used leftover beef tips

Deborah Mele - February 16, 2010 @ 10:51 pm

Looks great but didn't see the half & half listed in the directions. I am guessing it gets added to the wine, broth and butter?

We Are Not Martha - February 16, 2010 @ 11:50 pm

YUM! This looks like the perfect dinner. Basically a combination of all my favorite things. Definitely bookmarked!Sues

Connie Weiss - February 18, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

I had a similar dish at a restaurant and loved it!

Nadia - February 18, 2010 @ 5:27 pm

I never thought to add pasta to the beef and gorgonzola combo. Looks so delicious! It actually sounds sweet to have your 4 year old with you at the table :)

JamieB - February 22, 2010 @ 1:48 am

i made this last week — and it was so good! I bought a very fresh, very expensive piece of tenderloin (but i had extra $ in my budget this week!! so i splurged, instead of saved…) thanks for sharing!!

Megan - February 26, 2010 @ 12:15 am

This is a perfect meal for valentines. My hubs would love this dish. Who am I kidding, forget the hubs, I would LOVE this dish. To the printer it goes!

Cari Snell - July 31, 2010 @ 5:27 am

Love the gorgonzola paired with the filet! Yum! I'd love to feature your recipe with full links ad credits back to you on my site, http://www.canigettherecipe.com if you are keen, Katie! Please let me know!All the best,Cari

Theresa - September 18, 2010 @ 6:56 am

This looks great, but am I the only one that noticed the half and half and chicken broth are not used in the directions??

• Katie

Katie replied: — September 18th, 2010 @ 7:54 AM

Theresa – actually they are used. If you read the directions it says to combine the butter through white wine. Ingredients following those instructions would be butter, half and half, chicken broth, and white wine. This is common recipe lingo when working with items from a list rather than naming everything individually. But I will edit to avoid any confusion in the future. Sorry it didn’t make sense to you.

• Theresa replied: — September 18th, 2010 @ 2:54 PM

Thank you so much I am making this tonight for dinner!

Ashley - January 23, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

Just got finished making and eating this! So delicious and EASY to make! Thank you for posting this!